Jump to content
Admiral Calkins

Starting, Restarting, and/or Maintaining an Armada Community

Recommended Posts

Keeping everything positive and avoiding the complaining (a perpetrator myself sometimes) is also key.   having a core of reliable players showing up is also key, as no one wants to show up for a  tournament and have no one else show up.  

 

Build hype about tournaments.  I personally usually start posting about  them, messaging direct to regulars as soon as it is announced...with reminders.  And if you are one of the good players not bringing the crush everyone else list when fighting new players is also important.  I like to go through my list and ask them if they have any questions and if there are combos I ask if they know about that (provided I don't know the player already).  This way nothing should surprise them. 

 

Overall great write up and good work for your community. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mogrok said:

And if you are one of the good players not bringing the crush everyone else list when fighting new players is also important.

You are spot on with this one, and it is exactly why the X-Wing community was on life support when I arrived.  Our “X-Wing Guy” would just brutally crush new players during casual games (even during demos), so eventually no one wanted to play with him.  For the veteran Armada players here, we have been playing a lot more with Tarkin, Cracken, Tagge (that game did not go well for me), and the like, giving newer players better odds of a victory or small loss while at the same time exposing them to lesser used commanders and/or ships/squads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everytime I see this culture of regular meetups in this huge stores I get jealous. In Germany there almost no store that has enough space for an Armada playgroup. It's all communicating via WhatsApp and meeting up at home for us. There are only very few private game clubs or people with enough space at home to host a regular game night.

Still. I can't complain, the local intrest in Armada is high and tournaments are usally fully booked in a matter of days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Decarior said:

Everytime I see this culture of regular meetups in this huge stores I get jealous. In Germany there almost no store that has enough space for an Armada playgroup. It's all communicating via WhatsApp and meeting up at home for us. There are only very few private game clubs or people with enough space at home to host a regular game night.

Still. I can't complain, the local intrest in Armada is high and tournaments are usally fully booked in a matter of days.

Some of the games groups meet up at local pubs in the UK. Space to play, beer to drink. Meals to buy. Pubs that have meeting rooms get to hire them out and make some money on evenings when they are otherwise not busy.

Don't try this at busy pubs though! No-one wants their models and cards covered in beer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gilarius said:

Some of the games groups meet up at local pubs in the UK. Space to play, beer to drink. Meals to buy. Pubs that have meeting rooms get to hire them out and make some money on evenings when they are otherwise not busy.

Don't try this at busy pubs though! No-one wants their models and cards covered in beer!

Something I never knew that I needed: an Armada Pub League.  Lose a ship, drink a beer (half for an SSD with half hull damage).  That will really make MSUs less of an option than they already are...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Admiral Calkins said:

Something I never knew that I needed: an Armada Pub League.  Lose a ship, drink a beer (half for an SSD with half hull damage).  That will really make MSUs less of an option than they already are...

Either I'm too good to lose ships or I'm too drunk to care. Seems like a win-win for me!

Also ships should have different beers based on their hullpoints.  Lose Admo, shotgun a Guinness.  Lose an ISD, 2 Tallboys of PBR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, geek19 said:

Either I'm too good to lose ships or I'm too drunk to care. Seems like a win-win for me!

Also ships should have different beers based on their hullpoints.  Lose Admo, shotgun a Guinness.  Lose an ISD, 2 Tallboys of PBR.

Concur.

"Hear that, FFG... we just gave you another side event at Worlds!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What an amazing post!  I applaud @Admiral Calkins for his dedication and effort, and second everything he says.  

The one thing I'll add is that once the scene is up and running, it's important to start cultivating other players to take up leadership responsibilities and share the load.  The last thing you want is a local scene to collapse because the organizer for the area got burnt out or encountered life demands.  Having members willing and able to step in to keep things up is important to the long term health of a community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Maturin said:

What an amazing post!  I applaud @Admiral Calkins for his dedication and effort, and second everything he says.  

The one thing I'll add is that once the scene is up and running, it's important to start cultivating other players to take up leadership responsibilities and share the load.  The last thing you want is a local scene to collapse because the organizer for the area got burnt out or encountered life demands.  Having members willing and able to step in to keep things up is important to the long term health of a community.

That almost happened in my community. The TO just one day chose to leave due to another game interest. The admin for our FB page left at some point without anyone to take over. New players couldn't join the group. So I started a new group page. I think lack of new content almost killed our group too, but its slowly growing again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been trying to think how to stay on track after everything went sideways thanks to Covid. Had a very successful demo back on the 14th of March and the longer this goes the more I wonder if I'm going to loose steam. Thank you for posting this though gives me some ideas how to get started again when this finally blows over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Spectre8174, you're very welcome.  Always tough to restart a community after a hiatus, but this could also be an opportunity.  You got your demo in before the social distancing began though, so at least those people know how awesome the game is in person, and I am willing to bet that a lot of other gaming groups have put things on hold as well.  A couple suggestions.  First, if you are part of a gaming local group on Facebook, post pictures of playing (even if it's just a solo game), painting, or news from FFG / interesting forum threads.  Second, reach out to your FLGS to see if they will 1) Play a game, hold a squadron painting session, or a show a ship preview online on their website or social media page, or 2) Have a small sale on Armada products (as sales are most likely down on gaming products across the board [no pun intended]).  Lastly, try to get people to test out Vassal or Tabletop Simulator, as they are excellent mediums to still get some games in (and for newbies, without buying the products).  Anyways, good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bunch of the guys at the demo did drop a lot of cash on product that day hoping they stay hungry and if by some chance if things open up by May 4th maybe run another demo along with legion and x-wing, though I'm not optimistic about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Spectre8174 said:

if things open up by May 4th ...


That'd be cool, but from what I've heard a team at Harvard is now saying 2022, and the original report out of, I believe, King's Colleg--the one that got all the world leaders to start taking Covid-19 seriously--says about ~18 months of aggressive social distancing assuming an effective vaccine rolls out about as quickly as possible.

So, May 4th of 2021/22 might pan out...?  

😞

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2020 at 8:36 PM, Admiral Calkins said:

Something I never knew that I needed: an Armada Pub League.  Lose a ship, drink a beer (half for an SSD with half hull damage).  That will really make MSUs less of an option than they already are...

Drink when you shot down an opposing ship. That's gonna help msu!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, flatpackhamster said:

I've only started playing Armada sober since the lockdown came in and I started playing in the morning.  Before that all my games were 8pm on a Friday night after a week with the kids. 

So the question is, has this made you a better or worse Armada player?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Admiral Calkins said:

So the question is, has this made you a better or worse Armada player?

 

Both.  It's like when I played pool back in my student days.

 

The way it worked was that you needed to quickly get about 2 pints in or so, and then keep the blood/alcohol level just right, and it seemed to switch off your upper parts of your brain and let you 'see' where all the balls would go.

But the trouble was that it was that the line between 'magical geometry vision' and 'blurred vision and a raging thirst for more beer' was about half a pint, so it was very easy to overdo it and go from Pool God to Pillock in about 15 minutes.

 

So it is with Armada.  Up until about turn 3 every turn is sublime, and I can drop my speed 3 ISD with millimetre precision just outside black die range of that MC75. 

From turn 4 onwards it basically becomes dodgems with dice.

 

So my early game is worse, but my later game has improved significantly.  The outcome, though, remains mostly the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote here for getting local folks onto VASSAL or Tabletop simulator for Armada games.  One of the local crew wanted to play a RitR campaign, called for interest on the local FB group, and quickly assembled 6 players for a campaign via VASSAL, facilitated by Discord for chatting and Flagship for admin.  Trash talking online is always better when you know the opponent in person!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...