Sign in to follow this  
Assussanni

Print and Play Coming to AH:TCG?

Posted (edited)

Announced on Twitter by the Mythos Busters podcast:

“We've been given a glimpse of the future - on May 5 FFG is planning to post something special that Matt Newman and Jeremy Zwirn have been cooking up for AH:LCG. Supposedly it’s playable, print-and-play (PnP), and free. This is not a drill – MARK YOUR CALENDARS!”

Link to the original (which includes a reply from Matt Newman): https://twitter.com/MythosBusters/status/1253741348487921665

A stand-alone scenario seems to me to be the most likely thing. Anyone have any other ideas for what it could be?

Edited by Assussanni

Posted (edited)

Tarot cards? I know people have wanted them and there’s a crystal ball? Not many people could have them printed though. 

Probably a scenario.

Edited by Soakman

Posted (edited)
On 4/25/2020 at 7:31 AM, Soakman said:

Tarot cards? I know people have wanted them and there’s a crystal ball? Not many people could have them printed though. 

Probably a scenario.

I figured the crystal ball was more of an invitation for us to try and “divine” what was coming. Maybe we can get some info out of them on the livestream Thursday. 

Edited by Mimi61

Posted (edited)

It’s here! And amazing!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/5/5/beyond-our-dimension/

I noticed more than one person asking for upgraded investigators, signature cards and/or investigator specific scenarios. Matt Newman and Jeremy Zwirn deliver... now to figure out how to best print the cards.

I really hope we see more of these. Maybe a better Lola Hayes? 😋

Edited by Assussanni

9 minutes ago, Assussanni said:

I really hope we see more of these. Maybe a better Lola Hayes? 😋

It says in both the article and the rules insert that there are more coming, so that's apparently the plan!

Posted (edited)

ahc_rod_diagram1-big.png

ahc_rod_daisy-walker_back.png

"And, perhaps best of all for aspiring deckbuilders, you’re free to mix and match between the original and the parallel investigator cards. In other words, you could use each individually, or use the original front and the parallel back, or the parallel front and the original back!"

ahc_rod_daisys-tote-bag.pngahc_rod_the-necronomicon.png

Scenario Setup

• Gather all cards from the following encounter sets: Read or Die, Extracurricular Activity, Sorcery, The Beyond, Bishop’s Thralls, Whippoorwills, Ancient Evils, Locked Doors, Agents of Yog-Sothoth, and Armitage’s Fate. Each of these sets except for Read or Die can be found in The Dunwich Legacy Deluxe Expansion.

Rules: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/28/54/28547425-6352-43db-a2e7-b2fb99ad37c1/read_or_die_rules_insert_good.pdf

Cards: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/b2/c1/b2c14590-b1c1-4ab5-8ff0-bbc668ea6293/read_or_die_cards.pdf

A total of 7 new cards: Daisy (double sided), Daisy's Tote Bag, The Necronomicon, Mythos Bag Card (I forget what it's called), Agenda 1a (double sided), Act 1a (double sided), Namer of the Dead (encounter card).

Way cool!  The new Necronomicon is terrifying.  So glad they started with my favorite investigator!!!

Edited by Duciris
Can't count

Does anyone have a online print shop that they've used to print cards?  For parallel Daisy and her new cards at the very least, I'd like to have 'nice' versions printed.

Posted (edited)

Interesting that all locations and encounters are pre-existing and there is just 1 act and agenda. Hopefully everyone has Dunwich by now lol.

Edited by Soakman

Regardless of which version of Daisy you use, you may also optionally upgrade Daisy’s signature cards to her new advanced signature cards (replacing the original versions). These versions are indicated by the Advanced keyword on Daisy’s Tote Bag and the “Advanced Weakness” subtitle bar on The Necronomicon. These are included only as a set—if you choose to upgrade Daisy’s Tote Bag, you must also upgrade The Necronomicon. Doing so costs no experience, and may be done at any point during a campaign. However, once this upgrade is made, it cannot be undone unless you are instructed otherwise.

• Daisy Walker must be chosen as one of the investigators when playing this scenario.
  • Daisy Walker’s deck must include at least 4 Tome assets. Tome weaknesses do not count toward this total.

Investigators can only play Read or Die as a side-story if Daisy Walker is in the campaign. Playing the Read or Die side-story costs Daisy Walker 3 experience, and each other investigator only 1 experience.

I like the requirements and the uneven experience costs.

I recommend not reading the Setup.  (It starts at the top of the second page (of 2).)

54 minutes ago, KBlumhardt said:

Does anyone have a online print shop that they've used to print cards?  For parallel Daisy and her new cards at the very least, I'd like to have 'nice' versions printed.

I'd be interested in this also. 

Posted (edited)

Just be sure you have the encounter sets to play (from Dunwich legacy deluxe box) before you go and get stuff printed unless you are just interested in the parallel investigator option. 

It looks impressive as a design that does so much with so few new cards, but since Daisy is a core NotZ investigator it’s important to note Read or Die requires Dunwich legacy cards.

Edited by Soakman

Perhaps if people react possitively they will do the same with a product version ?? I would just add more new encounter cards, but if this is free ....

I'll admit, though, it's kind of odd they went with Daisy as their first choice seeing as she's already quite strong. I'd love to have a Parallel Skids with O'Droole's ability.

So, any thoughts about Parallel Daisy builds? It seems to me that regular Daisy already has just about every Tome she wants. Perhaps some sort of combo involving Alice Luxley, Book of Shadows (3), and Archaic Glyphs?

So what is the appeal of this new version of Daisy?
Isn't it weaker in almost every way than the old version?
Is the intention to nerf her and play a more challenging game but with a similar theme?

I'll review each feature of her seperately since you can mix and match Frontside, Backside, Asset Upgrade

----- FRONTSIDE -----
STATS:
Lower will/sanity, not breaking even until you have 2 tomes out. You need your handbag + another tome to have better stats than base.  This also means you have no hand slots available for other valuable items like a magnifying glass. Also getting high will is mostly irrelvant as she lacks the mystic cards to take advantage of them. 

ABILITIES:
Once per game use all your equiped tomes for no actions is almost always much much worse than a free activation of your best tome every turn. In addition it requires a lot of setup and resource commitment. Having 4 tomes out isn't much different than having 1 tome out if you only have the actions to activate 1 per turn and most tomes don't break even until you've been able to activate them at least twice.

Her Elder Sign ability is actually interesting though. Commit your tomes to skill tests with the thought you might get them back later. Her original Elder Sign ability was functional, drawing you 1 or 2 cards on average though not exciting. Either way though you don't get Mystic cards anymore so you can't do any token manipulation to increase the odds of triggering it and your weakness negates the Elder sign so you won't see this happen often...

----- BACKSIDE -----
CARD POOL:
Loses access to Seeker 4-5; Loses access to mystic lvl 1-2. Limited access to mystic lvl 0
Gains limited access to guardian lvl 0. (not much upside; especially when you probably are taking the mystic cards instead)
Gains full access to all tomes. This is exciting until you realize that the only cards that old Daisy didn't already get are Grimm's Fairy Tales (not great), Books of shadows 3 (inefficient to begin with and no more mystic cards), and Mystic's verstion of  Scroll of Secrets 3 (which is almost always worse than the Seeker's version).
Losing Access to Seeker 4 means you can't even use the new Abigail Foreman: Library Intern who was practically tailor made for Daisy. 

----- ASSET UPGRADE -----
The upgraded unique asset and weakness are very interesting though and I appreciate the design and see pros and cons for using either version depending on how many tomes you need to get out and how risky you like to play. This feels like the best new feature.

--------------------

Is there something that I've overlooked that would make her parallel version interesting to play as? It seems the only good thing she gets are the Guardian splash cards, which cut off the powerful lvl 0 mystic cards.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, rsdockery said:

I'll admit, though, it's kind of odd they went with Daisy as their first choice seeing as she's already quite strong. 

Isn't this version harder, though?  Her deckbuilding is much more limited.

She can take Bandolier just because five hand slots is hilarious.

Something Worth Fighting For can help soak the Necronomicon.  Tetsuo can too, then let her dig for another Tome to fill the newly opened slot. 

Edited by CSerpent

8 minutes ago, Eldan985 said:

Of course, original Daisy can take Seal of the Elder Sign to negate the Necronomicon.

It's level 5 Mystic.  Even if she could take it, wouldn't it count as a revealed Elder Sign which the Necronomicon turns into a Tentacle?

20 minutes ago, Eldan985 said:

Of course, original Daisy can take Seal of the Elder Sign to negate the Necronomicon.

No, she can't...? She can take Mystic cards up to Level 2, and Seal is a Level 5 card. Maybe you're confusing her with Norman . Also Cserpent is correct

Shame they didn’t add the official player and encounter backing graphics to the tote bag, Necronomicon and Namer. I also would like to have the set printed on good quality player cards.

11 hours ago, guy_redman said:

Shame they didn’t add the official player and encounter backing graphics to the tote bag, Necronomicon and Namer. I also would like to have the set printed on good quality player cards.

This might not be an ideal idea for everyone, but me and my partner have used printable sticker paper for custom cards and stick them on FFG's cards. 

We bought a second core set a while back, so we have extra investigators/personal cards. We're also big fans of creating our own investigators. So we just use printable sticker paper and stick 'em to the extras. 

This does add a tiiiiiiiny bit of thickness to the cards, but not enough to be disruptive. And if they're sleeved, you'd never know the difference.

I think it's fantastic.  I was asking for something similar to this at launch.  I love the idea of scenarios specifically targeting particular investigators.  Considering they won't get to every investigator with a novellas then this is a nice way to give some of the other investigators more love.

As to why Daisy was picked first, I can't exactly explain why she would be a good first pick compared to Lola or Skids who are less popular designs.  That said it was always disappointing that her sig tote bag was kinda underwhelming and her deck building rules excluded some tomes in the card pool.  This fixes both of those issues potentially.  I like the flexibility of mixing and matching the design elements as well.  I think it's smart to tackle an investigator that mostly works first and then tackle the trickier one later.  If this was a complete flop of a design then at least Daisy was already a pretty good investigator in the pool.  If they flop Lola again then you pretty much banish that investigator to the binder for alot of players. 

On 5/5/2020 at 11:37 AM, CSerpent said:

Something Worth Fighting For can help soak the Necronomicon.  Tetsuo can too, then let her dig for another Tome to fill the newly opened slot. 

The Necronomicon moves horror directly to Daisy, you can't put it on other assets.  Unless you just mean you can use the other assets while the book loads her up?

On 5/6/2020 at 7:27 PM, Joshuarleonard said:

This might not be an ideal idea for everyone, but me and my partner have used printable sticker paper for custom cards and stick them on FFG's cards. 

We bought a second core set a while back, so we have extra investigators/personal cards. We're also big fans of creating our own investigators. So we just use printable sticker paper and stick 'em to the extras. 

This does add a tiiiiiiiny bit of thickness to the cards, but not enough to be disruptive. And if they're sleeved, you'd never know the difference.

That is a great idea. I didn’t consider that option. Which printable sticker pack have you gone for? I too have a second copy of the core so yes, I have a few spares. Thanks!