Sign in to follow this  
Cael

Demolition Tournament

28 minutes ago, player3691565 said:

Just play it with the damage taken is rolled over into the next battle. This removes any advantage to large high powered ships ect.

after all the player that skillfully keeps his ships free of damage or well repaired should have an advantage over they guy or girl who trashes all their ships but sneaks a win.

I would allow all Games to go the full five rounds even if a person is tabled as the skill full player could get in some repairing if they judged their dials right.

The tournament has already started; the rules are on page 1. 

Posted (edited)

The other thing to note is that under these rules 'wins' are virtually worthless.  The two main objectives each round are 'score any points' and 'loose as little as possible'.

'Killing your opponents stuff' is also there but is a....secondary objective?

All of which I have no problems with.  I would have loved to be part of this tournament.

Edited by Flengin

1 hour ago, Flengin said:

The other thing to note is that under these rules 'wins' are virtually worthless.  The two main objectives each round are 'score any points' and 'loose as little as possible'.

'Killing your opponents stuff' is also there but is a....secondary objective?

All of which I have no problems with.  I would have loved to be part of this tournament.

Yup, wins aren't super important here. I'd say killing your opponents is a primary goal since that's the only way to bump them out of the tournament (or prevent them from scoring points I guess), but force preservation is key. I was curious what it would be like to have games where the win or loss wasn't important, but the circumstances of the match were. In future tournaments I could see tying rewards like repairs to MoV, or making the final victory based on cumulative points scored, but I thought it would be fun to go more extreme for the first test.

For example, if all you've got is a Raider and you're taking it up against a fleet with like 300 points left, and you manage to kill a squadron or two but lose on objective points, who really won that match in the context of the tournament? Or if you use the Raider to win on objective points but nothing dies? It's all about changing decisions during the game from winning and MoV to force preservation and destruction of the enemy.

First round complete, good games everyone! Lots of destruction so far. Here are the current standings and pairings:

@Dupy (10 tournament points, 400 game points, 354 remaining fleet points) vs @OutboundFlight (9 tournament points, 283 game points, 288 remaining fleet points)

@The Jabbawookie (7 tournament points, 141 game points, 385 remaining fleet points) vs @TigerKommandant (6 tournament points, 170 game points, 228 remaining fleet points)

@MandalorianMoose (5 tournament points, 170 game points, 395 remaining fleet points) vs @mhd (4 tournament points, 45 game points, 333 remaining fleet points)

@Bertie Wooster (2 campaign points, 9 game points, 117 remaining fleet points) gets a bye, and @GhostofNobodyInParticular is eliminated with 101 remaining fleet points

I've been updating fleets with damage in the post on the second page. Please try to have the next round of games done by Sunday the 19th, and keep those ships exploding!

16 minutes ago, OutboundFlight said:

Can scarred ships repair and unscar themselves? Or at least keep the repaired hull value?

Scarred ships are permanently scarred, big ships would be way too good in the later stages of the tournament otherwise. They start at half hull regardless of whether they repaired up in a previous game. It’s a demolition tournament not a scheduled maintenance tournament 😄

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Cael said:

Scarred ships are permanently scarred, big ships would be way too good in the later stages of the tournament otherwise. They start at half hull regardless of whether they repaired up in a previous game. It’s a demolition tournament not a scheduled maintenance tournament 😄

Wish I had known that before we started, would have used some CF’s last game 😕

I feel like you should at least be able to keep repaired damage- I mean you were commanding your crew to fix stuff at the expense of other commands

Edited by MandalorianMoose

9 hours ago, Cael said:

As a former supply officer this hurts. When commands don't take maintenance stand downs seriously we end up unprepared for operations! 

10 hours ago, MandalorianMoose said:

Wish I had known that before we started, would have used some CF’s last game.😕

True. But I might have been able to knock a bit more health off it so you might be in the same spot.

1 hour ago, mhd said:

True. But I might have been able to knock a bit more health off it so you might be in the same spot.

Yea but if it starts at 11 regardless I’d have no incentive to try to stay above that... I could have focused on killing something and just survive with a few hull and start at 11 again... rather than repairing and starting the next round with what I ended at

Posted (edited)

Two rounds down! No eliminations this time, but attrition is taking its toll. Here are the matchups for the third round:

@Bertie Wooster (Bye last round, 10 tournament points, 257 game points, 117 remaining fleet points) vs @MandalorianMoose (7 points last round, 12 tournament points, 190 game points, 366 fleet points remaining)

@OutboundFlight (6 points last round, 15 tournament points, 397 game points, 300 remaining fleet points) vs @The Jabbawookie (6 points last round, 13 tournament points, 231 game points, 360 remaining fleet points)

@Dupy (5 points last round, 15 tournament points, 488 game points, 255 remaining fleet points) vs @TigerKommandant (5 points last round, 11 tournament points, 268 game points, 228 remaining fleet points)

@mhd (4 points last round, 8 tournament points, 74 game points, 333 remaining fleet points) gets a bye

Please try to have the games done by Sunday 4/26, and keep exploding!

Edited by Cael