Sign in to follow this  
Riggswolfe

Did I do XPs for an Eye for an Eye right?

We spent all Saturday playing through it. The PCs succeeded brilliantly other than never finding the hammer and the beastmen getting the painting.

They risked their necks to save as many staff as possible, literally carrying their unconscious bodies back to the Lord's room where they barricaded themselves in and saved almost everyone except the Kennel Master and the guardsmen.

So. I read the XPs at the end.

The ending stuff said to give:

1 XP per chapter. (3 XPs total)
1 XP for defeating all cultists.
1 XP for something else (I'm blanking, but it was something they did.)

On top of that there is the traditional 1 XP for playing and I gave them the 1 for good RP.

That was 7 XPs! It seemed like a ton. Did I give out WAY too many?

To me, that seems a little excessive, yes.

I would have worked with fortune points more during, instead of XP at the end.

Plus, the chapters aren't really that long in Eye for an eye, I would only give them XP for clearing the adventure, OR the chapters. 1 bonus XP for both saving alot of people and killing all the cultists together. Or perhaps a different kind of reward... Make a good ally out of Aschaffenberg (he did come from a family & was brought into a family... good allies are powerful tools as well)

That means at best 3-4 XP to combine the excellent roleplay & the one thing you are drawing a blank on.

This way, you at least get to run 2 adventures before they come out of their first career.

But on the other hand, it depends on how quickly you want to advance into your own adventures, or conversions of old modules.

I wouldn't give more than 1 XP per session (and my group tends to have 6-8 hour sessions), and at most 1 bonus XP for accomplishing a major goal (finishing the adventure in a good way, in this case). When the characters have some experience under their belt, I may give even less XP than that. It looks like WFRP will have really rapid advancement otherwise.

Something I appreciated in the GM Toolkit was the bit about rewards other than XP. They're for the most part no-brainers, but sometimes even a veteran GM needs reminding. 

Consider other rewards to pass out than XP if you feel you're advancing the party too fast. A contact or item or even a bonus one-use fate point here and there can go a long way toward making the players feel rewarded for their actions.

I've actually houseruled XP points to avoid this sort of situation.

Though it makes it more complicated, I made each "old" XP point worth 100 "new" XP points. This means that it's still easy to keep track of advances, but it allows me to dole out XP at a much more controlled pace; good roleplaying in a scene may result in an award of 10XP or so, while completing a mission could be a 50XP reward.

This means that you can give out XP rewards as well as fortune points and other awards in a much more controlled manner, and slow advancement down considerably if that is something you want to do.

I generally award 50XP per "session" (Which is actually two sessions for us, we play twice a week for 2 hours at each sitting), plus any bonuses that might have been gained. I don't think anyone has gotten over 125 XP in a single week yet, which should help tide us over until they come out with some advancement rules beyond Rank 3.

I don't give XP for good roleplaying at all. I never liked that anyway, because you always end up rewarding the same players, and they just grow even faster in power, and claim even more limelight. It's destabilises the group, in my opinion. I like the WFRP3 mechanism of rewarding individual excellence through fortune points in the party's fortune pool, that are shared by everybody equally. The good roleplayer still gets the glory, but everybody else shares in the reward.

mcv said:

I don't give XP for good roleplaying at all. I never liked that anyway, because you always end up rewarding the same players, and they just grow even faster in power, and claim even more limelight. It's destabilises the group, in my opinion. I like the WFRP3 mechanism of rewarding individual excellence through fortune points in the party's fortune pool, that are shared by everybody equally. The good roleplayer still gets the glory, but everybody else shares in the reward.

It depends on how you do it. If you award a strong roleplayer points for continuing to be a strong roleplayer, you're really not doing it properly in my opinion. I would tend to award points to a player who never roleplays for doing some minor things, talking in-character, writing a character biography, etc.

You should award individual players for stepping up their game, rather than the group, as that doesn't necessarily motivate people to play well individually.

5 should be about the max xp they should get for an eye for an eye and that's if they finished it, role played well, captured all the cultists and either prevented the summoning or killed the demon, where highly entertaining and the adventure took them a couple nights.

The 1 xp per chapter was with a caveat that it took more then 1 session to finish up the game.

I would suggest if you want to be more rewarding with xp without unbalancing things.  Change xp's to 100 increments and then you can hand out partial rewards.  Alternatively try and work in other non-xp rewards.  Fortune points, favors, renown, access to training or items (not free though) that they may not normally get.  Give them the feeling that they are getting more for their efforts then they would have if they just floundered their way through it.

I liken it to a video game.  Where there are people that just finish the game then others who explore every nook and cranny do all the side missions, find the collectibles and 100% it.  Both groups finish the game but the 2nd group gets way more bang for their buck.