Sign in to follow this  
freakyg3

How long is a game of X-wing?

Yet, a battle between the falcon and 4 tie fighters is several minutes long. Which leads back again to

On 3/25/2020 at 7:38 PM, Forgottenlore said:

Most likely, the duration of a "round" in the game is variable depending on what is going on at the time. When everyone is in a close-knit furball, it's super short, after that, when everyone is circling around for another pass, it's longer. In fact, the same round is probably different lengths for different ships depending on what they are doing, with the assumption that it all evens out over a few rounds.

Games are abstractions, not simulations.

16 hours ago, Azrapse said:

This is from the production of ROTJ:

Ilmmglt.jpg

In the X-wing sims, it was almost the same (Y-wing was 80 MGLT, B-wing was 91 MGLT, the rest was basically identical). And they mapped MGLT to meters per second.

Yeah... I think they did that for gameplay purposes (many games warp speed/scale) but that speed makes very little sense when you actually watch the source material. This is a pretty good thread on the actual calculations of Star Wars sub light speed using the Targeting Computers in the trench run: 

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/225744/how-fast-were-the-x-wing-fighters-flying-in-the-trench-during-the-battle-of-yavi

Still not really fast, 2400m/s is only about 5,400mph but its at least a more reasonable speed than 100m/s. 

55 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

Yeah... I think they did that for gameplay purposes (many games warp speed/scale) but that speed makes very little sense when you actually watch the source material. This is a pretty good thread on the actual calculations of Star Wars sub light speed using the Targeting Computers in the trench run: 

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/225744/how-fast-were-the-x-wing-fighters-flying-in-the-trench-during-the-battle-of-yavi

Still not really fast, 2400m/s is only about 5,400mph but its at least a more reasonable speed than 100m/s. 

In the games, your ship also sped up at about 300 m/s or so during the trench run. So the trench run isn't really the best moment in the movies to calculate this.

If you take the dogfight between the TIE Fighters and the Falcon in Ep4, and you account for the speed that the TIE fighters seem to be moving around the Falcon (even at opposite directions), there is absolutely no chance those things are moving at 2400 m/s. If that was so, the TIEs would be a blur.

Star Wars fighters are inspired on WWII fighters and the pace of air combat is similar. The Supermarine Spitfire top speed was 369 mph, that is 165 m/s. That's not too far from the speed of the A-wing in the ROTJ production chart or the sims (the top speed of the A-wing was 180 m/s).

If we look at the Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, it's top speed was 287 mph, that is 128 m/s. Compare it with its Star Wars equivalent, the Y-wing, that the sims gave a top speed of 100 m/s (or 125 m/s if we would have taken the speed in ROTJ production chart as base, instead of the sim's 80 m/s base speed for the Y-wing).

The fastest aircraft to see any combat in WWII was the Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet, a rocket powered craft which set an airspeed record of 702 mph in 1944 (that is 314 m/s). It was a secret weapon that, if we need to compare it with anything Star Wars, would be the Missile Boat (OS-1 Alpha-class Star Wing) when SLAMming, that in the sims doubled it's normal top speed of 183 m/s to reach about 366 m/s. (Yeah, with some tricks, like redirecting the power from the tractor beam projector to the engines you could reach up to 426 m/s, but that was almost like cheating...)

So, all in all, the numbers from the sims seem to be in line with the production charts, and the real life craft that inspired the starfighters in the movies and games. So I still consider my estimation correct.

23 hours ago, Azrapse said:

In the games, your ship also sped up at about 300 m/s or so during the trench run. So the trench run isn't really the best moment in the movies to calculate this.

If you take the dogfight between the TIE Fighters and the Falcon in Ep4, and you account for the speed that the TIE fighters seem to be moving around the Falcon (even at opposite directions), there is absolutely no chance those things are moving at 2400 m/s. If that was so, the TIEs would be a blur.

Star Wars fighters are inspired on WWII fighters and the pace of air combat is similar. The Supermarine Spitfire top speed was 369 mph, that is 165 m/s. That's not too far from the speed of the A-wing in the ROTJ production chart or the sims (the top speed of the A-wing was 180 m/s).

If we look at the Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, it's top speed was 287 mph, that is 128 m/s. Compare it with its Star Wars equivalent, the Y-wing, that the sims gave a top speed of 100 m/s (or 125 m/s if we would have taken the speed in ROTJ production chart as base, instead of the sim's 80 m/s base speed for the Y-wing).

The fastest aircraft to see any combat in WWII was the Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet, a rocket powered craft which set an airspeed record of 702 mph in 1944 (that is 314 m/s). It was a secret weapon that, if we need to compare it with anything Star Wars, would be the Missile Boat (OS-1 Alpha-class Star Wing) when SLAMming, that in the sims doubled it's normal top speed of 183 m/s to reach about 366 m/s. (Yeah, with some tricks, like redirecting the power from the tractor beam projector to the engines you could reach up to 426 m/s, but that was almost like cheating...)

So, all in all, the numbers from the sims seem to be in line with the production charts, and the real life craft that inspired the starfighters in the movies and games. So I still consider my estimation correct.

I'll bite one more time... Yeah I understand that Lucas modeled the dog fighting scenes after WW2. That's pretty common knowledge at this point and the one scene you pointed out yes, the ships look like they are going pretty slow. However, there are dozens of other scenes where ships are going much more rapidly. 

Take the approach to the Death Star in a ANH. Lets say for the sake of it, Yavin IV is half the distance to to Yavin that our Moon is to Earth. So the X-wings and Y-wings have to cover 192,000 KM just to get to Yavin. At a speed of 100m/s  that journey would take roughly 22 days. They have to travel not only to Yavin, but around it to get to the DS, so even longer. Obviously they move at the speed of plot, but the thought of them moving at even modern jet speeds just doesn't make any sense. 

Also, this video is pretty cool. The PT scenes are soooooooooo much better without dialog.  

We are talking about dogfight speed, not cruise speed. Obviously, ships use clearly different speed scales when they dogfight and when they travel, otherwise, the Falcon would have taken months, years, or millennia to reach from Hoth to Bespin without hyperdrive.