Sign in to follow this  
Dandy06

Circle Undone question

hi all,
I recently jumped into Ah lcg, and after the first scenario I fell in love with it. I decided to buy Dream Eaters, because it looked the most appealing, however after finishing the core campaign, I think I might finish an older cycle fist, to earn a lot of new cards for deckbuilding (and of course to enjoy the campaign), and then start DE. Carcosa is not available in any of my local stores, and Forgotten Age doesn’t look like interesting to me. Many people suggest Dunwich as first expansion, altough after I checked all of them, Circle seems much more interesting. But after reading some comments on forums, most people disliked it for various reasons(punishing, repetitive etc.)

My question is, CU really is on the lower end of the rankings, and should buy Dunwich instead, or is it enjoyable?

My biggest dilemma is that on first glance I find the Dunwich cards maybe more useful(I play with one core set, and dont’t really want to buy a second one), but TCU more interesting storywise.

Thank you for your answers, and suggestions.

Edited by Dandy06

If Circle Undone is the one you're interested in, I say go for that. I enjoy TCU a lot, but it does have elements that are frustrating for newer players. Dunwich is a solid campaign, and for many it represents the first campaign ever played, but it hasn't aged super well and mechanically it's pretty boring. It's much friendlier as a starter campaign as a result. 

Both campaigns have their pros and cons, so if one looks like more fun to you, go with that one. You can't really make a bad choice here.

Circle is a fine campaign IMO.  The only one that isn't really new player friend is TCU.  If you wanna jump to Circle first I say go for it.  Dunwich is very new player friendly, but some of the packs might be out of print right now just like Carcosa.  It should see a reprint considering how popular both those cycles have been in the past, but expect a wait for that considering the state of things in the world.

Edited by phillos

TCU is fine, BUT there are some scenarios that are extremely fiddly with a lot of things to keep track of. It kind of depends on how much that bothers you. It is also, imo, one of the harder cycles and it can be very punishing for investigators with low willpower. So keep that in mind.