Sign in to follow this  
Sparviero

Double or Nothing + Meat Cleaver

Is the healing effect from Meat Cleaver doubled by Double or Nothing?

Meat Cleaver -> "If this attack defeats an enemy, you may heal 1 horror. As an additional cost to initiate this ability, you may take 1 horror to have this attack deal +1 damage."
Double or Nothing -> "Double the difficulty of this skill test. If this skill test is successful, resolve the effects of the successful test twice."

Thanks!

Thanks for the answer. This question popped in my mind cause DoN seems to double any effect resulting by the test (step 7), including bonus damage, even if the bonus damage text itself is not spelled as "if the test is succesfull, then +1 damage".

The healing from MC triggers in step 7 too, so... it seemed it could be legal to me.

Edited by Sparviero

1 hour ago, SGPrometheus said:

Yeah, they resolve in the same step but the horror heal doesn't trigger from test success. If it were possible to fail the test but still defeat the enemy, you'd still still heal 1 horror. DoN works as you assume it to, but the heal is outside its scope.

Like an oops perhaps?

17 hours ago, Soakman said:

Like an oops perhaps?

Yes, you could fail the fight and then play Oops to defeat whippoorwills, let's say. Defeating the enemy would theoretically give you the horror heal, but I'm not sure the damage from Oops counts as "this attack," like meat cleaver requires. If Oops said something like, "resolve this attack successfully on another enemy at your location," I'd say it would definitely heal you. The way it's written though, I can see an argument that the only thing applied to the new target is the attack's damage. The attack itself isn't transferred to the new target, and meat cleaver requires the attack to be the thing that defeats the enemy. Still, I'm not sure; Oops could use "this attack" the same way meat cleaver does, and meat cleaver might see its damage no matter where it's transferred, making the combo work.

All committed skills that have text like "if this skill test is successful" (Vicious Blow, Deduction, Quick Thinking, All In, Perception, Overpower, Manual Dexterity, Guts, True Understanding, Resourceful, Eureka!, Inspiring Presence, Surprising Find, Survival Instinct, Brute Force, Sharp Vision, Momentum, Leadership (2), Hatchet Man, Fearless, Expeditious Retreat, Enraptured, "Watch This!", Nimble, did I miss any?), and any other abilities that set up a lasting effect throughout the skill test that only comes into effect if the skill test is successful, such as Gregory Gry, are tacked on to the consequences of succeeding at the skill test, and are resolved in Step 7 of the skill test, and will be resolved twice as a result of Double or Nothing. All effects that are a Response to succeeding at a skill test (like Dr Milan) are resolved in step 6 and are not doubled.

So yes, if you commit Vicious Blow and Double or Nothing to an attack and then the attack is successful, you will double the extra damage from Vicious Blow.

(Edit: I know of other skills that resolve in step 7, but they won't be affected by Double or Nothing, e.g. Intrepid can't be put into play twice)

Edited by Allonym