Zrob314

Hostage Exchange and Detachments

Why would you choose a detachment? It effectively gives your opponent a better chance to kill your unit holding the objective.

As for can you do it, I would say yes. The Hostage Exchange card just says to select a corps unit, and the detachments are in fact corps. This all happens before "deploy units" so there would be no restrictions.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mokoshkana said:

Why would you choose a detachment? It effectively gives your opponent a better chance to kill your unit holding the objective.

As for can you do it, I would say yes. The Hostage Exchange card just says to select a corps unit, and the detachments are in fact corps. This all happens before "deploy units" so there would be no restrictions.

Bigger base = bigger move and you can't target the hostage holder in round 1.
Also, notched base.  Mortars are a significantly lower target profile. 
Also 3 Health, 2 courage. 

Edited by Zrob314

2 hours ago, nashjaee said:

Assuming you're referring to the Imperial Mortar and Rebel MKII? Yeah I don't see any reason you can't select them.

That is unfortunate, as it gives the imperial players a glaring advantage over the other three factions. 

10 hours ago, Zrob314 said:

That is unfortunate, as it gives the imperial players a glaring advantage over the other three factions. 

I think you need to reconsider what constitutes a "glaring" advantage. They have less health than even a basic squad of anything, the extra courage will almost never matter, they don't move that much faster (3/4 of an inch or so?), and they aren't that much shorter. The mortar is a pretty terrible choice for Hostage-taker. Keep in mind that with a multi-mini unit you can cohere them into cover.