Sign in to follow this  
Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

Star Wars: Complete Vehicles - Incredible Cross-Sections Canon Reference Book

33 minutes ago, Synel said:

Has anyone mentioned yet that the Y-Wing on the cover of that book is a Resistance Y-Wing? The fronts of the engine housings have those black lines/gaps (not characteristic of Rebel ones) and the angle of the edge of the cockpit slopes down (rather than horizontal part into a vertical wall).

The turret looks wrong to me but might be because of the bits that are cross-sectioned, there isn't that slope in the turret housing. The other details seem to be closer to the Resistance BTA-NR2 than to other models. It was mentioned earlier in the thread as well.

9 hours ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about this book. I wonder if it will have the Razor Crest. Might also have some stuff from TCW season 7 (only things I can really think of that haven't been explored are the Silver Angel and the Pyke fighters).

EDIT: Actually, have we ever had a cross-section of a gauntlet?

We have not!

5 hours ago, Synel said:

Has anyone mentioned yet that the Y-Wing on the cover of that book is a Resistance Y-Wing? The fronts of the engine housings have those black lines/gaps (not characteristic of Rebel ones) and the angle of the edge of the cockpit slopes down (rather than horizontal part into a vertical wall).

Wait, hold on.
@Odanan @GuacCousteau @CaptainJaguarShark @Mep @jhh3 @AceDogbert Hold on hold on hooooooold on...

Which ones of you didn't know this because I already knew. The slopes, patterns of paint, and most importantly the engines - plus the grille-like fore to the struts, gave it away. Also the turret is right.
latest?cb=20191105202637

PLEASE tell me you guys were arguing knowing this was a BTA-NR2 and not a BTL-A4? That's what was confusing me so much about the retcon complaint. We've never heard of a two seater BTA-NR2 variant, so I was really wondering about that.

Suddenly the confusion makes sense but I'd have thought folks on this forum would be just familiar enough with their ships to note the difference? Sound off guys, who did and didn't know?

31 minutes ago, KCDodger said:

We have not!

Wait, hold on.
@Odanan @GuacCousteau @CaptainJaguarShark @Mep @jhh3 @AceDogbert Hold on hold on hooooooold on...

Which ones of you didn't know this because I already knew. The slopes, patterns of paint, and most importantly the engines - plus the grille-like fore to the struts, gave it away. Also the turret is right.
latest?cb=20191105202637

PLEASE tell me you guys were arguing knowing this was a BTA-NR2 and not a BTL-A4? That's what was confusing me so much about the retcon complaint. We've never heard of a two seater BTA-NR2 variant, so I was really wondering about that.

Suddenly the confusion makes sense but I'd have thought folks on this forum would be just familiar enough with their ships to note the difference? Sound off guys, who did and didn't know?

I knew it. There are to my knowledge, 4 models.

BTL-B, BTL-A4, BTA-NR2, and the BTL-S something.

54 minutes ago, KCDodger said:

We have not!

Wait, hold on.

latest?cb=20191105202637

I didn't at first, but I also wasn't getting into the discussion over gunner seat an all that. I want to know more about what else is in the book.

1 hour ago, KCDodger said:

If making up yet another fiction space ship will sell books, games and/or toys, then they will be happy to do so. Seriously, how many variants do we already have on the "not nearly as cool ship because it wasn't flown by Luke" do we already have? Are people seriously getting hung up on this?

16 hours ago, Synel said:

You are right! The pilot's vest is also clearly "modernized", like the Resistance ones.

18 hours ago, Mep said:

If you were a kid back in the 70s, you would understand.

I was a kid before the prequels were a thought, and The Original Trilogy was all we had. I'm 27, you know.

Luke was still never cool to me. Neither was Anakin. Out of the three protagonists I really only liked Rey at all and that's out the window with TRoS.

But you know who I did think was cool? Han Solo. Now there was the coolest motherf***er this side of The Galaxy. Didn't belong to any cause but his own, had his own ship, called his own shots, lived with his best friend and got the girl, all while having a quick draw, dry wit and incredible, charismatic charm.

Han Solo was my definition of cool. He is still the coolest, slickest Motherf***er in The Galaxy. Though I tell ya', Lando sure comes close. But you wanna' know the wildest part?

I could care so much less about The Millennium Falcon overall. I do love it, but it's never been my baby.

Posted (edited)
On 4/17/2020 at 3:29 PM, KCDodger said:

Y-Wing guns have essentially always been automated or controlled by the pilot. It is  an invention of the Expanded Universe and nothing else that Y-Wings have ever had gunners outside of The Clone Wars.

I mean the original Y-Wing had a gunner. The BTL-A4 and BTL-S3 were just refits of existing Y-Wings. Most of them were BTL-A4s and didn't have gunners, but why is it such a stretch to think that the S3s might ever have existed or even been common?

Sure maybe Rebels didn't do that but they made up the "Trainer" A-Wing with 2 seats, and Resistance made a "Trainer" T-70 with 2 seats. It seems like most Letter-Wings had one- and 2-seat variants, with the 1-seat variants being vastly more common. Honestly the 2-seat Y-Wing has the greatest practicality argument since it has the longest cockpit in the first place (and note the aft windows too, even on the BTL-A4 where they're likely non-functional), since it actually adds considerable utility to a turret/bomber ship. If the Striker and TIE/sf can do better with 2 people, shouldn't the Y-Wing as well, generally?

Not trying to bait a fight (and yes, the "classic" BTL-A4 is clearly a 1-seater) but I feel like the BTL-S3 is a sensible design and wouldn't mind seeing it get more screen time.

But rather than arguing about Y-Wings, can we talk about how exciting it will finally be to have official, Canon cross-sections for a lot of these ships? Especially to get some more insight into the Protorps on the B-Wing and some better details on the A-Wing variants (as developed from the R-22 spearhead).

Honestly, I'd love to see a full Star Wars show on the underground engineers and possibly the deals the alliance made with Incom and Kuat to get the ships that made the Rebellion.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

On 4/21/2020 at 2:58 PM, KCDodger said:

I was a kid before the prequels were a thought, and The Original Trilogy was all we had. I'm 27, you know.

That would make you 6 when Episode 1 came out. You "had" the prequel trilogy for all intents and purposes.

On 4/21/2020 at 2:58 PM, KCDodger said:

But you know who I did think was cool? Han Solo. Now there was the coolest motherf***er this side of The Galaxy.

But you're not wrong. Han was at least 30 times cooler than Luke. Luke from New Hope was whiney, but got mostly better by the next film.

12 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

I mean the original Y-Wing had a gunner. The BTL-A4 and BTL-S3 were just refits of existing Y-Wings. Most of them were BTL-A4s and didn't have gunners, but why is it such a stretch to think that the S3s might ever have existed or even been common?

Sure maybe Rebels didn't do that but they made up the "Trainer" A-Wing with 2 seats, and Resistance made a "Trainer" T-70 with 2 seats. It seems like most Letter-Wings had one- and 2-seat variants, with the 1-seat variants being vastly more common. Honestly the 2-seat Y-Wing has the greatest practicality argument since it has the longest cockpit in the first place (and note the aft windows too, even on the BTL-A4 where they're likely non-functional), since it actually adds considerable utility to a turret/bomber ship. If the Striker and TIE/sf can do better with 2 people, shouldn't the Y-Wing as well, generally?

Not trying to bait a fight (and yes, the "classic" BTL-A4 is clearly a 1-seater) but I feel like the BTL-S3 is a sensible design and wouldn't mind seeing it get more screen time.

But rather than arguing about Y-Wings, can we talk about how exciting it will finally be to have official, Canon cross-sections for a lot of these ships? Especially to get some more insight into the Protorps on the B-Wing and some better details on the A-Wing variants (as developed from the R-22 spearhead).

Honestly, I'd love to see a full Star Wars show on the underground engineers and possibly the deals the alliance made with Incom and Kuat to get the ships that made the Rebellion.

I would like to add, where the one you are quoting is correct, the expanded universe gave us the two seater Y-wing, it gave it to us in 1978 in Alan Dean Fosters Splinter of the Minds Eye when all we had was Star Wars....

Thats it, no Episodes, just Star Wars. For those of us old enough to remember, before the Dark Times. It was a long drought between Return of the Jedi and the spark being reignited by Dark Horse and the Illustrious Mr. Zahn. I believe this is one of the reasons most old school fans consider the Y to have a gunner seat, the idea has been around a long, long time....

In a galaxy far, far away.

Sorry, couldn't pass that last line up. I’ll see myself out. 🤣😂🤣

I loved the old versions of these books (Complete Vehicles and Complete Locations). I might have to pick this one up. I've always been a sucker for maps and cut-aways; I just get lost in the little tiny details.

What could have been a decent thread has descended into another reason I mostly lurk here these days.
Grown *** men arguing over make believe spaceships from a make believe universe and then having a see who can pee the highest competition about how much they've Comic Book Guyed themselves over children's movies.

If you know that the gasket for the thingamajig on the (insert ship here) is 3mm bigger than the gasket for the thingamajig on the (insert same ship slightly different variant here)  then you seriously need to get out a bit more. If, of course you're not under lockdown, in which case fill your boots.

Cheers
Baaa

Oh, and before anyone gets their fanboy knickers in a twist about me calling the movies "children's movies", here in the UK the original trilogy has the same rating as Bambi and The Wizard of Oz. Both of which are way scarier. 

42 minutes ago, Baaa said:

What could have been a decent thread has descended into another reason I mostly lurk here these days.
Grown *** men arguing over make believe spaceships from a make believe universe and then having a see who can pee the highest competition about how much they've Comic Book Guyed themselves over children's movies.

If you know that the gasket for the thingamajig on the (insert ship here) is 3mm bigger than the gasket for the thingamajig on the (insert same ship slightly different variant here)  then you seriously need to get out a bit more. If, of course you're not under lockdown, in which case fill your boots.

Cheers
Baaa

Oh, and before anyone gets their fanboy knickers in a twist about me calling the movies "children's movies", here in the UK the original trilogy has the same rating as Bambi and The Wizard of Oz. Both of which are way scarier. 

For what it’s worth I at least have missed your input around these parts, I may not always agree but you usually brought good points. Unfortunately since well before the lockdown it seemed we had some here who only wanted to argue. I’ve been here a long time and It seems to come in cycles, people will get toxic and then we’ll have a period of good discussions, rinse and repeat. It seems to have gotten worse before covid but who knows when we’ll pull out of this one. 

21 minutes ago, Vykk Draygo said:

For what it’s worth I at least have missed your input around these parts, I may not always agree but you usually brought good points. Unfortunately since well before the lockdown it seemed we had some here who only wanted to argue. I’ve been here a long time and It seems to come in cycles, people will get toxic and then we’ll have a period of good discussions, rinse and repeat. It seems to have gotten worse before covid but who knows when we’ll pull out of this one. 

Thanks.

Hopefully a wee bitty sooner rather than later.

Cheers
Baaa

16 hours ago, Baaa said:

What could have been a decent thread has descended into another reason I mostly lurk here these days. Grown *** men arguing over make believe spaceships from a make believe universe and then having a see who can pee the highest competition about how much they've Comic Book Guyed themselves over children's movies.

To be fair, I wouldn't classify anything in this thread as "arguing". Discussing and disagreeing, but not arguing. If you want to see arguing, go look at that World of Wargaming thread a week or so back. That got stupid despite being a toned down version of the argument that happened on facebook.

9 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

If you want to see arguing, go look at that World of Wargaming thread a week or so back.

I mean you can even look at other FFG forums to see some real tolling. I find these X-wing ones to be so civilized and a breath of fresh air.

On 7/16/2020 at 1:17 PM, 5050Saint said:

To be fair, I wouldn't classify anything in this thread as "arguing". Discussing and disagreeing, but not arguing. If you want to see arguing, go look at that World of Wargaming thread a week or so back. That got stupid despite being a toned down version of the argument that happened on facebook.

Plus even the discussing and disagreeing in the thread pretty much all happened back in April, there were only a couple of (very mild) recent posts so it feels a bit unnecessary to post now to complain about too much arguing.

936d27c66b208cb702bd7529dcfd7ffa.jpg

rebel-starfighters-ywing.jpg

Looking at the cross section does not really give any major clues to what the gimmick  would be. More shields and better dial are most likely since the other two Resistance upgraded ships did that. The only thing I could see would be something with the turret since they say it is automated and the cross section shows it being a one seat ship.