NoobMaster70

Separatist???

So I am considering investing into the Separatist faction, and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what to buy first. (I currently have nothing in the faction) Also, what list are good in Separatist? Thanks!

Vulture swarms is the best thing actually.

2 servants of strife core sets to have 2 belbullabs and 4 vultures is a giis start, I would suggest you to buy 3 more vultures to get 7 of them.

If you want the crews, buy the infiltrator. If you want TA-175, buy a hyena.

Nantex are cool, but they cost A LOT in terms of points.

3x Vulture Droid, 2x Servants of Strife, 1x Hyena ($160)

That would let you run:
7x Trade Federation Drones w/ Grappling Struts and 2x Discord Missiles; DBS-32C w/ Struts and Kraken

Which is a nice, hyperspace legal list that's effective, has some of the faction's fun toys, but isn't overly complex or with a bunch of complicated mixed ships with distinct loadouts to track - just keep an eye on who has discord missiles. 

Ok, thanks for the suggestions. Just curious, why isn't the hyena more popular? To me, they seem like a tankier version of the vultures. I was personally thinking of something like this, just in my own time.

DBS-404 (30)    
    Adv. Proton Torpedoes (6)    
    Landing Struts (1)    

Ship total: 37  Half Points: 19  Threshold: 3    

Techno Union Bomber (25)    
    Landing Struts (1)    

Ship total: 26  Half Points: 13  Threshold: 3    

Techno Union Bomber (25)    
    Landing Struts (1)    

Ship total: 26  Half Points: 13  Threshold: 3    

Trade Federation Drone (19)    
    Discord Missiles (4)    
    Grappling Struts (1)    

Ship total: 24  Half Points: 12  Threshold: 2    

Discord Missiles (4)    
    Grappling Struts (1)    

Ship total: 24  Half Points: 12  Threshold: 2    

Grappling Struts (1)    

Ship total: 20  Half Points: 10  Threshold: 2    

Grappling Struts (1)    

Grappling Struts (1)    

Total: 197    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Separatist Alliance&d=v8ZhZ200Z326X134WWWW237Y324XWWWW237Y324XWWWW237Y279X224W208WY279X224W208WY279XW208WY279XW208WY279XW208W&sn=IDEAL&obs=

Thanks for your time!

Hyenas are tankiers, but they offer the same firepower for more points, they are less maneuvrable, and the BROLL link to CALC for the vultures is completely bettert than the BROLL link to target lock for the hyenas. The networked calculations is far more efficient with the vultures.

And personnally, I have played with 1-2 hyenas with a few vultures up front, and when the swarm of vultures is dead, hyenas don't have the maneuvrability fo the vultures to follow enemies.

I am playing 4x Hyena (proton bombs, energy charge, legs) + generic B22. I admit I bought third and fourth Hyenas only because a crazy offer, but it is fun.

The most cost efficient way is 2x servants of strife, 2-3 vulture blisters, and a hyena or two. Don’t really need the Nantex outside of a few builds. The infiltrator looks cool but also isn’t super required (I have a fun jank build with O66 infiltrator pilot and a swarm)

I will add, having played against DBS-404, he isn't quite top tier, but he is a terrifying nightmare that will often draw fire early, and a 6-die APT with auto-crits is nothing to sneeze at and will absolutely delete some small ships with decent rolls.

4 hours ago, Npmartian said:

I will add, having played against DBS-404, he isn't quite top tier, but he is a terrifying nightmare that will often draw fire early, and a 6-die APT with auto-crits is nothing to sneeze at and will absolutely delete some small ships with decent rolls.

I love 404 with APT and afterburners. 

On 3/26/2020 at 10:07 AM, NoobMaster70 said:

So I am considering investing into the Separatist faction, and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what to buy first. (I currently have nothing in the faction) Also, what list are good in Separatist? Thanks!

You can do a lot of damage with mostly Vultures + a couple friends. The SoS packs are great, though you’ll probably want at least one standalone Vulture pack to get Discord Missiles. You might want 1 or 2 Hyenas so you can run 404 and/or heavier ordnance. The Nantex feels like a really love-it-or-hate-it ship; I do enjoy trying to make it work, but I’m glad I got one for Christmas, if ya know what I mean.

The Infiltrator is an interesting beast. I tend to like large bases in general, so I’m inclined to like it too—but it feels like a ship that you kind of have to build around, which is awkward for a faction that wants to run numbers. I feel like I’ve done better running two than one, but I don’t know if it’s actually “better” than just spamming more Vultures. (Incidentally, I have extras of the DRK droids & other uniques from the Infiltrator that I’d gladly get out of my house to a good home, though I may have to wait until the shelter-in-place situation ends to ship it out.)