Nsara

X-Wing Miniatures Spring Survey

Hello everyone, I am a relatively new person here on the FFG forums, but have been around the X-Wing community for a few years now.

Recently I have started doing various X-Wing related projects such as making a poster version of the latest points update, making printable card storage box dividers and starting on a series of X-Wing miniatures surveys of the community. I did a survey back in January and got 947 replies. Since that was so successful, I am doing another survey for the Spring, but due to Covid 19, the survey is... not very active.

Up to this point I have only gotten 418 surveys done in a time period almost twice as long as the original survey, and am hoping that the FFG Community forums might have some people interested. Just like my previous survey, I will be taking the data, looking it over and releasing detailed infographics about the results, and even drawing comparisons of people's favorite factions vs other questions. Do CIS players  like the prequels best? Do First Order players like the sequels best? We will see.

Anyways here is the survey link:

https://forms.gle/S3mz1UytLvyQTCex7

Please take the survey if you can, its only around 24 questions and doesn't take long, as most are multiple choice. Also if you know others who might be interested, please encourage them to take the survey as well! I am planning on closing the survey on around March 15th, so please try to get it in before then! 

If anyone is also interested in my January survey, I have the 5 pages of infographics posted on the Friday Night X-Wing blog here:

https://fridaynightxwing.wordpress.com/2020/01/29/jan-2020-x-wing-miniatures-interest-survey/

There you can see things we found out such as:

• the TIE Defender is people's favorite ship (really?) with almost 8% of the vote
  • that people's collection size is most commonly between 31-70 ships
  • That the Galactic Empire has the most people choosing it as their primary faction (30.1%) compared to Rebels (26.4%)
  • The CIS and Resistance are seen as the least interesting factions by those surveyed (36.7% have no interest in collecting CIS and 34.5% have no interest in Resistance)
  • That 61.7% of people prefer to play the Extended format.
  • That 45.5% of people mostly play X-Wing at home
  • 57.7% of people want New Ships prioritized for X-Wing
  • 43.8% of players like cross-faction ships and hope that FFG makes more of them. 36.1% dislike them, and the rest don't really care
  • 80.3% of people like Non-Ship Expansions like Hotshots & Aces, Never Tell Me the Odds etc and want to see more.

and much more!

Thank you everyone for reading, and lets all hope that we can get back into local game stores and playing again soon!

Wow, took like a week to get my post approved. We are up to 420 responses thus far... really hoping to hit 450 or dare I say 500 before next week.

I encourage people to share the survey  to local and online X-Wing playgroups as well. The majority of X-Wing players are not very invested in the online community as I found in the previous survey. People here on the forums, on reddit and facebook are the very active minority of players.

My only slight niggle is with the question “For new content, what would you like prioritized?”, on the basis that I collect multiple factions and would prioritise different things for each.

For example, I’d like to see new ships for The Resistance, in particular the B- and Y-Wing variants from RoS, new Pilots (and/or old pilots converted from 1e) as card packs for Rebels, and new Epic content (including Huge Ships!) for The Republic and Separatists... 😉

For me....

I had a complete 1.0 collection, so I have all the factions because prequels have been where most new content is. 🙂 

I consider myself a republic player first, but I really enjoy scum and first order. In truth, I enjoy them all but those are some of the ones I’m most likely to reach for first.

I am at the point that aside from new prequel ships or maybe sequel ships, the biggest thing that excites me is new paint schemes with new pilots for old ships. The hotshot pack was awesome, and I’d like to see more of those.

I’m less likely to buy a net new ship chassis for the big 3 factions (razor crest excepted) than I am a card pack of pilots for my existing ships. For prequel factions and sequel factions, I’d like to see new ships: Y and B for Resistance (plus new Lando pilot and wedge gunner!) And really all the leaked prequel ships look amazing to me (eta2, vwing, etc)

2 hours ago, JBFancourt said:

Now THAT I’ll take!! And Tycho 

I want my Psycho Tycho back!

(ok, maybe we balance it to 2.0 and adjust his ability to a limited number of charges, so it’s like a multi-use contraband cybernetics instead of the raw “I just don’t care about stress anymore” from 1.0)

20 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

(ok, maybe we balance it to 2.0 and adjust his ability to a limited number of charges, so it’s like a multi-use contraband cybernetics instead of the raw “I just don’t care about stress anymore” from 1.0)

He was fun to fly against actually in 1.0 as his ability was great, but his chassis kept him in check.

I thought the same as charges would work for Tyco, and perhaps a force point for Carnor to use once per round to just one enemy ship at range 0-1 so he's not a dark hole in the board for opponents.

15 hours ago, CoffeeMinion said:

His absence was the deciding factor in trading away my Rebels. Bring him back and I’ll pick up enough to fly him again, FFG. Take the easy money!!

Anyway, decent lil survey!

Word.

If Carnor was in the Imp stable, it would make me get into 2.0 Imps farther than just a few ships. FFG is missing some easy cash.

On 5/12/2020 at 9:04 AM, clanofwolves said:

Agreed... need more fun, less crying and whining, haha!

The survey is well done BTW @Nsara

Thanks! This is my Second X-wing specific survey, and I got a bunch of input on questions before publishing it this time. I am excited to do breakdowns on data when I close the survey.

On 5/12/2020 at 10:03 AM, DexterOnone said:

My only slight niggle is with the question “For new content, what would you like prioritized?”, on the basis that I collect multiple factions and would prioritise different things for each.

For example, I’d like to see new ships for The Resistance, in particular the B- and Y-Wing variants from RoS, new Pilots (and/or old pilots converted from 1e) as card packs for Rebels, and new Epic content (including Huge Ships!) for The Republic and Separatists... 😉

Yeah, I can see that being an issue, but I was trying to minimize the number of questions. 20ish questions is a good sweet spot for surveys, because much longer and people will get discouraged and not complete it.

On 5/13/2020 at 5:47 AM, JBFancourt said:

TIE Aggresor 🤣🤣🤣🤣

5.6% of those surveyed want it for their top Empire reprint! Personally I am waiting for a new turret before I care. 30.6% of people, myself included want Star Wings reprinted the most.

Also...

Up to 514 responses now!

Thank you so much FFG forums for helping me get this far! I am probably gonna close the survey for new responses around Sunday/Monday and then begin crunching data into nice easily digestible infographics for the week or two after that.

On 5/13/2020 at 11:21 AM, ScummyRebel said:

Ooooo.....what if they changed it to where he could take a Strain or Deplete after a red move? Or maybe any time he would take a stress. 

I don't think that Tycho would be OP in 2.0, assuming a suitable price. Look how good Jake's ability is, and he's not dominating, because of the limits of the A-Wing itself. The problem is that the devs don't seem to want anything able to stack up unlimited stress. Maybe a compromise could be a rewording of the pilot ability to "You may perform [Focus] and [Boost] actions while stressed", locking him out of barrel roll, lock and evade unless he de-stresses but still allowing focus>boost otherwise.

1 hour ago, Silver_leader said:

Since I am a 7-years X-wing player I got raptically all the stuff from 1.0. So I don't care for reprints.

But card packs and new ships, h*ll yeah !!! 

I get that. I’m much the same way, however we have to allow for other players to eventually be able to pick up the stuff without having to go to eBay for insanely inflated prices on Star Wings. There aren’t as many net new players as ffg supposed at first which is why rerelease has slowed, but there are a good chunk. Maybe half my core play group at the time of the lockdown starting was net new to xwing in 2.0 (though they have been busy poaching cheaper “getting out” bulk sales from others quitting to help offset)

57 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

I get that. I’m much the same way, however we have to allow for other players to eventually be able to pick up the stuff without having to go to eBay for insanely inflated prices on Star Wings. There aren’t as many net new players as ffg supposed at first which is why rerelease has slowed, but there are a good chunk. Maybe half my core play group at the time of the lockdown starting was net new to xwing in 2.0 (though they have been busy poaching cheaper “getting out” bulk sales from others quitting to help offset)

I completely agree with that. Just saysing that in my answers to the survey, I don't care for reprints :)

I'm interested to see what happens if you remove the large percentage of at home players affecting the preferred mode (hyperspace vs extended). I have a feeling that group tends to "want to use all my stuff*

So I am working on the infographics now. We finished with a total of 661 survey responses!

I have 2 pages of infographics done so far, and will probably have 2-3 more to do for a total of 4 or 5 pages. Thanks everyone who participated! I plan on sharing the data as soon as I finish.