Sign in to follow this  
Replicant253

Help me finish my Armada collection

Hi all.  I need some help.  I got into Armada at launch and played semi frequently up until 2017, around what i think was wave 5 (Liberty and Interdictor).  

I doubt i'll play much again, none of my gaming group have an interest, but i like it too much to sell it on and my two young sons may one day be ideal gaming buddies.  That said my suspicion is that galactic civil war period might be done and im not interested in diving in again with the move to the clone wars era.  So if i was going to buy one more ship for each faction what would it be?

My collection at the moment is thus:

IMPERIAL

2 x VSD/2 xISD/1xGSD/1xRaider/1xInterdictor/ 1 x support ship things 

REBEL

2 x Nebulon/2 x Corvettes/2 x Assault Frigates/2 x MC80/2 x MC30/1 x liberty/ 1 x support ship(transports). 

I have plenty of squadrons so not interested in adding anymore.  I'm not a completionist, i just want to buy one more ship for each faction and sign off from buying anything more.  Thoughts greatly appreciated.  

Posted (edited)

What do you like to fly?

Squadrons?

Upgraded-to-the-teeth-dreadnoughts?

Fast MSU?

Ackbar gunlines?

Long range or short range?

A well balanced fleet incorporating some or all of those?

The Pelta is a solid Carrier/fleet command ship, but you'd be missing out on Intensify Firepower unless you got the Chimaera.  Still a winner if you love B-wings and the like.  Sato fleets are awesome but he likes a lot of the newer, ordnance-oriented ships (and to a lesser degree the newer Aces.)

Hammerheads are a lot of fun (better Raiders, in some ways) and surprisingly durable for their size.  Running 2 is usually bad because you don't get value from the task force titles, unfortunately.  Leia sucks, in large part because MSU is in a bad place right now.

The MC75 is what I'd recommend in a vacuum.  It plays differently, can do a lot of things (brawler, carrier, Ackbar, tank) and comes with some great upgrades including Raddus, who you can build all sorts of lists around.

The Starhawk is a tank/carrier/flak ship that one builds at least half their list around.  It's looking like Agate comes stapled to it, though.

The Arq is a skirmisher somewhere between a CR90 and an Assault Frigate.  It's not a multirole ship, but it's fun and good at what it does.

The Quasar pushes loads of squadrons affordably and that's it.  It's really good at it, though, and comes with some great upgrades.  Admiral Sloane brings a whole new "maxed-out furious TIEs" archetype to the game, which is fun.

Chimaera is a great all-around warship.  The Kuat is like an ISD-1 oriented for ship-to-ship combat, while the Cymoon is a more fragile sniper (an upgunned LMC80, if you will.)  It gives Imps the fleet command slot and some solid gold upgrades like Brunson and Pryce, and includes the components to run 3 of the included ISD refits.  Flexible and pretty powerful.

The SSD is good, but probably bigger than what you were looking at; I can't recommend it without some of the cards in other expansions (notably DCO.)

The Onager also looks to be good so far; it's fragile, but hits across the map.  I haven't played it much yet, so won't make too many judgements.

Edited by The Jabbawookie

3 hours ago, Replicant253 said:

Hi all.  I need some help.  I got into Armada at launch and played semi frequently up until 2017, around what i think was wave 5 (Liberty and Interdictor).  

I doubt i'll play much again, none of my gaming group have an interest, but i like it too much to sell it on and my two young sons may one day be ideal gaming buddies.  That said my suspicion is that galactic civil war period might be done and im not interested in diving in again with the move to the clone wars era.  So if i was going to buy one more ship for each faction what would it be?

My collection at the moment is thus:

IMPERIAL

2 x VSD/2 xISD/1xGSD/1xRaider/1xInterdictor/ 1 x support ship things 

REBEL

2 x Nebulon/2 x Corvettes/2 x Assault Frigates/2 x MC80/2 x MC30/1 x liberty/ 1 x support ship(transports). 

I have plenty of squadrons so not interested in adding anymore.  I'm not a completionist, i just want to buy one more ship for each faction and sign off from buying anything more.  Thoughts greatly appreciated.  

The Onager Star Destroyer is an awesome ship. I've had tremendous success with it before... yunno. It is the second most expensive Imperial ship, but it's worth it IMO, and what a ship to go out on! 😎

I don't know if one of your two ISDs is the Chimaera, but that's another great ship. It has many great upgrade cards and it comes with two Gauntlet Fighter squadrons, so it's a great value.

The Arquitens (Imperial Light Cruiser) is difficult to find and IMO a single Arq isn't that great. It's not until you use multiple Arqs in a chain that it starts to shine.

The Quasar Fire (Imperial Light Carrier) is even more difficult to find but is a great, inexpensive carrier, and comes with Admiral Sloane, who will put all your squadrons to good use.

For the Rebels, the Profundity is my top pick since you already have the other 3 Mon Cal ships.

I can't recommend the Starhawk because it's kinda a disappointment. It may be difficult to destroy -- unless you use my patented ISD2 and OSD combo 😉 -- but it's too easy to simply avoid it. If you just want an awesome looking ship to cap off your Armada collection, go ahead and get the Starhawk... but I think other Rebel ships provide greater value.

Super Star Destroyer!  $200 worth of awesome, and even if you don't like flying it (I don't) it looks great on top of your bookshelf next to a life-sized stormtrooper replica helmet.  Trust me.

You also only really need one Starhawk, and if you're worried about how it does on the table, it's currently won the Vassal World Cup and placed 2nd in the Oops All Travel Cancelled Not Worlds Tournament, so pretty good I'd say.

2 ISDs means you only really need 1 Chimera to get the option to run TRIPLE CYMOON because each one comes with 3 Cymoon / Kuat cards and cardboard.

For Must Buys though...

Rebel:  Starhawk gives you the Starhawk, Agate, and some other really fun upgrade cards.  Pelta gives you one of the most efficient Rebel ships and the best place to put Intensify Firepower, which you can find in Starhawk, Super Star Destroyer, or Chimera.

Imperial:  Arquitens gives you Moff Jerjerrod, who is low-key the most successful Imperial commander.  Onager is just GOOD, and comes with Romodi who may be the real best Imperial commander.  Quasar gives you Sloane and the ability to run an Imperial 134 squadron ball.  Those 3 are the best Imperial commanders out right now.

Rebellion in the Rim is too good not to get.  Even if you don't play it the upgrade cards and objective cards are worth it.

16 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

What does that mean, “stop buying?” You mean we can... stop?

🙂

Yes, you can stop when there is nothing anymore to buy.

I recently stopped to buy Light Cruiser and MC30 😁😉