Sign in to follow this  
Morangias

What's the biggest thing your team ever did?

I'm trying to better grasp the scale of endeavours, both small and capital "e", that are appropriate to Rogue Traders. In this vein, I humbly ask you to describe the greatest, most awesome things your Rogue Traders managed to do. Building empires, waging war on systems and sectors, that kind of stuff. Thanks in advance.

The biggest realised profit from one endeavour? Finding the lost world of Krystallian, looting the last temple of the original population for the last of the original population and STC fragments and establishing the world as an Imperial colony. After selling off the Righteous Path components that were stripped out and left behind. Best quality ship components, a colony with their man as governor and a bunch of Profit Factor.

The biggest potential profit? They found a lost human colony that has been reconstructed as a massive grid of active plasma reactors with cooling and repair systems. Abandoned and transmitting all that power output into the core to "somewhere else". They convinced the not-quite-sentient caretaker system to build them data storage loaded with the entire planet's records and schematics for everything there. This included archaotech plasma reactors, fully automated drones of various lethality and cooling systems actually capable of bleeding off the insane heat output of the world. They were driven away from the planet with massive loss of crew by chaos renegades before they could acquire the last shipment of data modules and haven't finished indexing what they have yet. Oh, and a few new endeavours, mostly centred around building up to get revenge on said renegades. Say, by acquiring a lost cruiser. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Well, several people in my group are fans of Freefall. I know this because they have used the ship's macrocannons (and shells of varying mass) to play Orbital Bombardment in D Minor; essentially treating the target planet as one large (tuned) percussion instrument.

My players captured a pirate raider by boarding it with the teleporter, the astropath terribly botched a psychic power and accidentally summoned a very angry and very powerful warp entity on the command bridge. As they knew they couldn't fight, it they immediately retreated to their ship (the explorator controlling the teleporter being extremely lucky, compared to the astropath) and waited for the demon to kill, devour, murder, etc. everyone on the bridge. When they supposed the demon returned to the warp due to instability, they boarded again and captured the ship...

Now they are complaining because I stated that recruiting a crew for their "new ship" will be... difficult (the ship has now the past history "Haunted").

My players cpatured their main vessel with the help of their old boss (an inquisitor, they were originally DH characters). The ship contains a librarium vault that is utterly unorganised, huge and ancient. I see this (in my capacity as GM) as a huge plot generating machine.

While cataloguing the library (a task that will take years, possibly decades) the groups seneschal discovered an old log book from when the vessel was under pirate control. It describes the captains failure to acquire a ruined archeotech ship after he left the necessary charts to its location (not at the time knowing what they were) in his clan lords vault on a hidden space station. Warp storms cut the station off for around a century and the captain never got to return. My PCs figured that the station might now be out of the warp storm and made a thorough investigation of the ships augur logs, star charts, log books, etc until they narrowed down where this base might be. After a few false starts they found the space station, however, it was already been boarded by a fellow rogue trader. They decided to engage and destroyed the enemy ship. Once they had taken the station and secured the star chart for the archeotech ship, they decided they could use the station to act as their home base to run the dynasty from. They had recently discovered a stable warp portal to the calixis sector (that would spare them the journey through the maw) and intended to exploit it. They contacted their inquisitor boss who agreed to help. With the inquisitors cruiser and their own, plus a raider they had captured, they managed to tow the station through the warp (getting the huge gellar field for it was rather an epic journey in itself) to the location of the warp portal.

Now they intend to refit the station with solid armaments, maybe a few ancillary defense platforms and use it to enforce their ownership of the portal.

Such a portal would obviously be hugely profitable. If they can hang onto it, because every rogue trader out there will want to take it off them.

Helped kill every living thing on a high tech human colony run by an AI, so the Adeptus Mechanicus Reclamation Fleet could claim their anti-grav factories for the greater glory of the Omnimessiah.

May also have accidentally uplifted the Tau.

SJE

Biggest thing my group has so far done is screw over an imperial governor, and get away with it.

Bear in mind this is over many months of once-a-week game sessions, and we've been playing since the game came out. I've been running things with the idea that some areas of the Expanse still function as though they're under Imperial control, even though they're hard to reach and generally seperate from the Imperium thanks to the maelstrom.

After a string of endeavours, the PCs were looking for colonists for a habitable world that they'd just discovered. Trudging through some mess with the Administratum to get required permits (itself a **** adventure - my group's Rogue Trader is practically religious about avoiding "imperial entanglements" that would come back and bite him), they went around looking for goods and equipment and colonists. Then they realized Lucin's Breath wasn't particularly far away. They touched down and made some deals, but their arrival piqued the attention of the local imperial governor, who invited them to dinner as honored guests (mostly due to the RT's familial background). Over dinner, there was some discussion, and one tidbit I brought up was rebellion of miners he was having difficulty quashing. Entrepreneurs that they are (and being players that chew on "scenery conversation" like the best of 'em), they offered to try and negotiate a settlement so that mining can continue... and in exchange they wanted some resources to go towards their colony. The governor was blaise about the whole thing (he intended to just off the rebels anyway), but offered them a chance.

With the governor's blessing they descended into the mines, and after a few run-ins with mining servitors that were given murderous instructions, fighting off a drilling machine, and being trapped in a cave-in during a fire-fight, they found the rebel miners and were able to calm things down enough to talk. Over the course of the discussions, it was explained that the governor was working them to the bone and neither paying them nor feeding them, and they were basically just trying to get supplies so they could survive (they were basically spending their whole lives underground toiling in the mines, as I was running things). The RT & crew leaves some of their own goods as a gesture of goodwill, in the hopes it will hold the rebels out.

A few things were discussed around the gaming table at this point, and as a group we decided that there was probably some obscure law that allowed grievances to be filed with the Administratum against governors who were simply not taking care of their citizens. I reminded them that this would probably take forever to push through, but the RT -did- have contacts in the Administratum and a few other bonuses with imperials, so he was pretty confident. He suggested the miners go and gather their supporters and prepare for his return.

Thus, they take the miner's side in secret, and narrowly avoid drawing some unwanted attention from the governor's forces (the local PDF, arrayed around the entrance to the mine and ready to pounce if given the order). Some good rolls by their navigator, some fun warp run-ins, and they're back to Port Wander. Some good roleplaying combined with a ridiculous roll on the RT's part (it was like an 04) got the Administratum moving faster than it has since the Emperor was around. They were given permission to remove the governor from power in any way they saw fit, with the Imperium's blessing... on the sole condition that they will be sending their own man as a replacement.

They return to Lucin's Breath to find things strained but stable. The rebels have mustered what they could in support, but the governor has still been wringing them dry. The players shmooze their way into the governor's palace, and in a very brief gun battle over dinner with his honor guard, set him ablaze with hellgun fire. Crispy-fried governator. A brief little civil war occurs until the new governor shows up a few weeks later, and everybody's happy.

The end result of all this is that they're in good with Lucin's Breath for raw materials and they have a bunch of miners who went with them to this new world as colonists who are already pretty well trained for combat.

reclaimed a battle cruiser lost in the warp for 10 years... and cleansing the warp entintity that devolved itself into a giant husk around the geller field so it could pour out it's minions from the warp.

Unfortunately for the warp entity it summoned ANOTHER warp entity from the perils of the warp chart and they battle eachother like godzilla and kingkong while the crew cleaned house. Then returned the cruiser to Footfall for profit.

They keep talking about using the lance to write the name of the RT on a moon. The only thing stopping them is to find a nice planet to call theirs with a name orbiting it. I expect that soon they will succeed and claim.

"It is our name on that moon, so that means that this planet is mine mine mine!"

My PC:s haven't managed to do really big stuff yet, but at least making our sector's Lord Inquisitor mad at them and the group's Seneschal taking control of his bosses whole Rogue Trader Dynasty (he practically slaved the RT by forcing him to write a really nasty contract, in such a way that there wasn't any point playing the RT anymore) do count for something.

My player was sent to investigate an Imperial planet that  had been shrouded by warp storms for centuries until recently. Upon setting down on the surface with a contingent of troops, they were promptly assaulted by chaos cultists. The player then proceeded to ditch his soldiers on the surface as he ran back to the shuttle to get the heck out of there. From orbit, he glassed every habitable area of the planet.

Largest thing? Defeating an Alpha class, largely immortal Psyker, who had used his long life to build up a vast collection of precious antiques, hidden bank accounts and liquid resources. They now keep him in a vat next to the screaming face. That allowed them to buy a billion plus serfs and manufactorum to boot. These have been put to use churning out weapons to equip a huge army which they intend to use to make Ixanvid's sector governor dependent on them (protection from orks).

other then that..... seducing and convincing the Heir apparent to Marius Hax to take one of the pc's as his mistress. It's amazing how much more respectful all the other nobles are when they know about the explorators sleeping arrangements.

my group has just recently destroyed three hazeroth class raiders that had attacked a mechanicus transport ship in orbit above settlement 228. they had spoken to Magus Luol Rho (info from dark heresy core rule book.) in hive sibellus on scintilla in the callixus sector to see about getting an introduction to the foundries on hadd in the lathe systems. they are preparing for an extended trip to uncharted areas of the koronus expanse and are taking time for prep work. he said in exchange for introductions would the rogue trader and his entourage investigate a mechanicus ship that had been missing for some time near 228. in the fight with the three ships one was destroyed by some awesome rolls from the players and some naff bad luck on my part! shortly after this, some masterful maneuvering on the rogue traders part a second raider's ship was hulked with a blinding shot from their vessels macrobatteries and a blinding shot from their lance. the final one was utterly crippled when a critical shot severed the bridge of the vessel. after a boarding action or two later, the rogue trader had a new ship in his possesion, and parts that were salvaged from the hulked vessel to sell or use. all this from asking for an introduction from the ambassador to the lathes on scintilla!