Tyberius_Deangelo

Investigators with low willpower and low evasion

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone, 

I am tinkering around with a Joe Diamond build and I am starting to come to the conclusion that investigators with low willpower and low evasion stats are at a severe disadvantage compared to those with higher stats mainly because the treachery cards have so many WP and evasion tests with nasty consequences if you fail.  But, I have also only played so far the Night of the Zealot and Dunwich campaigns.  I am not sure about Forgotten Age or Dream Eaters since I have not bought into those packs yet.  I'll be starting Path to Carcosa later this summer.  Am I wrong with my current line of thought?  Thanks for your input!

Edited by Tyberius_Deangelo

Posted (edited)
On 4/18/2020 at 8:15 PM, Tyberius_Deangelo said:

Hi everyone, 

I am tinkering around with a Joe Diamond build and I am starting to come to the conclusion that investigators with low willpower and low evasion stats are at a severe disadvantage compared to those with higher stats mainly because the treachery cards have so many WP and evasion tests with nasty consequences if you fail.  But, I have also only played so far the Night of the Zealot and Dunwich campaigns.  I am not sure about Forgotten Age or Dream Eaters since I have not bought into those packs yet.  I'll be starting Path to Carcosa later this summer.  Am I wrong with my current line of thought?  Thanks for your input!

In general I agree. But almost every faction has some tools that you can use to either help yourself take it on the chin or get around your stats. Agility and Will are generally defensive stats (unless you are a mystic or a rogue). And combat and int tend to help you combat tempo issues. So if you can push through FAST enough, you may outlive your weak defenses.

I don't know if I'd say you are at a HUGE disadvantage, it really depends on the deck and what cycle you are playing. 

I will say that in TCU low will can be a problem. And in TFA, agility is more valuable than usual.  Just a heads up if you are planning in jumping into either of those next.

I have a hard time playing Joe to be honest, likely because of the same reasons. But you can deck build around some issues.

Edited by Soakman

Posted (edited)

Playing Tony now as a Survivor (have done once before as a Guardian) and I like the "edge of your seat" feel that it gives you. With 2 Will and 2 Agility, he fits in the category you're describing nicely. A Rotting Remains is just bad news for dear Tony, so I favour the Survivor subclass for him more than ever.

Like @Soakman says, there's tricks for every low will/agility character, it just depends how on edge you want to play. For Survivor Tony, I rolled with two copies of Lucky, Resourceful, Perseverance, Stunning Blow and Scrounge for Supplies in there to use on the Tennessee Sour Mash (also Resourceful-ed, but more to do with that card)  and Liquid Courage. Add a soak Ally or two and you had a reasonable chance of passing or surviving badly-timed encounter cards, until you can upgrade to 2x Test of Will and the upgraded Sour Mash (aside, love Brute Force on T-man).

Silas is simliar in the Will department - depends on how on edge you want to go!

Edited by Krysmopompas