Kyle Ren

yet another forum dumpsterfire, move along

Posted (edited)

doing a poll on COVID and X-Wing, your answers would be appreciated

https://forms.gle/VxNsZLwojBuaHnmQ9

Edit: this community sucks, changing the title so the mods will see it and kill this piece of **** thread

Another edit: most of you are alright people and this isn't getting locked but I like that we socially distanced ourselves from it anyway

Edited by Kyle Ren

A quick clarification I feel is necessary. For context, most of my answers fall in the “in a month, still worried about Covid” line.

When I talk about returning to play games physical, it wouldn’t be quite as I had before. I’d still try to keep my distance, avoid touching other people’s stuff (while asking for the same in return), wear a mask, probably wear gloves, and perhaps make some different list decisions (lower ship counts, avoid “in your face” ships to avoid traffic jams, etc.).

Probably not playing for a while.

I answered "other reasons" for not going to a System Open next weekend, since even though I wouldn't go due to COVID, there are none near me, so I wouldn't be going anyhow, and wanted that recorded.  Big events, at least for me, are just too far away.

Not playing until the people with a qualified opinion on infectious diseases say that it is safe. 

I am not shocked or upset, but this poll is written in a fairly slanted way. It uses leading language and scenarios (everyone else is going!). It doubles the most widely circulated time frame for a vaccine. It splits the no answers into multiple options while leaving possible variations of "yes" lumped together. 

1 hour ago, SabineKey said:

(lower ship counts, avoid “in your face” ships to avoid traffic jams, etc.).

Practice social distancing by running Supernat Kylo Points Fortress!

1. You'll never actually get close enough to your opponents to actually be in danger of contact

2. Nobody will want to play with you anyway

4 minutes ago, Npmartian said:

Practice social distancing by running Supernat Kylo Points Fortress!

1. You'll never actually get close enough to your opponents to actually be in danger of contact

2. Nobody will want to play with you anyway

Eh, that may be a bit too extreme of measures to take.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, RebelProfundity said:

Not playing until the people with a qualified opinion on infectious diseases say that it is safe. 

I am not shocked or upset, but this poll is written in a fairly slanted way. It uses leading language and scenarios (everyone else is going!). It doubles the most widely circulated time frame for a vaccine. It splits the no answers into multiple options while leaving possible variations of "yes" lumped together. 

this was precisely the reason I worded it like that, because this is the scenario I think is most likely. I already see a lot of people champing at the bit to leave quarantine, and I think it's very likely that the quarantine ends very soon and people go back to the game stores, and I wanted to see what % of the community was still nervous about that

Edited by Kyle Ren
for the record, I won't go back to X-Wing until this is over, which probably means I won't be playing X-Wing until some time in 2022

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, KCDodger said:

I feel like anybody who would go out in this environment would be lacking in good judgement.

My brother and I play at our mother's house (cuz it's central and we get in a visit).

We're not sacrificing grandma for X-Wing or the economy.

Edited by Darth Meanie

@KCDodger You can’t judge like that because you don’t know other people’s circumstances.

We are going to have to take risks during the next 18-24 months, sitting inside until it’s all safe won’t work.  So while right now we have oversteered to minimise risks and avoid a peak of cases that will have to change.  Everyone will need measure the risks they take as they pertain to their own circumstances, and if you’re unlucky enough to catch it you isolate and do what you’re told so you don’t spread it on.

48 minutes ago, Stay OT Leader said:

@KCDodger You can’t judge like that because you don’t know other people’s circumstances.

He will anyway, because the tv told him to. Just like it told it him it’s impossible to go outside and be responsible (unless it’s for x, y, or z reason, which it magically becomes ok then).

I have no contact with higher risk people. The death rate is a sham, and even the CDC is admitting excess death reporting (source: CDC.gov, multiple articles). Are there demographics that are royally screwed if they get it? Yes. Should we put in place some provisions to help keep them safe? Yes. Should we lockdown the world for years until it’s over (because let’s be honest, a vaccine is years away)? Absolutely not! It’s not tenable, and we’ll have more deaths because of that requirement (domestic violence, suicide, violent crime due to no money etc) than we will have had covid deaths.

I for one prefer to walk not in blind fear or panic, but in proper moderation. And to that end, the only thing holding me back from a semi-gathering is the inability of a location to do so. I played in a store championship a mere 48 hours before the businesses closed down game spaces. I used precautions of not touching my face without decontamination first, and I washed up before touching any food or drink.

Where I’m at is local game nights will soon be a reasonable risk.  I expect local tournaments to be possible too, but with new strict player caps and likely players are asked not to travel far to attend stores they’re not local to.

All this assumes tables are kept far enough apart from each other that a measure of social distancing is possible.  Small events also mean outbreaks from those events are relatively small and easier to contact trace.

Larger events like system opens... no chance they should be held any time soon.  I’m expecting no premier level OP until 2022.  No system opens, regionals, nationals, worlds.  Keep it local and small.  Big events exponentially increase both the risk and potential severity of any outbreaks.

2 hours ago, Stay OT Leader said:

We are going to have to take risks during the next 18-24 months, sitting inside until it’s all safe won’t work.  So while right now we have oversteered to minimise risks and avoid a peak of cases that will have to change.  Everyone will need measure the risks they take as they pertain to their own circumstances, and if you’re unlucky enough to catch it you isolate and do what you’re told so you don’t spread it on.

We haven't oversteered at all. This s**t kills people and we don't have a way to cure it yet. Let me exp,lain below, where a particular member of our forum has completely forgone the notion of human empathy.

2 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

He will anyway, because the tv told him to. Just like it told it him it’s impossible to go outside and be responsible (unless it’s for x, y, or z reason, which it magically becomes ok then).

I have no contact with higher risk people. The death rate is a sham, and even the CDC is admitting excess death reporting (source: CDC.gov, multiple articles). Are there demographics that are royally screwed if they get it? Yes. Should we put in place some provisions to help keep them safe? Yes. Should we lockdown the world for years until it’s over (because let’s be honest, a vaccine is years away)? Absolutely not! It’s not tenable, and we’ll have more deaths because of that requirement (domestic violence, suicide, violent crime due to no money etc) than we will have had covid deaths.

I for one prefer to walk not in blind fear or panic, but in proper moderation. And to that end, the only thing holding me back from a semi-gathering is the inability of a location to do so. I played in a store championship a mere 48 hours before the businesses closed down game spaces. I used precautions of not touching my face without decontamination first, and I washed up before touching any food or drink.

Thanks for the wilful misgendering. Really appreciate it.

I live with three others that have caught it, all with varying degrees of severity. My girlfriend caught it from her mother, who works at a hospital as a nurse. Literally the front lines of it. Her mother was actually hospitalized over it - and thankfully has recovered, but is still very much effected by it. We're concerned that it's had a permanent impact on her lung function. She suffered under it so bad that apparently there were times she'd rather have been dead. That's pretty horrible. Do you know, by the way, what it's like to have the one you love inform you that the fever has reached 104.1, sobbing in fear of how things could get even worse? What those tense moments before the ambulance came were like? What it was like to know that she may end up in the hospital and, if worst came to worst you may not see her again?

What it was like for the Ambulance to turn her away because she wasn't exhibiting all the worst symptoms? She was lucky that her breathing never got worse, but she got everything else. Yes, she, her mother and brother all tested positive. It is only by frequently washing my hands, wearing a mask in my own home, and not even being allowed to hold the love of my life for this month and her recovery, that I have completely avoided COVID-19. I am exceptionally lucky, because I am uninsured and unemployed, and finding work in this climate is both an incredibly risky and losing prospect. I am a janitor by trade, and I can tell you that the average person is still being as callous as they have always been. Gods, they cannot even trim their beards to wear their masks properly.

TV has told me nothing. I do my research myself and I literally live with a nurse in her 60s. I have listened to the professional medical worker, who has had friends who have died because of this virus. People she will never see again.

So while you sit there and tell me that I'm a victim of fear mongering, I will sit here knowing what the truth is because I have been living it.

Your callous disregard for the well being of your fellow man is not endearing and does not make you look brave. You need to reconsider your stance, because that attitude will get people killed.

Posted (edited)

I've had it, my wife has had it, my daughter has had it.  It was rubbish and it was scary.  I'm glad that I took precautions and cancelled dinner with my parents the day that my first symptoms started to show because we limited the outbreak just to our household.  You're not alone in having a close encounter.

But we can't stop the world just because it's got dangerous and scary things in it because if that was the case we'd never have left our houses long before Covid showed up.  Life is a series of measured risks and once the initial Covid outbreaks are passed it becomes another one of those to factor into your equations.  Not going back to work, not going back to a halfway point towards what was previously normal is far FAR more dangerous than taking reasonable precautions with Covid.

Edited by Stay OT Leader

58 minutes ago, Stay OT Leader said:

I've had it, my wife has had it, my daughter has had it.  It was rubbish and it was scary.  I'm glad that I took precautions and cancelled dinner with my parents the day that my first symptoms started to show because we limited the outbreak just to our household.  You're not alone in having a close encounter.

But we can't stop the world just because it's got dangerous and scary things in it because if that was the case we'd never have left our houses long before Covid showed up.  Life is a serious of measured risks and once the initial Covid outbreaks are passed it becomes another one of those to factor into your equations.  Not going back to work, not going back to a halfway point towards what was previously normal is far FAR more dangerous than taking reasonable precautions with Covid.

I'm glad you did the responsible thing. Believe me, I know I'm not alone. The global death toll has been quite the informant of that. Not a jab though I've never understood the need to tell others they they're not the only ones who've had to deal with it. Chances are they know.

I'd agree we don't have to shut down the world, but frankly the average person cannot be trusted to be responsible, as a particular poster has demonstrated loud and clear, thinking they can intimidate a virus. They cannot. A Virus doesn't respect bravery, it just infects you sooner.

The biggest danger are people who are asymptomatic and don't wear protection when going out. That in and of itself is a flagrant disregard for safety. If it weren't a real issue you wouldn't be seeing six foot distance markers in every store you walked in - and if it was some kind of scam to sell hand sanitizer and supplies for, whatever reason, stores wouldn't be literally rationing out how many one customer can buy at a time. Toiletries and other sanitation supplies are almost entirely out of stock everywhere I go.

The world is a dangerous, chaotic place right now. Scheduled payments need to be halted, UBI needs to be passed and major population centers such as New York City that are the front lines - and that I live adjacent to as a New Jersey resident, need federal support. Hel, in Maryland, the National Guard has had to halt the feds from taking supplies the Governor procured from South Korea. The government is literally turning on itself at this point and it's crazy. And hel, don't get me started on the medical cost of everything happening right now - this is the greatest example of why a national healthcare system is needed-proper, instead of this crazy premiums based privatized insurance system we have now. I was just in the hospital over a health scare, unemployed and uninsured (turns out it was muscular, not heart related and I'm okay - but very lucky, you can bet I'm counting my blessings), and just to see if I'm okay or not I'm definitely going to have to find a way to pay over 2K for the **** visit. How screwed up is that, that we so often eschew visits out of health concerns just because of how much it'll cost? Gods, I have teeth that are rotting away despite my best efforts because I don't have dental. I'm firmly at the poverty line.

It's one of the reasons I get so mad when people act callous about this. I'm one of the people most at risk if I get infected because treatment will bankrupt me for a decade. That's not okay in any reality and any answer that equates to, "Well you should have had money and planned better" is just a massive lack of human empathy and a callous disregard for the well being of others that I simply cannot abide, you know?

It is a dangerous, mad world right now.

We can halt things. We don't have to keep the cogs turning on a broken machine when we'd be **** well better serviced by getting or building a new machine. One that actually cares about those below the poverty line, which is only getting higher.

ok so I've been avoiding pitching in here because it's my poll and I don't want to influence the data by showing a bias or something but I'm actually getting mad so here I am.

listen, just because we are going to have to go back to work doesn't mean we have to go back to X-Wing. In fact it's all the more reason NOT to go back to the tabletop. whatever argument you want to make about flattening the curve or whatever, minimizing exposure of yourself to other people is always a good thing, and when it comes down to it, playing X-Wing isn't gonna save the economy or our jobs or whatever your reason for endangering everyone's life is.

Additionally, just because you think you caught this already isn't proof you can't carry it or catch it again, we actually don't know anything about that and most viruses can be caught more than once.

We'll survive without X-Wing for a while, and by a while, I probably mean a couple years. the more people act like idiots and spread the virus for no good reason, the longer this whole dumpster fire goes on. 

On 5/1/2020 at 3:40 PM, RebelProfundity said:

ANd who is that "Qualified" folk?  THe same who've been wrong time and time again, on their estimates? 

On 5/1/2020 at 4:13 PM, Kyle Ren said:

this was precisely the reason I worded it like that, because this is the scenario I think is most likely. I already see a lot of people champing at the bit to leave quarantine, and I think it's very likely that the quarantine ends very soon and people go back to the game stores, and I wanted to see what % of the community was still nervous about that

I am one of them.  Heck one of my regular players, for my adnd campaign, going on 15 months long so far, mentioned "IF this doesn't end soon, he may have to drop out of it for good.."

I can see other gaming groups totally ending if this lockdown lasts 2-3 more months...

4 hours ago, Stay OT Leader said:

Where I’m at is local game nights will soon be a reasonable risk.  I expect local tournaments to be possible too, but with new strict player caps and likely players are asked not to travel far to attend stores they’re not local to.

All this assumes tables are kept far enough apart from each other that a measure of social distancing is possible.  Small events also mean outbreaks from those events are relatively small and easier to contact trace.

Larger events like system opens... no chance they should be held any time soon.  I’m expecting no premier level OP until 2022.  No system opens, regionals, nationals, worlds.  Keep it local and small.  Big events exponentially increase both the risk and potential severity of any outbreaks.

Checking with two of my local game stores, even IF The statewide lockdown ends, THEY feel they still need to stay 'closed' to gaming in the store....

And just think, if that happens with game stores, HOW WILL that impact gaming CONVENTIONS!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LTuser said:

ANd who is that "Qualified" folk?  THe same who've been wrong time and time again, on their estimates? 

Well, it certainly is isn't the gun-toting, flag-waving half wits who think that public safety and tyranny are shades of the same gray. 

There are no experts.  There are a bunch of folks doing thier best to get us thru this.  Luckily, in Chicago, we have a city mayor and a state governor who are proactively working to do the right thing. 

It's time to pretend this is a school field trip.  America needs to sit down, shut up, and keep its hands and arms inside the bus.  We're there when the bus driver says we're there.

Edited by Darth Meanie

8 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Well, it certainly is isn't the gun-toting, flag-waving half wits who think that public safety and tyranny are shades of the same gray. 

There are no experts.  There are a bunch of folks doing thier best to get us thru this.  Luckily, in Chicago, we have a city mayor and a state governor who are proactively working to do the right thing. 

It's time to pretend this is a school field trip.  America needs to sit down, shut up, and keep its hands and arms inside the bus.  We're there when the bus driver says we're there.

Man, I always have liked you.

1 hour ago, LTuser said:

And just think, if that happens with game stores, HOW WILL that impact gaming CONVENTIONS!

Who frakkin' cares? I don't care about companies and conventions, I care about people and their **** health.

1 hour ago, JBFancourt said:

Ahhhh Covid-19. 

The sort of pandemic that really makes you wonder what the world would do with an actual deadly pandemic...

Like one so deadly there really aren't choices??

Intervention is why this isn't killing 2-3% of the world.  Ergo, 200 million people.

That not deadly enough for you??