Sign in to follow this  
Ryantfc175

Getting back into it

So I want to get back into xwing. I am interested in both republic and CIS only. Do i need to get the core set 2.0 in order to get all the materials required or can I just get the crepublic/CIS starters?

Depends if you want to play competitively or casually. If you are playing casually then you could get by with the components from 1.0 and the Heroes/Servants packs most likely.

If you are planning to play competitively, you should probably get the core set as well.

You could also look at The Big X-Wing Trade Thread.

Posted (edited)

The Republic and CIS starters will get you going with ships and tokens, and you can get obstacles from the recent "Never Tell Me the Odds" pack.

However, you will need to source some dice, templates and a damage deck. These are all sold separately nowadays, but if you can find someone to offload the X-wing and TIE Fighters to, it might still be more cost-effective to buy the core set.

Edited by DR4CO

Posted (edited)

There's really nothing of value Imo in the core set. 

Luke is a good pilot. But you're not even playing Rebels. 

You can buy a faction specific damage deck. This is probably the only thing you must buy. 

You can official tounrmanet ok 2.0 templates. The range ruler is the same. If you buy these, you will be spending more or equal to core set soon. 

Rocks are the same. 

I think that's it. 

You should have dice already if you've played before, but again you can ask some tourney players if they have non-promo dice. 

Frankly though, it depends on if you want to pay for nice templates. You can really make do with 1.0 templates though except at tournaments, someone is BOUND to make a massive fuss even though frankly they're pretty much the same as long as you eyeball middle well. 

Edited by Blail Blerg

As one that exclusively plays both CIS and Republic (Republic mostly), you can get all your core set needs from other products that FFG has produced for X-Wing. 

Biggest thing I can mention is getting either the Guardians of the Republic squadron packs or the Servants of Strife squadron pack.

I will say, I am transitioning to Legion mainly at this time, and the reason I play Republic still is that I LOVE playing the Jedi in X-Wing. The Jedi are just that fun to play, at least to me.

13 hours ago, Ryantfc175 said:

So I want to get back into xwing. I am interested in both republic and CIS only. Do i need to get the core set 2.0 in order to get all the materials required or can I just get the crepublic/CIS starters?

Casually? Not at all!

Competitively? Maybe for one card. 🙂 

if you have any 1.0 leftovers, your obstacles/dice are 100% legal and carry over. If you don’t, there are ways to get them without the core set - never tell me the odds expansion plus dice packs.

For damage decks - currently the only easy ways to source a deck (which is different from any 1.0 deck) is the core set or to eBay the promotional one. However — they have faction specific artwork (same critical text etc - functionally the same) decks that have slipped out here and there from preorders so we know they’re only being held up because of covid. I got mine in the mail from FFG. This will be an easy way to source good looking decks for you without the core set.

Templates? There are so many third party ones that are legal and even Ffg has a plastic template pack out now.

Right now, the force upgrade sense can only be sourced out of the core set. It lets you see one enemy dial before activations begin but after all dials are set (system phase is the new term but think of the old 1.0 timing window when Whisper would decloak or not).

Do you need it? Probably not, although in certain Jedi lists it has been super helpful. But that’s the only real reason I can come up with for why you may “have” to in order to be competitive.

Now, is the core cheaper than a dice pack, NTMTO, templates and a deck? Maybe maybe not. I’d have to shop around based on what’s available to your location. But if you have your old 1.0 stuff still, you literally just need the deck and templates (and casually the templates can be skipped too - there is a specific reason to have the templates though as there are new markings that impact barrel rolls, Talon rolls, and assist with bumping)

13 hours ago, Ryantfc175 said:

No. All the things you need from the Core Set except for three force power upgrades (one does not need them for prequel factions but "Sense" is fairly commonly equipped on Jedi and I rather enjoy Instinctive Aim on my Adv. Proton Torpedoes Anakin Galactic Republic Y-wing) are available as stand-alone products. 

Dice are available on their own and are the same as 1st Edition. 

Obstacles are also able to be brought from 1st Edition. Two of the prequel factions have the expansions with the new gas clouds in them. Obstacles of all sorts are also available in the Never Tell Me The Odds Obstacle Pack.

A Damage Deck is or will soon be available in faction specific flavors via damage deck accessories.  There was a promotional deck available at the premiere of 2nd Editon and one is likely to find those or damage decks broken out from the 2nd Edition Core Set in the secondary market. 

Maneuver Templates are the same as 1st Edition except for the addition of a line bisecting the template. This line is used when resolving bumps and when resolving barrel rolls/talon rolls (which is somewhat changed from 1st Edition.) Maneuver Templates are also available as an official accessory.  There are also aftermarket options available. You can bring 1st Edition stuff forward here particularly if playing with others with 2nd Edition templates who would allow you to use their items to resolve things when necessary. 

So you do not NEED to get a 2nd Edition Core Set. However if you are not bringing things forward from 1st Edition the math is on the side of getting the 2nd Edition Core set.

Dice Pack =                        $7.95

Obstacle Pack =              $14.95 

Damage Deck =                $4.95

Maneuver Templates = $19.95 

That's $47.80. A Core set is $39.95. 

You might drop the Obstacles Pack and content yourself with the gas clouds from Guardians of The Republic and/or Servants of Strife to come back under a core at $32.85. And most players are rarely content with a single set of dice (back to $40.80.) Now most of the stuff in the list in this context is an upgrade over the 2nd Edition Core Set. The Obstacle Pack has some neat scenario play items in it if that is your cup of tea. 

The big sticking point is you really need one of the 2nd Edition damage decks. If you're playing at a club or with a group and have 1st Edition stuff there is a good chance you'll be able to just get your prequel faction ships and borrow the rest.

Otherwise you're going through a lot of Sturm and Drang and inconvenience over... what really? What will you save in the long run? Why is it important to not have to buy the core components for a game you'd like to play?