Sign in to follow this  
Soakman

Righteous Bullets (and other surprising card choices)

Hey friends,

I just realized that Mateo can take Custom Ammo but has no access to weapons that use ammo. Interestingly, the card actually provide an out for this as it can be used on an asset with ammo any investigator controls at your location.

So, just curious, has anyone made any neat Mateo Decks that pair with guardian where you just bless their guns for them in a supporting role? I don't know if I needed to start a topic for this, but as we're all isolating, I thought it might be fun to hear if anyone has had success with this.

As a branching point, what other unexpected interactions have you tried that you ended up really liking? (I recently got to try a survivor/mystic combo that was able to use Scroll of Prophecies to ditch fortuitous discoveries and winging its while gaining other cards. That was surprisingly effective.)

Edited by Soakman

While it's a nice idea to take Custom Ammunition on Father Mateo, especially with the idea of playing him in a support role, it's simply far better off being played by the Guardian player themselves, both because they don't need to be at the same location as Mateo and above all because it works so well with Stick to the Plan, to the extent that I wouldn't use it without Stick to the Plan. So it's only really worth even considering for like...if you're running alongside a firearm-using primary fighter who can't take Custom Ammunition at all, like a .45 Automatic-using William Yorick, or maybe a .45 Thompson-using Tony Morgan or something. 

A particularly awesome little combo was Luke Robinson setting up a big horde of enemies (in Guardians of the Abyss part 2) then escaping into the gate box ready for a Mk 1 Grenades/Dynamite Blast combo from Zoey. I loved playing 2-player as Luke Robinson alongside Mandy Thompson, who would give me a turn 1 double No Stone Unturned to find both my Hawk-Eye Folding Cameras...

Mateo/Leo was our first trip through TFA. Leo would use, for example, Double or Nothing + Shotgun to apply the beatdown and Mateo would feed him Elder Signs. Mateo had access to a clue-ing suite with Mystics, Leo funded Keen Eye with Rogue events. Seemed like a winning team.

We didn't know how dumb that strategy was at the time, for TFA, even if it would be very effective in general. When a certain recurring character showed up in scenario 2, we literally killed it in 2 rounds. We got to scenario 7 with 26 Fury. That went very badly. Very, very badly.