Sign in to follow this  
JBFancourt

Easy Way To Get Vassal or TTS on Chromebook?

Posted (edited)

I’m not super computer literate... 😬

Thanks!

Asking for a friend, I’m currently on Vassal. I’d also install TTS tho if he can get that on his machine, so whichever is easier. 

Edited by JBFancourt

3 hours ago, JBFancourt said:

Heh I just got and tried TTS for the first time...

A little disorienting at first.  While Vassal feels like I’m playing X-Wing, TTS feels like I’m playing a FPS where the main character is playing X-Wing. 😂😂

Usually people have the opposite feeling. To me TTS feels like I’m actually playing X-Wing.

1 hour ago, Tbetts94 said:

Usually people have the opposite feeling. To me TTS feels like I’m actually playing X-Wing.

No, don’t get me wrong it feels great. I think it’s all the camera angles. I feel like I’m operating a robot who wants to play X-Wing. Haha. Probably just because I’m used to Vassal...

I don't know much about doing this as I haven't tried these apps on my Chromebook specifically yet.

For sure, you'll need to know if your Chromebook supports Linux apps. 

You'll want to have at least Chrome version 80 as it adds some graphics support for Linux apps that was missing before. https://chromeunboxed.com/chrome-os-80-gpu-linux-apps-enabled/

You'll need Steam for TTS. Here's a somewhat outdated guide on installing it. https://brismuth.com/how-to-install-steam-on-a-chromebook-57174d1f1f32 If you're on Chrome 80+, you should be able to skip the bit about GPU acceleration. You might also want to look for newer guides on enabling the Linux system, as the process might have changed slightly since then (I don't think much, though). Another guide for installing Steam: https://www.reddit.com/r/Crostini/wiki/howto/install-steam

You might still have issues if your Chromebook is on the lower end of models. I've also run into issues on my Samsung Chromebook Plus as it has ARM architecture and a lot of apps are not written to support that. If its on a Pixel, should be fine. If it's something not as powerful, might have subpar performance or lack of support.

I'd also suggest checking out the crostini subreddit (crostini is the name of the project for making Linux apps work on ChromeOS).

It's possible, and it shouldn't be as painful as it used to be, depending on hardware. Best of luck.

Steam has options for streaming games to other devices via their Steam Link app (or device, if you can find one for sale somewhere), or via their "Remote Play Together" option. The idea is that you run the game on one PC, and other device(s) can stream video and input to it, acting like the remote device is just part of the original PC. In theory, anyway. The success and reliability varies, depending on the system(s) and games involved.