Jump to content

Recommended Posts

In line with the possible decision to make what would previously be consider large ships medium and medium ships small (etc), I wonder if this was partially done to easier fit ships like the lucrehulk (which did appear on what looks like box art on the stream) into the game more smoothly as opposed to going to SSD route for that class, as the SSD was a nightmare from a design perspective for FFG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Grumbleduke said:

That's the same as current Commanders. For whatever reason they all only have the faction icon in the bottom right, not the upgrade card type in the bottom left.

But also, yay for card previews!

I don't believe these are the final cards. I suspect these are mock-ups -- probably hastily produced as a result of the negative backlash to yesterday's livestream disappointment.

There are indicators that these aren't finalized cards, like the text formatting and alignment, particularly on the Obi-wan Kenobi card. There are 35 characters on the top line of Kenobi's card whereas normally upgrade cards have 20-25 characters. The only exceptions are when a card has A LOT of words and they have to shrink the font size to fit all the text onto the card. But there's plenty of space on Kenobi's text description, it doesn't make sense it's crammed at the top. Same with the top alignment. Usually the words are more centred on the card so it looks better and is easier to read.

Finally, Kenobi's ability seems too powerful for only 28 points, or the ability not exhausting the card. Kenobi's ability is similar to the Expert Shield Tech Officer card, which costs 5 points, but Kenobi is far superior because he reduces 1 damage and still allows Redirect to be used. The only limitation built into the card is it only works for readied Redirect tokens, so it's good for the first attack, but a ship will need additional Redirect tokens (or an ability to ready a defense token) to use it more than once per round. So it's a question of whether the Venator will have 2 Redirects, like an ISD. My prediction is that it won't.

Edited by Reavern
Corrected

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Battlefleet 01 Studios said:

In line with the possible decision to make what would previously be consider large ships medium and medium ships small (etc), I wonder if this was partially done to easier fit ships like the lucrehulk (which did appear on what looks like box art on the stream) into the game more smoothly as opposed to going to SSD route for that class, as the SSD was a nightmare from a design perspective for FFG.

I agree that the Lucrehulk is going to be a problem. I think the simplest solution is for it to come in multiple pieces that need to be assembled.

I don't mean completely assembled, like Legion miniatures. The Lukrehulk could come in 2 or 3 large pieces, like the engine section and core ship is one piece, and each ring-half is a separate piece. All you'd need to do is slot the rings into the engine section and the ship would be whole. This would allow the packaging to be smaller -- perhaps comparable to the Starhawk -- instead of the package containing a fully assembled Lucrehulk, which might require the box to be nearly the size of the SSD (except square).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Grathew said:

Anyone else wondering why they specify Clone Only on that weapon team?

My guess is that Clone-only upgrade cards require a Clone Commander, as opposed to a Jedi Commander or Admiral Wullf Yularen.

Another possibility is that a Clone Officer must be equipped to that ship.

Or perhaps there's a new "Crew" upgrade slot for Clone Wars ships, possibly for both factions. The Republic could have Clone crews and non-Clone crews. The Separatists would presumably have Droid crews and possibly living crews too.

I believe that this is intended to restrict many of the Clone Wars upgrade cards to the Galactic Republic and Separatists factions, so the new cards don't "break" classic Armada. If true, it's really smart of FFG to handle it this way.

Edited by Reavern

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Grathew said:

Anyone else wondering why they specify Clone Only on that weapon team?

It could be a way to faction lock an upgrade in an existing slot without making it unique similar to the 7th Fleet Star Destroyer title. There also may end up being non-clone Republic ships. 

Edited by codytx2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Formynder4 said:

Have you um..... looked at your current cards recently?

TBH I look at Armada Fleet Builder apps far more often than the actual cards. Those apps do have a "Commander" icon, even though the cards don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, codytx2 said:

It could be a way to faction lock an upgrade in an existing slot without making it unique similar to the 7th Fleet Star Destroyer title. There also may end up being non-clone Republic ships. 

All 4 of those cards have a faction symbol, so they're already faction-locked.

"Clone-only" must mean something new.

It doesn't make sense for a ship to be Clone or non-Clone. A ship's crew can be comprised of Clones, organics, droids, or even Ewoks; the ship itself is just a vessel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Reavern said:

All 4 of those cards have a faction symbol, so they're already faction-locked.

"Clone-only" must mean something new.

It doesn't make sense for a ship to be Clone or non-Clone. A ship's crew can be comprised of Clones, organics, droids, or even Ewoks; the ship itself is just a vessel.

My guess is that some ships like the Venator and Acclimator will be designated as "Clone Ships" where some other ships like the CR70 - Cruiser will not.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Reavern said:

I don't believe these are the final cards.

I mean, I'll bet you $100 USD that they are. Want to take me up on it?

Edited by Karneck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Reavern said:

Grow up, youngling.

Don't like getting called out?

In order for FFG to even have everything printed and ready for the end of a year release, to even question that these aren't "finalized" is bordering on some high level of certain product taking.

If so, let me know what it is, I want some.

Edit: ALSO as a final nail, FFG DOESN'T talk about or speculate about any prior version of any cards for ANY of their games. Period. So your theory of "not finalized" is looking MIGHTY slim on facts.

Edited by Karneck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheWampa said:

What have we learned from this? We need to whine louder!

How much whining do you think that it will take to get model pictures?

Thanks for the card previews FFG, now I am trying to figure out what Clone only means since the card is already faction locked for the Republic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Karneck said:

Don't like getting called out?

In order for FFG to even have everything printed and ready for the end of a year release, to even question that these aren't "finalized" is bordering on some high level of certain product taking.

If so, let me know what it is, I want some.

Edit: ALSO as a final nail, FFG DOESN'T talk about or speculate about any prior version of any cards for ANY of their games. Period. So your theory of "not finalized" is looking MIGHTY slim on facts.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmxdFYSA4p4PEC40wlkSR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Reavern said:

I don't believe these are the final cards. I suspect these are mock-ups -- probably hastily produced as a result of the negative backlash to yesterday's livestream disappointment.

That is a rather vicious and asinine way to interpret BrianFFG's sharing of upcoming upgrade cards.

Noone claimed that these cards were final. It only makes sense that cards that are a work-in-progress don't have the proper font size and alignment of the text. At least that doesn't make these cards "hastily produced" over night because of some negative backlash from the community as you imply. Perhaps this is how all cards during the development cycle look.

Also, there are quite a number of explanations for the lack of commander icons on Kraken's and Obi-Wan's cards. Perhaps Separatist/Droid Fleets don't necessarily need a commander. Perhaps Obi-Wan is not the commander, but a new concept of advisor. As opposed to a commander like Wulff Yularen, a few Jedi like Obi-Wan and Joda may have a fleet-wide effect just like a commander, but could take up any slot of any ship of the fleet. 28 points would be a steep cost for that, I guess, but who knows. The lack of a commander icon on the cards is at least no proof that these cards make no sense at all as you seem to imply.

Moreover, the notion that these cards are just "hastily produced" (i.e. shoddily thrown together) because of negative backlash from the community is kind of off. Apart from a few comments about the lack of new/old information, I rather had a feeling of the usual resignation from the community. Perhaps the development team who is working from home and try out new ways of communicating with each other during the Covid lockdown had the idea of trying out new ways of communicating with the community by sharing a work-in-progress. If so, I totally welcome it.

In short, I have the feeling you just pointed out the most negative way of looking at this sharing of upcoming cards... like a troll would do.

I really appreciate this preview of a handful of cards and would love to see more of these.

 

Edited by JadinED

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JadinED said:

That is a rather vicious and asinine way to interpret BrianFFG's sharing of upcoming upgrade cards.

Noone claimed that these cards were final. It only makes sense that cards that are a work-in-progress don't have the proper font size and alignment of the text. At least that doesn't make these cards "hastily produced" over night because of some negative feedback from the community as you imply. Perhaps this is how all cards during the development cycle look.

Also, there are quite a number of explanations for the lack of commander icons on Kraken's and Obi-Wan's cards. Perhaps Separatist/Droid Fleets don't necessarily need a commander. Perhaps Obi-Wan is not the commander, but a new concept of advisor. As opposed to a commander like Wulff Yularen, a few Jedi like Obi-Wans and Joda may have a fleet-wide effect just like a commander, but could take up any slot of any ship of the fleet. 28 points would be a steep cost for that, I guess, but who knows. The lack of a commander icon on the cards is at least no proof that these cards make no sense as you seem to imply.

Moreover, the notion that these cards are just "hastily produced" (i.e. shoddily thrown together) because of negative feedback from the community is kind of off. Apart from a few comments about the lack of new information, I rather had a feeling of usual resignation from the community. Perhaps the development team who is working from home and try out new ways of communicating with each other during the Covid lockdown had the idea of sharing a work-in-progress/communicating with the community also. If so, I totally welcome it.

In short, I have the feeling you just pointed out the most negative way to interpret this sharing of upcoming cards... like a troll would do.

I really appreciate this preview of a handful of cards and would live to see more of these.

After yesterday's livestream, countless people posted here their justified disappointment and frustration at FFG for lying to us about delivering actual Armada news.

Today, FFG revealed four Clone Wars Armada cards... on the Discord channel, as opposed to an official article on FFG's website. And you sheep are baaing in gratitude.

Ever heard of battered wife syndrome?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Reavern said:

There are indicators that these aren't finalized cards, like the text formatting and alignment, particularly on the Obi-wan Kenobi card. There are 35 characters on the top line of Kenobi's card whereas normally upgrade cards have 20-25 characters. The only exceptions are when a card has A LOT of words and they have to shrink the font size to fit all the text onto the card. But there's plenty of space on Kenobi's text description, it doesn't make sense it's crammed at the top. Same with the top alignment. Usually the words are more centred on the card so it looks better and is easier to read  

Another possibility is that these are set up for standard playing card (squadron) sized cards. FFG has been experimenting with having alt art for both ship and upgrade cards in this size.  I’ve got some large bomber command center cards and have seen small ship cards for the Neb and the Victory. Getting rid of three different card sizes and making everything the same size would make things simpler for printing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, JadinED said:

Also, there are quite a number of explanations for the lack of commander icons on Kraken's and Obi-Wan's cards.

Yes, but there's one really obvious one; Commander upgrades have never come with commander icons (on the text side).

None of them.

Go and have a look at some of the cards.

I don't know why they're not there. I was trying to speculate about that earlier, but we got a bit distracted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bkcammack said:

Another possibility is that these are set up for standard playing card (squadron) sized cards. FFG has been experimenting with having alt art for both ship and upgrade cards in this size.  I’ve got some large bomber command center cards and have seen small ship cards for the Neb and the Victory. Getting rid of three different card sizes and making everything the same size would make things simpler for printing. 

Yes, it's possible that Clone Wars Armada will have standard-size upgrade cards, like X-Wing Second Edition. However, look at this example of one of the XWSE standard-size cards:

x_wing_2nd_ed__antoc_merrick_by_odanan-d

Now compare the Clone Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi card:

SWM34-Obi-Wan_Upgrade.png.068db1ec3f016e

The X-Wing card is obviously a finalized card, made by a professional. It looks great!

Whereas the Obi-Wan card looks conspicuously amateurish. There's obviously something wrong the ability text's formatting and alignment.

Also, the points number looks wonky too. It's not centred; it's low and to the right. Same with the Clone Gunners card:

SWM34-Clone-Gunners_Upgrade.png.8e8893a8

Now compare it to an authentic Armada upgrade card:

latest?cb=20180104003913

The difference is really obvious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...