Sign in to follow this  
Hatemonger

Who gets a Delta 7B?

Posted (edited)

Having just finished painting a boatload of vulture droids, I find myself in need of a replacement task, and the obvious answer is... Jedi fighters. There are documented color schemes for all the X-wing pilots, but before I get into painting them, there's the matter of where the droid goes.

So, my question is this: which pilots should have a 7b, and which should have a "standard" model?

I'm interested in answers in terms of canon as well as game worthiness (i.e. who makes best use of the card).

Edited by Hatemonger

1 minute ago, ScummyRebel said:

7b astromech is dead center - https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Delta-7B_Aethersprite-class_light_interceptor

standard delta 7 was offset - https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Delta-7_Aethersprite-class_light_interceptor

Looking at my minis, they appear to be 7 style not 7b.

Thank you, but yes, I knew that. I intend to fix that. 😉

I have a few alternate models as well as FFG ones, and I'm not squeamish about moving the droid socket either way.

My point was to try an accurately depict which version a pilot is flying, either based on "historical" canon, or on the most likely tabletop configuration.

So, I'm looking for something like, "Saesin Tiin had a base model and only flew that through the end of the clone wars", or "Plo Kloon had a base model up until the battle of XYZ, and then got a new 7B".

Or alternately, "I always give Obi-Wan a 7B, but I feel the points are wasted on Ahsoka".

Just something as guidance in a frivolous project.

Basically all the paint schemes we know of should be 7Bs except Obi-Wan and Plo Koon, though both of them use a Delta-7B in Clone Wars, same as everyone else (presumably because they only wanted to make one model),.

Plo and Obi-Wan both use normal Delta-7s in the films, though (RotS and AotC respectively) so I'd probably choose to put them in the Delta-7s.

As @ScummyRebel mentioned, you can spot a 7B most easily by the centrally mounted astromech slot. 

Here's all the Delta-7Bs that appeared in Clone Wars:

Anakin's

latest?cb=20091003023555

Ahsoka's

latest?cb=20090228042447

Mace Windu's

(No astromech visible in this particular shot, but you can see the slot in the middle)

latest?cb=20120914033848

Saesee Tiin's

latest?cb=20110925031504

Barriss Offee's (only seen fairly briefly)

latest?cb=20111218011423

Adi Gallia's

latest?cb=20200314212103

Kit Fisto's

latest?cb=20090310041628

Obi-Wan's

latest?cb=20130925105120

Plo Koon's Blade of Dorin

latest?cb=20090304225829

I don't believe Luminara's shows up in the series, actually. But if you look at the card art, she's also running a Delta-7B.

swz34_luminara.png

So basically, all the current Delta-7 pilots flew a Delta-7B at least once. And Obi-Wan and Plo are the only ones confirmed to have flown the regular Delta-7 in canon.

Saesee Tiin did fly an orange Delta-7 in Legends, your call if you want to count that. 

In terms of who makes the best use out of the card, I think it's pretty flexible outside of Anakin, who really wants to hit as hard as possible at I6 and basically takes 7B all the time, despite the enormous cost.

Obi-Wan and Plo can both make good use of it, but both are fine without too. 

I'd say with the scaled pricing, at the moment it probably makes most sense on Ahsoka and Barriss. 

Luminara is so trash I don't think it matters either way on her. 

Mace is probably better with 7B too, but Saesee isn't fussed. 

1 hour ago, Hatemonger said:

as well as game worthiness (i.e. who makes best use of the card).

Overall, I'd consider 7B the default, and mostly would only go for CLT where pilots can make good use of it.  That means Init 5-6, mostly.

• Great with Either: Anakin, Obi-Wan
    • Sure, they'd rather have 7B, but either of them is still going to be pretty solid with CLT, if you need to save points.
    • CLT Anakin is almost wholesome, as far as Jedi go...
  • Best with CLT: Jedi Knights, Plo Koon
    • CLT Jedi Knights are just cheap and effective little ships, but they're too expensive with 7B.
    • Plo is high Init and with a more support ability.  To me, that screams "keep him cheap."  Maybe even run without config, but CLT seems cheap enough and worth it enough.  If I had 7B points for Plo, I'd bring Obi or Mace first.
  • Strongly Prefers 7B: Mace Windu, Ahsoka, Saesee, Luminara Unduli
    • Mace and Ahsoka are solid hitters and lower Init, so that screams 7B for punching power to me.
      • Toss Hightened Peception on Mace in the meanwhile.  Dude is a brawler, and being able to leapfrog up for Init kills in the right circumstances (second round of the fight, maybe) is pretty handy.
    • Nothing wrong with Saesee and Luminara, but I'm probably building a list with someone else.
      • I think I flew some Triple 7B Saesee/Lumi/Mace way back when, but I'd rather do something like 7B Obi, 7B Mace, CLT Plo.
    • That said, Luminara in particular is going to work fine without a config as a lighter support ship.  Folks used to run her as the 6th ship in Sinker Swarm, and she'd be fine there.
  • Fuggedaboutit: Barriss Offee
    • Probably just don't fly Barriss?  I'd rather match Init 3 if I'm massing JK, or find the points for a better Init 4, but she's probably not *that* bad.

I always found extemely odd that in the middle of a galactic war the Jedi would get personalised paint schemes for their assigned starships. It reeks os pride and show-off-ism, which don't go well with what Jedi stand for. 

Sorry for the rant.

On 3/29/2020 at 6:04 AM, LUZ_TAK said:

I always found extemely odd that in the middle of a galactic war the Jedi would get personalised paint schemes for their assigned starships. It reeks os pride and show-off-ism, which don't go well with what Jedi stand for. 

Sorry for the rant.

You're not the only one that found it a bit off.

On 3/27/2020 at 5:29 PM, theBitterFig said:

• Fuggedaboutit: Barriss Offee
    • Probably just don't fly Barriss?  I'd rather match Init 3 if I'm massing JK, or find the points for a better Init 4, but she's probably not *that* bad.

Quick aside.  I'm coming around on Barriss.  She's not a hidden gem but by no means is she total trash.  For one more point than a standard Jedi, two when comparing with either config, you get an initiative bump and her ability can give any nearby CLT aces effectively an extra force token or flip a hit to a crit.  I'm still experimenting but she either wants the full Delta-7B treatment for a consistent three dice attack or just naked as a super A-Wing. 

9 hours ago, Pa Weasley said:

Quick aside.  I'm coming around on Barriss.  She's not a hidden gem but by no means is she total trash.  For one more point than a standard Jedi, two when comparing with either config, you get an initiative bump and her ability can give any nearby CLT aces effectively an extra force token or flip a hit to a crit.  I'm still experimenting but she either wants the full Delta-7B treatment for a consistent three dice attack or just naked as a super A-Wing. 

That's fair.  I half-way started thinking something like that typing it up.  She does offer a decent amount over a JK for a low price.  That said, I'd probably still rather run 5 JK over 4 + Barriss, just because I enjoy Init matching.  If I only had 41 points as a filler, she'd do fine.

I also think she might have a niche role in Epic, with Dreadnaught Hunter and CLT.  Under 50 points with "3" attack dice and a means of creating her own crits without support.