Skitch_

Aces Packs Redux: Refreshed and Revisited for 2.0

2 hours ago, svelok said:

but it's super clear that when people say "give us Hera in an RZ1!" they're asking for not just an i5, with stupid amounts of dial-changing, but also they're very specifically asking to receive a ship that's a flat power-level-upgrade over the current options

The A-Wing is a very, very specific case though.

In general, I agree, but the A-Wing used to have this identity (in Legends, at least) as the Rebels' fast interceptor. It was speedy, it was agile and it was the domain of the Alliance's best pilots, those with the best reflexes and awareness. 

It had aces like Tycho Celchu - who thinks the X-Wing is slow - flying it, and this identity translated to video games. All of this means the A-Wing has a very established feel in the minds of most of the people playing X-Wing, even if the Disney era hasn't emphasised its speed and interceptor role quite as much. 

This extended to first edition, where you had Tycho at PS8 ignoring stress, and so getting PTL stapled to him. You had Jake who, with VI and PTL, came out to PS9, could double reposition in any order and take a focus - which basically made him Rebel Soontir, if only he could have taken both Autothrusters and Stealth Device. 

People expect the A-Wing to be an arc dodgy ace ship.

For a lot of people, the A-Wing has thus far been incredibly lacklustre in 2e. I know that Jake has featured in some very competitive lists in a support role, but it's not the same. People want the A-Wing to have at least one high Initative, arc dodgy pilot because that's the identity people still associate with the ship.

It definitely doesn't help when you look across at Resistance and see how their A-Wing is better in every single way and fits the identity of the ship in the lore way better. If the RZ-1 could have just had any one of L'ulo, Zizi or Tallie's abilities, I think people would be less demanding for Hera.

And yes, in many ways an I5 or I6 A-Wing pilot would be straight up power creep on the current 4. But that's also in part because most of the A-Wing pilots suck

That said, I don't want Hera in an A-Wing either. You're right that her ability + I5 + Vectored Thrusters just elevates her way too much above the A-Wing pilots. 

I think with the right ability, an I5 pilot wouldn't stop people from running Jake as a support piece. And it would help people feel like they've got the A-Wing they know and love back.

22 minutes ago, Tvboy said:

This tells me that card packs are dead and FFG didn't make enough money off of them. Gotta shove some recycled plastic in there to drive up prices while barely increasing the cost. 

I don't know if it means that the card packs are dead, but more that they realized that the existing players had no reason to rebuy plastic after they got a conversion kit, and too much of the reprints were sitting on the shelves. The new pilots sold like hotcakes to existing players, so they realized the best business model is that they can combine new pilots with reprinted plastic to get them to move for the existing player base at a much higher price point than just a pack of pilot cards. 

Jokes aside, I have a litany for the legacy factions. Some have been covered by others. But I will put mine in bullet format!

• Rebels
    • Tycho A-Wing
    • Gemmar Sojan A-Wing
    • Wedge A-Wing
    • Neera B-Wing (give her a turret arc for those torpedoes)
    • Ibtisam B-Wing (give him Ten Numb's old ability)
    • Luke E-Wing
  • Imperials
    • Maarek Steele Gunboat
    • Carnor Jax Interceptor
    • 2nd Sister Interceptor
    • Fel's Wrath Interceptor
    • Lieutenant Lorrir Interceptor
    • Kir Kanos Interceptor (although you can break the Legends EU by making reaaaaaaally good and put him in a TIE Defender)
    • Vult Skerris TIE Defender
    • Maarek Steele TIE Defender
    • Backstabber TIE Fighter
    • Yorr Shuttle
    • Soontir TIE Agressor (why not, it's Legends EU)
  • Scums
    • The brilliantly aforementioned Young Teroch
    • Thweek Starviper (make his ability something harmless, like being able to take a stress and flipping 180* whenever taking damage)

1 hour ago, Tvboy said:

This tells me that card packs are dead and FFG didn't make enough money off of them. Gotta shove some recycled plastic in there to drive up prices while barely increasing the cost. 

I find that unlikely when the actual pilot card pack is sold out everywhere.

I find it more likely that these will supplement the card packs as a way to get people to buy reprinted ships which hasn’t worked out as well as they wanted even with point slashing the t65. I’m betting that card packs will still be the primary avenue to feed generic upgrades to the older factions. 

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure if I want more models that aren't new ships at this point, but I will buy every card pack that includes pilots until this game is dead. I love the concept, and I think it was a great idea that evolved out of moving away from 1e.

Edited by irdonny

I'll buy new ships in different colors because this scratches my micro machine itch I grew as a kid. I'd especially love green Squadron A-Wings. Though I suspect we will get Hera's alt color scheme when it happens.

Either way more pilots keep things interesting. Hope we see Hera and Ahsoka pilots. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

Can anyone give me an example of where a different version of an existing pilot within the same faction would make sense and would be good for the game? Genuine question. 

Thought I'd jump in on this - 

Boba Fett - Son of Jango (Clone-Wars cartoon era)

I2 Firespray

No Talent slot, but a built-in Snap Shot pilot ability to reflect his youth/impetuousness.  That would also give us Aurra Sing crew, Asajj Ventress crew, Dengar crew, since they were all active in a loose syndicate around that time, and would FINALLY put Hondo into the game.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see the Scum "Aces-style" pack look like this!  You could also add Jango as a pilot, along with a title that plays with Bombs that doesn't quite work the same as Andrasta.  For example, a title that allows you to drop a Bomb during the Engagement phase, rather than a title that adds a Bomb slot and the Reload action.

Edited by feltipern1

9 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

Can anyone give me an example of where a different version of an existing pilot within the same faction would make sense and would be good for the game? Genuine question

Certainly, I can give you one good one and one mediocre one. 

Soontir Fel in a TIE Fighter at I5. We have so many TIE pilots, but only one or two true aces. Soontir historically flew a TIE for a significant amount of time before switching to an Interceptor. At I5 with a different ability, he would be fun and more importantly, killable, as well as appealing. As a 40 point pocket ace with a less powerful ability then current Soontir, I think he’d be a blast. 

Kylo Ren in whatever his TIE Whisper was, I5.  Again, same as Soontir - a more affordable way to fly Kylo. Maybe a bit redundant with the similarity of the ships. 

Also, a dark side Anakin for the Republic would be really cool, even though it was a really small window of time. 

Moment of thanks.

I'm just so dang happy that the product so far sounds so much like what A TON of the community have been asking for. Specific squadron theme focus, alternate paints, revisited pilots. Perfect. Especially the specific squad focus

Thanks again @ffg for listening.

Some of these have been mentioned already.

-Thrawn as a Crew Card:  Something involving having knowledge you usually wouldn't.  Seeing all the enemy dials maybe once a game, or something.

-Darth Vader in a TIE Defender.  Expensive, yes.  Worth it, ABSOLUTELY!

-Tycho back in action in the A-wing.

-Hera in an X-Wing, A-wing, and B-wing.  Maybe not the same pilot abilities in all of them.

-B-wing ship killer cannon card.

-Thweek back in action in the Starviper.

-Jango Fett, period.

-Yoda, period.

8 minutes ago, Youngblood1969 said:

Darth Vader in a TIE Defender.  Expensive, yes.  Worth it, ABSOLUTELY!

Hmm... I think that this would be too powerful, and therefore too expensive, to actually use outside of Epic. The regular I4 and I5 defenders without force are already having trouble being played regularly because of the cost.  

But I agree with the rest of your requests!

On 3/27/2020 at 1:08 PM, irdonny said:

I'm not sure if I want more models that aren't new ships at this point, but I will buy every card pack that includes pilots until this game is dead. I love the concept, and I think it was a great idea that evolved out of moving away from 1e.

Card packs are excellent and I hope they continue with them.

But I also like the option of more ships with differing colors as opposed to buying more of the same and being left to repaint only for variety.

Also, while I probably wouldn’t buy a conversion kit 1.0 rerelease with no new content, I’d be more likely to make that purchase if it was a new-to-2.0 reprinting of a 1.0 ship with new paint and some new pilots. I got suckered into buying the z95 for the paint. I’m seriously tempted to buy the new rz1 for the same reason.

On 3/27/2020 at 4:20 PM, Cyptor said:

Soontir Fel in a TIE Fighter at I5. We have so many TIE pilots, but only one or two true aces. Soontir historically flew a TIE for a significant amount of time before switching to an Interceptor. At I5 with a different ability, he would be fun and more importantly, killable, as well as appealing. As a 40 point pocket ace with a less powerful ability then current Soontir, I think he’d be a blast.

This sounds amazing - sign me up for a pocket ace that doesn’t rely on the Howlrunner box formation please.

1 hour ago, ScummyRebel said:

Also, while I probably wouldn’t buy a conversion kit 1.0 rerelease with no new content, I’d be more likely to make that purchase if it was a new-to-2.0 reprinting of a 1.0 ship with new paint and some new pilots.

I completely agree on this. I definitely bought aces packs in 1.0 and it helped fill out both my total number of ships, but also provided variety ship colors. 

It would really bum me out if they went back to only in pack cards with the models. I'll pay for the cards. 

That's not to say I wouldn't but a new aces pack, FFG just need to convince me it's cool enough lol

Rebels: I do want to see Hera in a B-Wing; even with the same pilot ability; it fits the stress shenanigans of the pilots quite well. I would love to see an I5 or even I6 on an RZ-1 A-Wing; it is the perfect Ace platform for the Rebelion and is severely lacking in pilots. The rogue Inferno Squadron pilots for T-65s; been waiting for them since watching the story of the Battlefront game. Also... Ahsoka Tano as a pilot; pweatty pwease.

Imperials: Second Sister in a Tie Interceptor would be nice; I assume an I4 to fit with the other Inquisitors, but an Interceptor with Force would be a Force to be reckoned with. **badum tss** 

Republic: More pilots for the Clones tbh; "Odd Ball" is in like three different ships; just more variety for the Clones. Also... I don't really see how they would add alternative Aethersprite schemes, unless they added the Jedi pilots with alternative abilities; I guess older Ahsoka, Kit Fisto maybe? 

On a side note... I do hope for more Dark Side Force upgrades.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Schanez said:

On a side note... I do hope for more Dark Side Force upgrades.

Absolutely! It would be really cool if FFG could start differentiating between the light and dark sides of the force more. 

Edited by Cyptor