Sign in to follow this  
Cael

Demolition Tournament

Hey everyone,

I had an idea I wanted to gauge interest for. It’s a vassal tournament with permadeath. After each match, any ships or squadrons that died are gone and can’t be used in subsequent rounds. Competitors are ranked based on MoV to determine matchups for each round, and eliminated when they’re out of non-flotilla ships. Last fleet standing wins. Should make for some interesting choices in objectives and fleet construction. If we can get 8 or more interested I’ll make it happen. Who’s in?

Could do a scarred thing for large/huge ships. If you’re reduced to 50% or less hull in a game you get the Scarred condition and start subsequent games at 50% hull 

Posted (edited)

I think high risk/high reward seems fair for anyone who chooses to bring an SSD or Hawk.

Otherwise it cripples the consequences of bringing a points fortress (the benefits are numerous in a meta that favors them to begin with.)

And I'm interested.

Edited by The Jabbawookie

Perhaps make it such that you have 600pts of ships, and you have to make a list of 400pts (max) to bring to each game.  That way it represents that you have more ships in the sector that you can rebalance as the war effort goes on.  Just a thought... And you can take it a step further that if you bring the same ship into combat in back to back games, it keeps its damage, but if you give it a game off, then it can repair.

On 3/31/2020 at 12:25 AM, PT106 said:

I'll be worried about advanatage provided to StarHawk and SSD fleets

Easy fix. Each not destroyed ship is allowed to repair up to 4 or 5 hull after each match.
Shield are fully recharged, but the hull is not. And if you want to go even further, you can even reduce the shields that are restored (lets say somewhere between 9 - 12?)

This way large ships might become a problem after a few rounds.

meet In the middle. Have 600 points with you and play with 400. Not cycling out, only replacing damaged goods. That’s prevents a completely useless fleet on game 2.

Let shields regen, allow some small hull repair between rounds. Like your ships can repair 3 facedown cards or flip the crits face down and keep all the damage. 

Okay, we’re ready to start! Here are the rules:

1. Players build a fleet using normal rules (including objectives).

2. After a battle any ship or squadron that was destroyed is removed from its player’s fleet list.

3. If a ship survives, all face down damage cards are removed, and all shields are restored. Face up damage cards remain with the ship and apply their effects in all subsequent battles until they are repaired. Surviving squadrons return to full hull points.

4. At the end of a game, if a large or huge ship has a number of damage cards equal to or greater than half its hull value (round up) it acquires the Scarred condition. A ship with the Scarred condition begins each game with a number of damage cards equal to half its hull value (round up), in addition to any face up damage cards that carried over. If this would destroy the ship it cannot be deployed and it is removed from the player’s fleet list.

5. Any upgrade card that is discarded for any reason is permanently lost and removed from the player’s fleet list.

6. If a fleet has no remaining non-flotilla ships or if a player scores 0 points in a game, that player is eliminated.

7. Matchups will be determined by MoV in the preceding round (and randomly for the first round).

8. If there’s a round with an odd number of players, the player in last place gets a bye

9. Last fleet standing wins!

Let’s try that as a starting point. If something doesn’t work we can iterate. I’m happy to try this format out a couple times to get it right, force preservation is a neat twist on Armada.

@GhostofNobodyInParticular

@The Jabbawookie

@mhd

go ahead and send me your fleets and once I have them all I’ll post them with matchups and we can get started!

8 hours ago, Cael said:

Okay, we’re ready to start! Here are the rules:

1. Players build a fleet using normal rules (including objectives).

2. After a battle any ship or squadron that was destroyed is removed from its player’s fleet list.

3. If a ship survives, all face down damage cards are removed, and all shields are restored. Face up damage cards remain with the ship and apply their effects in all subsequent battles until they are repaired. Surviving squadrons return to full hull points.

4. At the end of a game, if a large or huge ship has a number of damage cards equal to or greater than half its hull value (round up) it acquires the Scarred condition. A ship with the Scarred condition begins each game with a number of damage cards equal to half its hull value (round up), in addition to any face up damage cards that carried over. If this would destroy the ship it cannot be deployed and it is removed from the player’s fleet list.

5. Any upgrade card that is discarded for any reason is permanently lost and removed from the player’s fleet list.

6. If a fleet has no remaining non-flotilla ships or if a player scores 0 points in a game, that player is eliminated.

7. Matchups will be determined by MoV in the preceding round (and randomly for the first round).

8. If there’s a round with an odd number of players, the player in last place gets a bye

9. Last fleet standing wins!

Let’s try that as a starting point. If something doesn’t work we can iterate. I’m happy to try this format out a couple times to get it right, force preservation is a neat twist on Armada.

@GhostofNobodyInParticular

@The Jabbawookie

@mhd

go ahead and send me your fleets and once I have them all I’ll post them with matchups and we can get started!

I really love rule 6!

Posted (edited)

Once you discard it, it's gone!

You'd probably want to save a token for the fleet command rather than discarding the card.

Edited by mhd

2 hours ago, Bertie Wooster said:

So let's say in game one you discard AFFM and replace it with IF! You do not discard IF! in game one. Does your Chimaera have IF! equipped at the beginning of next game?

Yeah, you’re carrying your fleet over so you’d start with whatever fleet command was equipped when the game ended. If you discard it for the effect rather than pay the token it’s gone