Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Burgie1996

Dexter Drake Deck Building Confirmed

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, SGPrometheus said:

It always bugs me when a character is portrayed on a card that character can't even use, even though I know it's story vs gameplay segregation.

How often has that happened, would you say?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Soakman said:

Not too often, but I think Wendy is on something she can't take? I haven't really kept track.

Streetwise, which I think was more obvious because the card pool was smaller and there were only 10 investigators released at the time.

I can’t think of any other examples, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there were a few more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The person pictured on Cryptic Research is probably Norman Withers (that epic beard!); Norman is not normally depicted with glasses, whereas the person on Cryptic Research is wearing a pair, but they could very easily be reading glasses.

It seems probable that the person pictured on Knowledge is Power is intended to be Father Mateo, with the same hair colour and length, overall age, and wearing a black cassock with a clerical collar. The cassock shown in Knowledge is Power is a little more embroidered than that shown on his investigator card, with a design at the centre of the breast and a patterned belt, but that's hardly much to go on; after all, Mark Harrigan wears a different coat and wields a different weapon on his investigator card than those shown on The Home Front.

That's about it for cards depicting investigators who can't take them, as far as I know.

There's also the issue of Mark Harrigan depicted with a tommy gun, when he can't use the Chicago Typewriter. Of course, the .45 Thompson has now been released, but at the time of release it was a little strange (and the .45 Thompson is depicted with a stick magazine, whereas Mark Harrigan is shown using a drum magazine, but that's really splitting hairs).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dysartes said:

How often has that happened, would you say?

I'm certain it's happened at least once. I'll have to go look through every card again (but I'm probably thinking of streetwise, which we've established isn't Wendy).

Isn't it the new beginner deck seeker on cryptic research? Harvey Walters? Same thing with the glasses, but the hair matches better and the theme is entirely Harvey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SGPrometheus said:

Isn't it the new beginner deck seeker on cryptic research? Harvey Walters? Same thing with the glasses, but the hair matches better and the theme is entirely Harvey.

Certainly not, no. The person in Cryptic Research clearly has a long, Gandalf-y full beard, whereas the most distinct feature of Harvey Walters is his epic sideburns with clean-shaven chin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dysartes said:
10 hours ago, SGPrometheus said:

It always bugs me when a character is portrayed on a card that character can't even use, even though I know it's story vs gameplay segregation.

How often has that happened, would you say?

It always bothered me that Mateo was on Knowledge is Power, if only because he can't take it. With that said, I am glad to see that they are putting more investigators on card art.

 

knowledge is power.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, KBlumhardt said:

You can only see the back of his head... so I guess it's possible, but I don't see it.

That’s fair.  I thought for sure Cho be a Survivor when he was leaked, so that is probably where I made that leap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Allonym said:

Certainly not, no. The person in Cryptic Research clearly has a long, Gandalf-y full beard, whereas the most distinct feature of Harvey Walters is his epic sideburns with clean-shaven chin.

Could be George Barnaby?

It's honestly very hard to say what is representative of who unless you know the artist was working from a particular source via the designers or the artist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Soakman said:

Could be George Barnaby?

It's honestly very hard to say what is representative of who unless you know the artist was working from a particular source via the designers or the artist.

Certainly, but we might as well speculate - we need something to talk about during quarantine!

It's muddied further by the fact that FFG has a huge stock of "generic" Arkham/Mythos art - for example, the art presumably depicting Mark Harrigan on The Home Front is also used for Norman Blackwood Jr. in the old Call of Cthulhu LCG (man, why are all my examples about Mark Harrigan? Maybe I need to make another Mark deck...).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Allonym said:

Certainly, but we might as well speculate - we need something to talk about during quarantine!

It's muddied further by the fact that FFG has a huge stock of "generic" Arkham/Mythos art - for example, the art presumably depicting Mark Harrigan on The Home Front is also used for Norman Blackwood Jr. in the old Call of Cthulhu LCG (man, why are all my examples about Mark Harrigan? Maybe I need to make another Mark deck...).

Add to the confusion that isn’t it kind of a FFG tradition that various designers are actually portrayed on some cards? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2020 at 5:50 AM, Lily Chen said:

It always bothered me that Mateo was on Knowledge is Power, if only because he can't take it. With that said, I am glad to see that they are putting more investigators on card art.

I never saw that man as Father Mateo or any priest actually, mostly because the collar is not a correct clerical collar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2020 at 11:30 PM, Allonym said:

Certainly not, no. The person in Cryptic Research clearly has a long, Gandalf-y full beard, whereas the most distinct feature of Harvey Walters is his epic sideburns with clean-shaven chin.

But before this the only depiction of him was from his boom promo card...which has the long Gandalf-y beard. Which could be from a point in time before he shaved it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hyperjayman said:

But before this the only depiction of him was from his boom promo card...which has the long Gandalf-y beard. Which could be from a point in time before he shaved it.

Assuming you meant to type "book promo card", there is no book promo for Harvey Walters - you may be thinking of Norman Withers, who is exactly who I was referring to as actually being on Cryptic Research.

As for no previous depiction of Harvey Walters, I'm afraid that Arkham Horror Second Edition, Elder Sign, Mansions of Madness First and Second edition (character card and miniature), the official standalone miniature and Eldritch Horror (character card and standee), all of which depict him with sideburns, moustache and shaved chin, would beg to differ. He even appears in Arkham Horror First Edition, with a moustache but no sideburns, but since that dates back to 1987 and was a Chaosium product (not FFG, which didn't exist at the time), it seems safe to ignore that incarnation.

Harvey Walters is, in a way, one of the iconic Arkham Files investigators, and was originally an example character from the Call of Cthulhu RPG, so he has a rather long pedigree in the franchise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Allonym said:

r. He even appears in Arkham Horror First Edition, with a moustache but no sideburns, but since that dates back to 1987 and was a Chaosium product (not FFG, which didn't exist at the time), it seems safe to ignore that incarnation.

Now that is an impressive bit of  knowledge about Harvey. 
You may have to start a new thread for all of us in isolation. Some sort of daily Arkham Files Investigator Spotlight or something. Grab one out of the hat, give some awesome tidbit and it’s their day in the sun. Backstories, Art, playability, etc. 

It’s a whole month before the Innsmouth announcement and we need have to have something to discuss! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...