Kyle Ren

yet another forum dumpsterfire, move along

I miss the good old days when someone could post an opinion and not be drug into a fight because the opinion upsets people. It really seems a lot of people are putting a ton of effort into drawing this out to make a fight. Opinions are just that, they are opinions, not facts. I don’t believe anyone here is going to change anyone else’s mind, especially when the one who posted their opinion seems to have no interest in discussing it, and honestly who could blame them, the way a ton of posters here love to stir a pot and then say see what they are saying/doing, and often times ignoring the words or actions they took in feeding the dumpster fire. Let it go and find something meaningful to discuss, or keep fanning the flames, calling people out and changing the name of the thread to instigate more issues. This has been a problem here for quite sometime now, there’s always people who must be right and are willing to go to whatever depths are necessary to call someone out. Most of us here have reading comprehension and can understand what is being spelled out on the page, no need for a guide to take us through what someone else is saying, especially when some read whatever they want to into it. Whatever happened to people being entitled to their own opinion? As to the discussion that led to this, some of us want to cower in the corner in fear for our lives and some of us want some form of normalcy to return, pick which camp you’re in and talk about plastic spaceships. We’re all getting antsy from being cooped up, there are better ways to spend your time, maybe some of us will figure that out one day, or keep being an internet warrior, trying to silence unpopular opinions and finding meaning in their beliefs (that everyone else should share BTW). 

My only comment for the thread, I know what my beliefs are and I’m not interested in trying to bring you around to my way of thinking nor you bringing  me around to yours. 

4 minutes ago, Vykk Draygo said:

Opinions are just that, they are opinions, not facts.

I mean, god knows on these forums people drag each other into all kind of pointless arguments over insignificant opinions (Last Jedi, anyone?).

But as a society we are far too quick to play the "That's just like... your opinion, man" card as a get out of jail free card in the course of a discourse.  "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion" or "all opinions are equal (or, at least, not resolvable)" has to do with non-moral, or aesthetic, judgments.  Bob thinks Aces are the hardest lists to fly.  Phil thinks Aces are X-Wing on easy mode.  Great, who cares?  Live and let play.  But beliefs about moral/political issues are not just mere opinions.  They are expressing stances about the courses of action that should be taken--they are expressing normative attitudes for how we should value (or not value) elements of our world, including among so many other things, the actual lives of others.  Equivocating the two sorts of disagreements, as so many do so often, has been one of the absolute greatest failings of American discourse.

Star Trek vs Star Wars is one thing.  There isn't anything at stake in settling that, and we have no need to settle it.  Let people prefer what they prefer. But a moral-political debate is another beast entirely.  We have to settle it in the best way we can, because there are practical considerations, implications, and consequences for societies and their members, and there are very real stakes on the line. 

36 minutes ago, Vykk Draygo said:

I miss the good old days when someone could post an opinion and not be drug into a fight because the opinion upsets people. It really seems a lot of people are putting a ton of effort into drawing this out to make a fight. Opinions are just that, they are opinions, not facts. I don’t believe anyone here is going to change anyone else’s mind, especially when the one who posted their opinion seems to have no interest in discussing it, and honestly who could blame them, the way a ton of posters here love to stir a pot and then say see what they are saying/doing, and often times ignoring the words or actions they took in feeding the dumpster fire. Let it go and find something meaningful to discuss, or keep fanning the flames, calling people out and changing the name of the thread to instigate more issues. This has been a problem here for quite sometime now, there’s always people who must be right and are willing to go to whatever depths are necessary to call someone out. Most of us here have reading comprehension and can understand what is being spelled out on the page, no need for a guide to take us through what someone else is saying, especially when some read whatever they want to into it. Whatever happened to people being entitled to their own opinion? As to the discussion that led to this, some of us want to cower in the corner in fear for our lives and some of us want some form of normalcy to return, pick which camp you’re in and talk about plastic spaceships. We’re all getting antsy from being cooped up, there are better ways to spend your time, maybe some of us will figure that out one day, or keep being an internet warrior, trying to silence unpopular opinions and finding meaning in their beliefs (that everyone else should share BTW). 

My only comment for the thread, I know what my beliefs are and I’m not interested in trying to bring you around to my way of thinking nor you bringing  me around to yours. 

I am in the same boat, and could not have said it better myself. 

The irony is that those that belittled and attacked others for their opinions here are the ones that claimed they were victims of a toxic community, not knowing they were the ones gatekeeping and bringing that toxicity to these forums.

29 minutes ago, Shadowshand said:

I am in the same boat, and could not have said it better myself. 

The irony is that those that belittled and attacked others for their opinions here are the ones that claimed they were victims of a toxic community, not knowing they were the ones gatekeeping and bringing that toxicity to these forums.

Yes, that last line is not only what’s wrong with forums in general but with the world as a whole. It’s no longer opinions and logical discussion, it’s now your wrong I’m right and god damnit everybody needs to get on the same page with me and attack this guy. As a whole most of the human race is doomed due to this mentality and the inability to see anything past: Hey this guy is wrong, pitchforks people, lets get him.

****, it could be that the current state of affairs is what we all deserve for what we’ve let society and the world at large become. The only attacks we should be worried about here are the ones involving dice and plastic spaceships, but we left that dangling in the wind quite some time ago. I for one will be glad when we can get games in again and have some logical, and at times illogical discussions on actual gameplay again. I know I’ve reduced trips here lately because there is nothing constructive going on.

Leave this place for discussion about XWM and go to one of the thousands of other places where you can discuss current affairs of the world or gather yourself a nice little posse to attack others and then blame the whole situation on them. I’ll come back in the morning to see that this thread was locked.

Stay OT Leader I’ve enjoyed much of your contributions to these forums over the years and look forward to more, glad to see you take the high road and not get into an argument here. Any opinions we have on things not related to XWM really have no bearing on this game we play the same as this game we play has no bearing on the world at large. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2020 at 9:13 PM, kris40k said:

Earlier this morning I was like, "****, didn't I block this guy before?" checked my ignore list, "Oh yeah, its that guy..."

His usernames are legion, for he is many.

I think ol' two accounts may have spent far too much of his furlough watching Logan's Run.

Edited by FTS Gecko

9 minutes ago, Vykk Draygo said:

Stay OT Leader I’ve enjoyed much of your contributions to these forums over the years and look forward to more, glad to see you take the high road and not get into an argument here. Any opinions we have on things not related to XWM really have no bearing on this game we play the same as this game we play has no bearing on the world at large. 

tenor.gif?itemid=13726807

1 hour ago, Vykk Draygo said:

Yes, that last line is not only what’s wrong with forums in general but with the world as a whole. It’s no longer opinions and logical discussion, it’s now your wrong I’m right and god damnit everybody needs to get on the same page with me and attack this guy. As a whole most of the human race is doomed due to this mentality and the inability to see anything past: Hey this guy is wrong, pitchforks people, lets get him.

****, it could be that the current state of affairs is what we all deserve for what we’ve let society and the world at large become. The only attacks we should be worried about here are the ones involving dice and plastic spaceships, but we left that dangling in the wind quite some time ago. I for one will be glad when we can get games in again and have some logical, and at times illogical discussions on actual gameplay again. I know I’ve reduced trips here lately because there is nothing constructive going on.

Leave this place for discussion about XWM and go to one of the thousands of other places where you can discuss current affairs of the world or gather yourself a nice little posse to attack others and then blame the whole situation on them. I’ll come back in the morning to see that this thread was locked.

Vanilla vs. chocolate is a difference of opinion. However, we should help people vs. if they die, they die...

"That's just like, your opinion, man" has limits.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Stay OT Leader said:

This.  Still this.

There is the possibility that they don't care what you believe, but that they care about that belief being spread around. Remaining silent can easily be mistaken for approval.

And while I'm at it, and this is not in reply to SOTL: we can pretend that politics should be left at the door, and threads like this make me wish we did. But the truth is, we don't just discuss the game itself. We also discuss the immediate surroundings of the game. Where events like a Brexit or a global pandemic impact the supply chain and hence the accessibility of new products, and as result the fairness within large events. Where the (in)ability of our local governments affect our ability to meet up and play the game offline. Where the cease&desist on some FFG product on TTS might affect our own ability to play online. Politics affect the game, whether we like it or not, and that fact brings politics into discussions.

10 hours ago, Vykk Draygo said:

Whatever happened to people being entitled to their own opinion?

Everyone is as much entitled to their opinion as the next one is to calling that opinion bad and the person stupid for having it. "You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to what you can argue for." If you are not willing to defend it, then why share it in the first place?

If “Everyone’s entitled to their opinion” just means no-one has the right to stop people thinking and saying whatever they want, then the statement is true, but fairly trivial. No one can stop you saying that vaccines cause autism, no matter how many times that claim has been disproven.

But if ‘entitled to an opinion’ means ‘entitled to have your views treated as serious candidates for the truth’ then it’s pretty clearly false. And this too is a distinction that tends to get blurred.

https://theconversation.com/no-youre-not-entitled-to-your-opinion-9978

Edited by GreenDragoon

On 5/3/2020 at 3:03 PM, LTuser said:

Anyways - what was the poll about?  How will Europe cope after this is all over?

Me personally I am a little freaked out by the pandemic. I am worried about my parents, friends and myself (I am a heavy smoker).  I was never a fan of game nights - I play mostly at home but I do like the weekend tournaments. I hope to get back to normal but I will wait until it’s safe. When will that be - when the doctors say it is 

9 hours ago, Vykk Draygo said:

A while back i got banned from one Non-gaming site, which DID have a heavily politics allowed 'sub-forum' area.  BUT since my politics was not in with the 'hip crowd' (the mods and their pet posters), i got effectively driven out due to not being in the group think.

That imo is one of the biggest shank ups, we have these days..  People calling for other voices to get silenced, just because they think differently than you do.

What ever happened to one of my favorite quotes from the past

"I may not agree with a **** thing you ever say, but i will fight till my last breath to allow you to say it"..

These days it seems that phrase has morphed into

"Unless your opinions and speech match my own, i will fight to permanently silence you"..

13 hours ago, LTuser said:

Let's just nuke the planet from orbit...

...honestly?  I really wouldn't joke about that at the moment.

It's only a matter of time before the words like "blame", "responsibility" and "held accountable" start being flung around. 

Interesting thread.

As far as opinions go, they're fantastic and discussions should always be the ultimate point of forums and they should be allowed to be organic and go their own way; 'tis the ultimate point of communication 'eh?

As far as COVID goes, I'm with the Swedes and mates who are in the medical profession I know and trust. We should simply use our brains: if we at risk or if there are those who are around us due to age/medical condition (during ANY cold/flu season btw) keep exposure down and cleanliness up. But if you're healthy, live your f-ing life as you see fit. In other words, "herd immunization."

I find it really odd that this whole thing was first undersold then pushed like **** by the talking heads, it's all more than a bit shady. I think we're slowly learning what the real deal is about this thing. The truth is slowly leaking out. In any event, I can't wait till everything is back to freedom first and we can enjoy each other's company in all ways people deem OK on their own, by their own choices; you know, the whole 'American Constitution' model? 

...either way we go, I love reading the chats, while enjoying a good tea.

On 5/9/2020 at 5:07 PM, Hiemfire said:

How is that part "toxic"? I get that it stirs a negative response from you because of the experience you inferred, but unlike allot of their other posts the portion you quoted is actually a mature way of looking at life. Death is inevitable and should not be feared but rather embraced and accepted does not mean "just give up and die already"...

The idea that someone who can’t work a 9-5 has outlived their usefulness is toxic, capitalist garbage that shapes the way our society is built. That’s what he meant.