Kyle Ren

yet another forum dumpsterfire, move along

On 5/11/2020 at 8:05 AM, Naerytar said:

I never liked that statement and I'll explain why.

Imagine a bar fight. Just two drunk dudes getting into a fist fight.
Now, people don't just start punching each other, right? That's not how it works. It's a series of steps. First there's insults, then there's screaming. Then some shoving and finally fists start flying. It escalates, but it always starts with words.

The same exact principle applies to society as a whole.
Picture your favorite atrocity in human history. You think that stuff just happened out of the blue? Of course not. First people were just talking about it, then more people were talking about it... and then at some point it happened.

That's what I mean with "Opinions don't exist in a vacuum". Words lead to actions. Opinions don't just exist, they have an effect on the real world.

So if someone came to you and said "You know, that <favorite atrocity> thing? I think we should try that again!". Would you fight till your last breath to allow him to say it?
If you would, ok fine. Maybe then more people start thinking the same... then more... then more... then history repeats itself and... surprised Pikachu face?

So no, not all opinions should just be respected. Some deserve pushback.
The amount of pushback depends. I think, a good rule of thumb is asking yourself "What if 90% of the population believed that?". The reaction to voicing an opinion should depend on how messed up the result of that scenario would be.

This is a perfect analogy. While a small few are involved in a bar fight over "opinions" everyone else can see it for what it really is; a handful of drunken morons that cannot understand anything at all and think shouting louder is winning an argument. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, codytx2 said:

F*** you and the horse you rode in on. How is that for Texan for ya?

I mean, if you're trying to prove Texans are rude, crude, and primitive, I guess it works.

Not my fault it was a guy from Texas who implied it.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/texas-lieutenant-governor-says-seniors-would-rather-face-coronavirus-than-kill-economy/

The statement received a fair amount of criticism for being compassionless and out of line. 

Edited by Darth Meanie

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, JJH_BATMAN said:

The only way in h*ll this thread is still open is that the mods are finding it funny to read all this BS.

I've had the feeling the forum isn't even being monitored for a few months now. Not just this thread have gotten pretty nasty and community rules have been broken all over the place but I haven't seen any policing action or anything even close to it. Am I alone on this observation?

Edit add: @kris40k Ninja. Hadn't read that last post lol sorry dude.

Edited by ForceSensitive

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, LTuser said:

With as often as those experts keep being proven wrong, or 'mislead', i'd rather trust a used car salesman, thanks..

That...that...that just seems utterly ridiculous. Experts and used car salesman can both be wrong in their respective fields.

If I was building a rocket to take someone to the moon and I had a used car salesman saying "It will get you where you're going safe!" and a rocket scientist saying "It will probably crash and burn" I'll go with the rocket scientist.

Just like if I was buying a used car, I wouldn't consult a rocket scientist, I'd consult a mechanic. A used car salesman is just there to get me to buy the car.

There are a reason people are trusted in their fields, not because the are infallible, but because they know more than someone outside their profession.

Let me put it this way. I remember reading an article where an experiment was done, I think it was by a newspaper The Observer (I was right, source) I think, pitted Professional Investors, a Team of Students and a Cat against each other for a year. They were given an imaginary £5000 at the start.

At the conclusion, the cat beat both the professional bankers and the team of students. The cat ended up with £5,542.60, the Investors with £5,176.60, and the students ended up with £4,840 (source).

The cat was choosing companies to invest in by throwing his toy mouse on a grid of numbers with each number representing a different company, while the professionals used their 'decades of investment knowledge'. Now, even though the cat came out on top...I'd still rather go to the professionals for y'know...professional advice rather than the random throws of a cat. I will also point out, yes the Cat made more, the professionals still increased their shares while the inexperienced students came out at a loss.

There's a reason we trust people with experience in a profession on a particular subject.

Edited by Ebak

11 minutes ago, dwaynehicks said:

Does this place even have mods?

Sometimes? They don't do much, but every now and then a thread like this crops up and usually gets locked before it gets this far.

1 hour ago, dwaynehicks said:

Does this place even have mods?

Warnings, suspensions, thread locks/moves/deletions, a few bans, and the occasional intervention mod post all used to happen with fair regularity.

Welcome to the Wild West FFG Forum era.

16 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

I mean, if you're trying to prove Texans are rude, crude, and primitive, I guess it works.

Not my fault it was a guy from Texas who implied it.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/texas-lieutenant-governor-says-seniors-would-rather-face-coronavirus-than-kill-economy/

The statement received a fair amount of criticism for being compassionless and out of line. 

Libel an entire state based on one person & we are the ones rude, crude, & primitive? Gotcha.  Not everyone is a cultist that automatically agrees with everything our leaders say. Stop projecting.  

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise? I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life... He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying. The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. It's ironic he could save others from death, but not himself.

41 minutes ago, codytx2 said:

Libel an entire state based on one person & we are the ones rude, crude, & primitive? Gotcha.  Not everyone is a cultist that automatically agrees with everything our leaders say. Stop projecting.  

Y'all elected him. 

Sometimes when I travel, I have to cope with the fact that the USA elected Trump, and I am labeled based on the actions of those Americans, despite my personal opinions.

When I get in that situation, I tell them it doesn't reflect my personal world view.  I don't tell them to **** off.

19 hours ago, codytx2 said:

This is a perfect analogy. While a small few are involved in a bar fight over "opinions" everyone else can see it for what it really is; a handful of drunken morons that cannot understand anything at all and think shouting louder is winning an argument. 

Could be you should follow your own advice and stop projecting that I mean you personally.

2 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Y'all elected him. 

Sometimes when I travel, I have to cope with the fact that the USA elected Trump, and I am labeled based on the actions of those Americans, despite my personal opinions.

When I get in that situation, I tell them it doesn't reflect my personal world view.  I don't tell them to **** off.

Could be you should follow your own advice and stop projecting that I mean you personally.

Don't remember "Let the old folks die off so I can get my haircut" as an official campaign slogan.  

If it bothers you so much that you have to correct people when you travel maybe don't bring the same attitude back. Other people having a *** attitude doesn't justify you having one also. 

You are right I should of not let myself be pulled down with the rest of the morons. 

20 hours ago, codytx2 said:

F*** you and the horse you rode in on. How is that for Texan for ya?

11 minutes ago, codytx2 said:

Other people having a *** attitude doesn't justify you having one also. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣