Sign in to follow this  
jhh3

N-1 Exclusive

Yeah. I was just wondering how many they had available. I know they are limited, but it seems a lot more did not get it than did. I don't want to sound salty (because the N-1 is not my cup of tea, game-wise),  but I'm curious on numbers available and total responses for the model.

21 minutes ago, Captain Mayhem said:

Yeah. I was just wondering how many they had available. I know they are limited, but it seems a lot more did not get it than did. I don't want to sound salty (because the N-1 is not my cup of tea, game-wise),  but I'm curious on numbers available and total responses for the model.

You’ll never get those numbers. Ffg won’t give them up.

But yes, way more people on the want scale did not get them than did. At least 3:1, probably more.

2 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

You’ll never get those numbers. Ffg won’t give them up.

But yes, way more people on the want scale did not get them than did. At least 3:1, probably more.

Yeah . That I do know. If people had in their minds that FFG didn't make enough, they would lose their minds. "Why didn't FFG make enough for demand?' or "They KNEW there would be a demand. They under-produced them." 

I know they were a Limited Edition and I congratulate all the people who were lucky to get one. I myself saw this as trying to be as fair as possible in this unprecedented situation.

53 minutes ago, Derpzilla88 said:

I saw that Crabbok ran a poll through YouTube to see who and who didn't get a code for the silver N-1. Last I checked on the results, it looked like only 20% of everyone who applied for a code got one.

Good to know. Thanks. I think I'll go over to his site and check it out.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Captain Mayhem said:

Yeah . That I do know. If people had in their minds that FFG didn't make enough, they would lose their minds.

Ugh.  This has been my Private War since last Adepticon, and a hill I was (and am still) willing to die on.

Last year people were all about "What's the big deal??  Go to the convention you want one so bad" and "I got mine, and you shouldn't be jealous."

"Why didn't FFG make enough for demand?' or "They KNEW there would be a demand. They under-produced them." 

I know they were a Limited Edition and I congratulate all the people who were lucky to get one. I myself saw this as trying to be as fair as possible in this unprecedented situation.

See above.  Last year everyone LIKED that supplies were for a few privileged players who went to Adepticon.

The few of us that thought it "wasn't fair" were ridiculed.  "Paint your own."  "Don't be mad someone else got something nice cuz you didn't."  "Then go to the Con and get one."

The N-1 Inclusive.  Supply = Demand.  This is the fight I have been trying to win for EVERYONE while most people called me a baby. :angry:

But that was not the message that FFG got last year.  So they under-produced them to make them Very Limited Limited Edition, just like the last LEs.  Just like the community seemed to like it.

Edited by Darth Meanie

8 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Ugh.  This has been my Private War since last Adepticon, and a hill I was (and am still) willing to die on.

Last year people were all about "What's the big deal??  Go to the convention you want one so bad" and "I got mine, and you shouldn't be jealous."

See above.  Last year everyone LIKED that supplies were for a few privileged players who went to Adepticon.

The few of us that thought it "wasn't fair" were ridiculed.  "Paint your own."  "Don't be mad someone else got something nice cuz you didn't."  "Then go to the Con and get one."

The N-1 Inclusive.  Supply = Demand.  This is the fight I have been trying to win for EVERYONE while most people called me a baby. :angry:

But that was not the message that FFG got last year.  So they under-produced them to make them Very Limited Limited Edition, just like the last LEs.  Just like the community seemed to like it.

You at least have it all straight and true so that's honestly really good.

I do have mine secured but I must admit I feel a LITTLE bad because I'm one of the least likely people to ever use it! My father seemed to have gotten one too. Odd luck/chance that.

If I hadn't been selected I'd been mildly sad but probably survived. I mostly just wanted padme's N1 because I like the silver version more.

3 hours ago, pakirby said:

I think FFG did the right thing by doing a random selection AFTER the Adepticon folks reserved their ships.  Looks like you’ll either have to buy one on eBay or paint your own...

After the Adepticon System Open folks.

I had tix to play Epic at Adepticon and I was still just a pleb who needed to get lucky.

3 hours ago, KCDodger said:

If I hadn't been selected I'd been mildly sad but probably survived.

I have been sad twice and still survived.

I'd still like less sadness in the world.

3 hours ago, KCDodger said:

You at least have it all straight and true so that's honestly really good.

I do have mine secured but I must admit I feel a LITTLE bad because I'm one of the least likely people to ever use it! My father seemed to have gotten one too. Odd luck/chance that.

If I hadn't been selected I'd been mildly sad but probably survived. I mostly just wanted padme's N1 because I like the silver version more.

Sounds like a good enough reason to get one, I got a far less positive opinion of anyone buying one and then marking it up sky high for re-sell.

I was gonna buy 2 of them if I could but I would have given or traded it with someone at my store if they couldn't get one. Or maybe a prize in a future tournament/league?

To be fair, this was a special promo for a convention. It was never meant for the retail market. Things happen and they did the best they could with a bad situation. I don't go to conventions and I don't think there is anything wrong with a company running a promotion at a convention. These conventions really don't exist without these sort of exclusives. I really don't see any problem here. I am sure they only had a couple hundred of them. This isn't something they want to have left overs of. The fact that so many people were able to gain access to something they normally wouldn't have had access to is why people are upset. It is a lottery. You sign up and either you win or you don't. Mostly likely, you don't. Have proper expectations and you won't be so disappointed.

It does show FFG that there is a market for alt paint schemes on the retail market. Hopefully they figure it out.

@Darth Meanie I'm pretty sure I've been in that foxhole with you since the False Prophet of the Apocalypse Golden Droid. I remember getting absolutely blasted for thinking the LEs were a bad idea back then. Funny, were still here on that hill.

Since then it's been a needle in my mind. I've been trying to wrap my head around why there have been many debates on the subject. There's a weirdness to it that I don't deny: limited promos of cards, templates, tokens, dials, don't have this issue to nearly the same degree as the painted model. And I ask myself why. Recently I think I've arrived at my own conclusion while, ironically, I was sitting down to some painting of 40k.

Larger wargames usually have 'centerpiece' models somewhere in the army. Sure, a good army could completely be so well done that it's all showcase worthy, but even those have a 'special one'.  It could be a single figure or a tank or a monster or whatever, but you probably have one, even by default, a Commander type unit may fill that spot. X-wing is a little different in that some specific lists might have something akin to a centerpiece model Like a Falcon amongst a few Zed95s would be the same thing. But in I think a majority of cases, with the squads being really low model count 8 or less, your whole figure pool IS your centerpiece. The cardboard is the support model structure to them. Out of all the game pieces on the board, the ones that stands out the most will obviously be your focal point, and ta-da, that's the models. 

This thought came to me as I was painting my Black Templar Executioner BFG Tank'o'doom centerpiece, and pondering how it was unfortunate I couldn't get the centerpiece model for the Legion army I wanted (alt sculpt Obi-Wan) that turned me off of buying into Legion at all. It occurred to me that I was valuing both those things, the tank in my hands and the Obi that wasn't, the same way I was valuing the alt paint ships. They were centerpieces I couldn't have. Like, I love having all the alt art cards for my squads if I can, that's super cool and fun, but the ship itself was always the focus. 

Mostly though I'm just baffled by a company that has people ready to shower them in money, and doesn't make the product to get that money. I can't imagine it's cheap to do such a limited run of some paint scheme. Someone had to retool a production line to make that alt paint. To do that work for one super limited run to only convert it to standard or shut it down seems incredibly silly. I'm really curious how much they have to tool the factory for a run.

8 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Too bad they create the other 20%. 🤣

Still, choose wisely and it's worth it. 😊

Eh! I dunno'! Mine's been amazing!

8 hours ago, KiraYamatoSF said:

Sounds like a good enough reason to get one, I got a far less positive opinion of anyone buying one and then marking it up sky high for re-sell.

I was gonna buy 2 of them if I could but I would have given or traded it with someone at my store if they couldn't get one. Or maybe a prize in a future tournament/league?

Toys are meant to be played with, you know? Besides if I really wanted to get into the scalping game I'd have bought some of those Animal Crossing: New Horizons switches.

But I ain't no cappy bassard.

I came on here to ask something, and based on the content above me, I think I have the answer, but I'm going to ask anyway.

I take it these have all been spoken for?  The reason I ask is, I signed up, and put in my code, as did a few of my other X-Wing friends. 

One of my friends got lucky and got a code, which he put in to get a ship.

Another of my friends got an email, politely telling him he wasn't selected, and thanks for signing up.

I got... nothing at all.  I did get the initial confirmation email saying I had signed up, which I looked at to verify I didn't typo my name or email address or something.  But since I friend got a rejection email, I had been conditioned to expect some kind of reply.  When I got nothing, I kept checking for a day or two, hoping maybe they were doing the selection in phases...like maybe they pulled 200 names one day, and another 200 the next, and so on.

So, is it safe to say I just didn't win?  Because I'm stuck in this weird state of confusion.

Thanks!

My son and I both had Tix to play at Adepticon.  Part of the reason I went ahead and signed up was the lure of a LE ship.  The purpose of these shinies is to get people to shell out for con tickets and it worked.  Adepticon ain't cheap and getting a shiny, limited model is a neat incentive that has no effect on gameplay. 

Now, the flip side of that is some people are going to be upset because they miss out.  You can't have one without the other.  Special incentives only work if they feel special.  

4 hours ago, direweasel said:

I came on here to ask something, and based on the content above me, I think I have the answer, but I'm going to ask anyway.

I take it these have all been spoken for?  The reason I ask is, I signed up, and put in my code, as did a few of my other X-Wing friends. 

Another of my friends got an email, politely telling him he wasn't selected, and thanks for signing up.

I got... nothing at all.  I did get the initial confirmation email saying I had signed up, which I looked at to verify I didn't typo my name or email address or something.  But since I friend got a rejection email, I had been conditioned to expect some kind of reply.  When I got nothing, I kept checking for a day or two, hoping maybe they were doing the selection in phases...like maybe they pulled 200 names one day, and another 200 the next, and so on.

So, is it safe to say I just didn't win?  Because I'm stuck in this weird state of confusion.

Thanks!

It is safe to assume you probably weren't selected, either they just didn't send you a email or they are backlogged. 

However they did say before if there are any unused codes after a date they would send out new emails to people who didn't already get one a code. Which from what it sounds like that is gonna happen.

Anyone ordering in the USA are either paying little or no shipping anyone outside the country like in Europe have to pay like 40 bucks to ship the item. Because of this a lot of people are changing their minds or seeing if FFG can do something. I have heard some people are giving away their codes and they do work for others but not sure if that's true.

6 hours ago, direweasel said:

Thanks!

Check your spam folders, you should have got a reply one way or the other.  It would be a shame if it was a win email that you never read!