Sign in to follow this  

Beyond our dimension

I tried to build something with the parallel requirements last night, assuming standalone solo.  With only five slots, I couldn't justify any Guardian cards  There are quite a few blue Willpower skill cards that would be fun, but in solo, she just has to have Shriveling and probably Mists in those slots.   

Posted (edited)

I was going to ask, are there any level 0 Guardian cards that work particularly well in Daisy? Nothing immediately jumped to mind when I saw the new deck building options.

Edit: Maybe Alice Luxley? Although Seekers already have a lot of strong allies.

Edited by Assussanni

11 minutes ago, Assussanni said:

I was going to ask, are there any level 0 Guardian cards that work particularly well in Daisy? Nothing immediately jumped to mind when I saw the new deck building options.

I thought she might like taking a gun instead of Shriveling, but then you want Bandolier so you can hold Tomes.  Tetsuo can dig for Tomes once you off him.

45 minutes ago, Assussanni said:

Luxley + Glyphs is a fun combo for Joe, and it's probably better for Parallel Daisy since she doesn't have much else in the way of self-defense (plus, if you keep her normal front, she can keep the Glyphs topped up with Book of Shadows (3)). Scene of the Crime is another handy Detective tool, since you can use Shortcut and Pathfinder to readjust your position before your first action. Hallowed Mirror is always a good choice for an odd off-class card if you're not already using the accessory slot.

Posted (edited)

I like the idea of re-imagined investigators, but Parallel Daisy's front seems far worse compared to her regular front and honestly I don't really understand what they were going for here. 

Her willpower boosting through tomes and ability to use a bunch once per game seem to encourage breadth of tomes, but the payoff to get it all set up is quite weak. Spending actions on your turn to activate 1 or more seems like it would be a really bad idea in a game. Being able to activate them all once per game doesn't strike me as nearly that great.

Maybe in actual play it will be far stronger than it seems, but I can't help looking at it and saying it's Daisy but worse.

Edited by Ildirin

Posted (edited)

I have had some very clutch plays with Dynamite Blast when I play Rex,  so I would say that is definitely solid.   IMO Dynamite blast is a far better card in Seeker than it is in Guardian.    So that might be compelling.

But if you want a small amount of off-class cards, you probably could just play Rex and not have to give up your high level seeker cards.   

I agree that the back of the parallel investigator card nevertheless still seems to have some degree of promise,  where the front part is pretty awful.

Edited by awp832

1 hour ago, Ildirin said:

I like the idea of re-imagined investigators, but Parallel Daisy's front seems far worse compared to her regular front and honestly I don't really understand what they were going for here. 

Her willpower boosting through tomes and ability to use a bunch once per game seem to encourage breadth of tomes, but the payoff to get it all set up is quite weak. Spending actions on your turn to activate 1 or more seems like it would be a really bad idea in a game. Being able to activate them all once per game doesn't strike me as nearly that great.

That was my first thought as well. Even if you manage to trigger four Tomes simultaneously, that just means you've been spending most of the scenario with four hand slots blocked with Will boosters (since, realistically, you won't be using more than one--maybe two--action Tomes at once). If all you want is the Will boost, you can always just hold the Cameras instead.

I think the ideal use case for her is to just ignore the once-per-game effect and load yourself up with non-action Tomes. It's easier to make use of multiple passive effects, after all.

37 minutes ago, awp832 said:

But if you want a small amount of off-class cards, you probably could just play Rex and not have to give up your high level seeker cards.   

I mostly agree with you, but bear in mind that her Tome access will only get better later on. As I've said before, Parallel Daisy is the only investigator who can combo Book of Shadows (3) with Archaic Glyphs (Guiding Stones), which is quite potent if you keep her front side.

sure, tome access will get better for parallel daisy later on.    But level 4-5 seeker cards will also get better.   So I don't see that as being necessarily in Parallel Daisy's favor.  

Book of Shadows3/ Guiding Stones is sort of a nice combo,  but it seems slow,  since you won't have Daisy's free tome action/turn.   Definitely give it a try and let us know how it goes,   but I suspect it won't be that strong.   

3 hours ago, awp832 said:

Book of Shadows3/ Guiding Stones is sort of a nice combo,  but it seems slow,  since you won't have Daisy's free tome action/turn.   Definitely give it a try and let us know how it goes,   but I suspect it won't be that strong.   

By "front side," I meant using Original Daisy's ability with Parallel Daisy's deckbuilding.

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2020 at 10:23 PM, rsdockery said:

You can use either front with either back.

Yes.  My misunderstanding was that I thought he was talking about deck options using just her parallel card at that point. 

Edited by Mimi61

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2020 at 6:40 AM, Allonym said:

Precisely.

Yes.  My misunderstanding was that I thought you were only talking about using  her parallel card at that point. My bad, sorry. 😔

Edited by Mimi61

14 hours ago, Mimi61 said:

Yes.  My misunderstanding was that I thought you were only talking about using  her parallel card at that point. My bad, sorry. 😔

No need to apologise! It's all-too easy to be unclear with this particular new mechanic.

On 5/7/2020 at 4:50 PM, Assussanni said:

Copied from the previous page: Guard Dog (very appropriate if you're familiar with The Dunwich Horror); Venturer to top up Fingerprint Kits (shame that Strange Solution is level 4); Dynamite Blast if running a Milan build or otherwise piling up the resources; Alice Luxley for more static Intellect boosts and potentially handy direct damage to enemies (nice synergy with Archaic Glyphs (Prophecy Foretold)); Beat Cop together with something like Machete/.45 Thompson for a janky hybrid build (add Charisma, Milan, Scientific Theory and Dream Diary (Dreams of a Madman)); Tetsuo Mori to help tutor out even more Tomes; Take the Initiative if using Practice Makes Perfect; Hallowed Mirror as a one-of to fill up the 5th off-class slot; Daring if using Shrivelling; Inspiring Presence for synergy with taboo Dr Milan Christopher; and the general-purpose Guardian cards that anyone could find a use for, like Dodge, Delay the Inevitable, Second Wind, First Watch, etc.