I play almost exclusively solo. When I first started playing this game, I generally included two or three Avenger mansons and helicarriers in my decks. Lately, I have not been including many if any of those two cards in my general 40 card decks. How about you?

Thank you.

I stopped throwing them in at all. I play true solo most of the time and I've found they slow things down way too much. Generally my goal with a deck is to burn through it the first time as fast as I can to get my hero set up so that on subsequent draws I can start doing the fancy combos. Even with the extra encounter card I have to draw, unless it's an unlucky game, it tends to work out really well.

I stopped throwing them in at all. I play true solo most of the time and I've found they slow things down way too much. Generally my goal with a deck is to burn through it the first time as fast as I can to get my hero set up so that on subsequent draws I can start doing the fancy combos. Even with the extra encounter card I have to draw, unless it's an unlucky game, it tends to work out really well.

+1

1 hour ago, vmoss said:

I play almost exclusively solo. When I first started playing this game, I generally included two or three Avenger mansons and helicarriers in my decks. Lately, I have not been including many if any of those two cards in my general 40 card decks. How about you?

Thank you.

I never play more or less than one of each non unique permanent. 

Avengers Mansion has to be on the table for five turn just to pay for itself, I like it less and less with each play.  Although some of that can be mitigated by hands with excess cards and sending the draw to another player.

It depends a lot on the build, definitely not good for Thor, but has more of a place with Black Panther and Capt Marvel with their excess multi-resource cards.

6 hours ago, IceHot42 said:

Avengers Mansion has to be on the table for five turn just to pay for itself, I like it less and less with each play.  Although some of that can be mitigated by hands with excess cards and sending the draw to another player.

It depends a lot on the build, definitely not good for Thor, but has more of a place with Black Panther and Capt Marvel with their excess multi-resource cards.

That’s not strictly true. Yes, you have to have it out for 5 turns before you’ve drawn as many additional cards as you spent using on it, but the true strength of Avengers Mansion is in having an extra card in addition to your normal hand size. It’s about having a single sub optimal turn to make all of your future turns better. An extra card is especially valuable in this game as it’s essentially giving you an extra option or an extra resource.

In this sense, an Avengers Mansion can add value way before its generated more cards than you spent on it as it lets you achieve more in all futures turns. What you really have to weigh it against us the tempo hit it gives you on the turn you play it, as it effectively means dedicating most of a turn to just playing it, and that isn’t always going to be the right move.

I still tend to play 1 of each at present, but I think it’s definitely true that not every hero really needs it. 

I agree w/Fear Lord’s comments above.

Additionally, both Avenger’s Mansion and Helicarrier have an extra benefit in multiplayer - being able to give that bonus to one of tour teammates can offer a BIG advantage in flexibility IMO.

I used to add more than one Helicarrier in decks I need physical resources.

I tend to remove the Mansion from decks where card draw is more accessible, e.g. Spidey or Captain Marvel.

Otherwise I still consider 1 of each by default, other exceptional factors notwithstanding (such as Thor).

In my experience, in all the games I got trounced, it happened that I could never draw/play them in time. In all the games I've won handily, I always had a Mansion and a Carrier on the table.

Correlation is not causation, but still...

Its 5 cards right now vs 5 cards spread over the next 5+ turns more or less.  There is a lot to weigh in there.  How much longer is the game going to last which may be scenario dependent?  Avengers Mansion is much better at the start of the game but horrible at the end of the game.  Although its always a resource at a minimum.  But then there is the other issue: does a card draw always help?  A significant number of  times it really doesnt help that much.  But there is the corollary did missing a turn hurt that much?  Which is another reason I find the card to be better in multi-player: If I dump my turn to play it and you get the first draw - that is much better than a dead draw on the first played turn.

The reasons they stay in most of my decks so far is because A) we primarily play multiplayer and B) there really isnt an obviously better option that isnt already in the deck.  That could change once card quality gets better.

16 hours ago, IceHot42 said:

Avengers Mansion has to be on the table for five turn just to pay for itself

I somewhat disagree.  The flexibility of an extra card per round is more valuable then just the one resource.  I find it gives me more flexible options during each play.  That extra card is HUGE, way more valuable then 1 resource.

I wouldn’t even say it’s horrible to play a Mansion late game though, although it’s obviously less valuable and you need to consider it against what else you could play at that point. If you’re holding a hand that isn’t going to get much else done this turn though, that extra card next round could be the difference between playing 1 swinging web kick and 2 of them.

You always need to weigh up what else you could do this turn though and it’s much easier to justify the expense in the early game. The way resources are designed in this game though means that cards you don’t always want to play are still fine to include - at worst every card is worth the same as every other card (barring a few pure resources) so I rarely look at Mansion and think “this is a bad card” whenever it’s in my hand...

Another factor to consider is when you play Avengers Mansion at the start of the game, when the villain is at the first stage and there are no minions or side schemes out, it is easy to afford. 

In a way you are paying cards now to be able to draw more cards when things get tougher.

It also means you cycle through your deck quicker, and so get to the needed cards faster.

I would typically run 2 of each in most decks for consistency. Tho Leadership is always too tight so it is usually one of each and once BW is released, I would run 1/1/1 (at one hero on table would anyway)

But as I've been playing Heroic, I've noticed that it is rare for me to play them at all, due to the tempo loss, so I have considered cutting all together.

On 4/20/2020 at 1:31 PM, IceHot42 said:

Its 5 cards right now vs 5 cards spread over the next 5+ turns more or less.  There is a lot to weigh in there.  How much longer is the game going to last which may be scenario dependent?  Avengers Mansion is much better at the start of the game but horrible at the end of the game.  Although its always a resource at a minimum.  But then there is the other issue: does a card draw always help?  A significant number of  times it really doesnt help that much.  But there is the corollary did missing a turn hurt that much?  Which is another reason I find the card to be better in multi-player: If I dump my turn to play it and you get the first draw - that is much better than a dead draw on the first played turn.

The reasons they stay in most of my decks so far is because A) we primarily play multiplayer and B) there really isnt an obviously better option that isnt already in the deck.  That could change once card quality gets better.

Rarely will you have anything in hand that accelerates your deck in a demonstrably superior way to Avengers Mansion.

Card draw is not just about resources, it’s also about increased options that turn AND cycling your deck faster to reach the power cards.

Avengers Mansion may be a single turn cost to play, but it’s easily the single best permanent across the board.

1 hour ago, Derrault said:

Avengers Mansion may be a single turn cost to play, but it’s easily the single best permanent across the board.

I want to agree with you, but you do have to consider cost as well. Its function might be the most powerful, but if you consider its cost to be appropriate, then it's no "better" than any other card that is cost appropriately.

5 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

I want to agree with you, but you do have to consider cost as well. Its function might be the most powerful, but if you consider its cost to be appropriate, then it's no "better" than any other card that is cost appropriately.

Let me rephrase that a bit: All things being equal, I can’t think of a card I’d rather play, if that makes sense.

Most of the other draw options are limited to a specific half of the identity (Focused Rage, Golden City, Steve Rogers Apartment, Aamir Khan).
I’d want them, but because AM can be used regardless of which side you’re on, I’d consider it more versatile. 

I agree with many that Avengers Mansion doesn't have a place in most of my decks anymore. I prefer the Enhanced Reflex/Awareness/Physique cards for the 3 resources each.  Thor and Captain Marvel benefit from ER while I have 3 EA for Iron Man as fuel for his jet boots. EP is also nice for Thor to activate Jarnbjorn rather than wasting a valuable card.  In fact usually the only 4 cost card I have in most of my decks is Nick Fury (Black Widow's Winter Soldier is usually 4 cost sue to all the prep cards she usually has in play.)

Posted (edited)

Regarding Nick Fury, I use him in every deck. I pay the 4+1 cost most games, as I find the three card draw and potential block very tempting. How about everyone else?

Thank you.

Edited by vmoss

13 hours ago, vmoss said:

Regarding Nick Fury, I use him in every deck. I pay the 4+1 cost most games, as I find the three card draw and potential block very tempting. How about everyone else?

Thank you.

Yeah, he’s a great accelerant for cycling the deck. Only very rarely do I use the damage/thwart options. 

New players tend to sleep on Nick Fury because he costs 4. But really, because you draw 3, he costs 1. A really good deal for 2 thw/atk and a block. Using the attack and thwart options are rare. But yeah, it is in almost all of my decks.