Sign in to follow this  
ColtsFan77

Your Investigation Begins

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Hyperjayman said:

A someone getting into this game that would be great. For all people who already bought a second core set ūüė¨,¬†i¬†feel bad for ya, but it is what it is.

I mean I have 4 core sets at this point so don't feel too bad for me.  I use about 80% of those redundant core sets and it's pretty easy to find them cheap second hand.  I probably spent 20-25 bucks on the third and fourth core set and these decks will be probably what 15 bucks so it's not that big a deal from a cost versus benefit for me compared to any other purchase.  These decks are mostly new cards so I wouldn't count on them to fill too many gaps in a single core set collection.

Edited by phillos

9 hours ago, SGPrometheus said:

I feel like they specifically did that so that new players would associate the card with the character, but as Faranim mentioned it creates a super interesting interaction with cards that look for class cards.

I figured it out: it's because these investigators are mono-colored. Their identity is so tied up in their class that their signatures are also that class.

Mystery solved.

Huh. That's interesting but how many of these are there right now? I mean Stella could use resourceful to pull a copy of her signature then, but she DOES get 3 copies (whatever it does).

1 hour ago, Soakman said:

Huh. That's interesting but how many of these are there right now?

Not a lot, it's true. But, I did recently start a Dream Eaters campaign as Tommy and was bummed that I couldn't find Becky via the Guardian dream.

Huh. That's interesting but how many of these are there right now? I mean Stella could use resourceful to pull a copy of her signature then, but she DOES get 3 copies (whatever it does).

So the card effects that care about the class of a card (leaving aside Lola, naturally) are:

Daredevil: Finds a Rogue skill to commit to the test.

Eldritch Inspiration: Either ignores or doubles an effect triggered due to a symbol token, but only on Mystic cards.

On Your Own: Reduces the cost of one Survivor event each round.

Resourceful: Returns one Survivor card to your hand from discard.

Sacrifice: Discards a Mystic asset from play for resources/card draw.

Unearth the Ancients: Make an Investigate test to put a Seeker asset into play for free.

So we've already discussed Daredevil to find Winnifred Habbamock's signature skill, but you could also use On Your Own to reduce the cost of Neither Rain Nor Snow, assuming it's an event and also a survivor card, and Resourceful to return it to hand. Eldritch Inspiration doesn't directly interact with Arbiter of Fates, but I guess you can Sacrifice it (not that you want to). I believe that Harvey's Vault of Knowledge is an asset (can't check because the FFG site is down), so I guess you could Unearth the Ancients for it.

12 minutes ago, Allonym said:

I believe that Harvey's Vault of Knowledge is an asset (can't check because the FFG site is down), so I guess you could Unearth the Ancients for it.

You are correct.  It is, indeed, an asset.

9 hours ago, phillos said:

I mean I have 4 core sets at this point so don't feel too bad for me.

I think I've got like 8 now?  I like to keep each campaign collected in its own box, including the Returns, which has meant lots of extras for the encounter sets.  It does mean a fair number of extra cards but when things like Dream-Eaters rolls around and I'm supporting 8 decks at once it comes in handy.

As the poster who requested an Asian male investigator, you can't tell how much this means to me. Just feels so awesome to feel "represented" avatar wise in this universe. (Politics aside, being Asian in the US given the situation is not easy). Will def be buying this one! (though I buy everything Arkham already ...) Jacqueline looks amazing, can't wait to try her out! 

On 3/25/2020 at 6:08 PM, Kitsuki_School said:

As the poster who requested an Asian male investigator, you can't tell how much this means to me. Just feels so awesome to feel "represented" avatar wise in this universe. (Politics aside, being Asian in the US given the situation is not easy). Will def be buying this one! (though I buy everything Arkham already ...) Jacqueline looks amazing, can't wait to try her out! 

Which is how something like that is suppose to be done. New character, well written background, placed in a way that isn’t ridiculous for the setting.

As long as FFG don’t cave to idiots who want a black openly lesbian CEO despite it being something that wouldn’t happen in 1920’s America.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Hyperjayman said:

Which is how something like that is suppose to be done. New character, well written background, placed in a way that isn’t ridiculous for the setting.

As long as FFG don’t cave to idiots who want a black openly lesbian CEO despite it being something that wouldn’t happen in 1920’s America.

I sort of disagree with this sentiment, but representation is great and Nathanial Cho looks very fun. I would have no problem with a black openly lesbian heiress, mob queen, business owner etc. (Actually, I'm pretty sure there is an heiress who is at least black in the Carolyn Fern book). Because representation is not bound by a fictional universe. I do not want modern tech creeping in or timeslips regarding weapons/items/etc but FFG has been really good about this.

While I love that there is another Asian character (male specifically) I cannot get past the part where they both (Lily and Nathanial) know martial arts, albeit boxing is less of a stereotype. I still can't wait to play as him.

I'm not Asian though, so I don't intend to speak for that community. I'm happy there is another Asian male character and that FFG is making conscious decisions to be inclusive.

Edited by Soakman

Posted (edited)

@Soakman Agreed; historical accuracy only intrudes so far as to restrict technologies available and inform the setting. Representation is an element completely divorced from how "accurate" things are, even before we consider the fact that marginalized people have always existed whether history shows that or not. It gives me pause that we consider fighting unknowable abominations from beyond understanding palatable, but a gay black woman in a position of power is too much.

Edited by SGPrometheus
Spelling is hard :P

While I love that there is another Asian character (male specifically) I cannot get past the part where they both (Lily and Nathanial) know martial arts, albeit boxing is less of a stereotype. I still can't wait to play as him.

Until now, I've felt like the diversity in AH was well-meaning but still flawed in its stereotypes.  Black athlete, shaman, and jazz man; Hispanic priest; bookish Asian secretary.  I'm glad to see they're adjusting that (I hadn't thought of boxing as another martial art, though)

21 minutes ago, CSerpent said:

Until now, I've felt like the diversity in AH was well-meaning but still flawed in its stereotypes.  Black athlete, shaman, and jazz man; Hispanic priest; bookish Asian secretary.  I'm glad to see they're adjusting that (I hadn't thought of boxing as another martial art, though)

It is obvious that they are trying to do better and it’s one of the reasons I continue to give them my money.

I think we have to be a bit more conservative as to what we call a stereotype.   Take Rita as the perfect example.  So you want an athlete character.

would a white male athlete be less sterotypical?
would a black male athlete be less sterotypical?  

What are they supposed to do here?  Rita is fine.  She's a black female track star.   That's not a stereotype.

Mateo again:

white preacher less stereotypical?
black preacher less stereotypical?

mateo is fine.

In other areas too,   Harvey is an old white guy professor.  For females we have Minh (secretary) and Daisy (Librarian), and Agnes (waitress).  If you look for stereotypes everywhere, you will be sure to find them.   

@awp832 I think people are just hoping that future investigators break the mold a little more and aren't so predictable. Winifred is a prime example of this: she's a daring stunt pilot who happens to also be native American; that's awesome. I love Rita and Jim and Marie, and some black people are athletes and musicians; the problem starts when we only see black athletes and musicians. On a related note, Stella is great for breaking that mold, but we do have yet to see an Asian investigator who isn't "bookworm" or "martial artist."

Not knocking FFG; I've spent a lot of money on this game and I love it. But like, as a white dude, I see myself on basically every card. It is refreshing when I don't.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, SGPrometheus said:

Not knocking FFG; I've spent a lot of money on this game and I love it. But like, as a white dude, I see myself on basically every card. It is refreshing when I don't.

As a side bonus, it makes the investigators a lot easier to tell apart as well.  I've been playing Arkham Files games since shortly after AH2E came out (and own every game and expansion for all of them!), and I still sometimes confuse Roland, Joe, and Mike...

It brings me back to the complaints about when they made Calvin an official investigator, and a couple people insisted he should be a white dude because his original ally art was a recycled pic of Finn Edwards, as if having two characters so identically non-descript 'white guy' that you can literally use the same picture for both is somehow a good thing.

Edited by KBlumhardt

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, awp832 said:

I think we have to be a bit more conservative as to what we call a stereotype.   Take Rita as the perfect example.  So you want an athlete character.

would a white male athlete be less sterotypical?
would a black male athlete be less sterotypical?  

What are they supposed to do here?  Rita is fine.  She's a black female track star.   That's not a stereotype.

Mateo again:

white preacher less stereotypical?
black preacher less stereotypical?

mateo is fine.

In other areas too,   Harvey is an old white guy professor.  For females we have Minh (secretary) and Daisy (Librarian), and Agnes (waitress).  If you look for stereotypes everywhere, you will be sure to find them.   

It's not that the athlete is black and the priest is Hispanic -- it's that the black character is an athlete and the Hispanic character is a priest.  Those are the stereotypes.

It would be different if there was a black PI or a Hispanic professor or an Indian artist in the mix.  That's the point here.  With these new characters, no one is saying, "Oh great, yet another Native American aviatrix".

And old white guy professor is just as much a stereotype, I agree.  But as a white-and-getting-older myself, I at least have Leo.

Edited by CSerpent

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Eldan985 said:

Now if we could just get a European character. Far too many Americans in there.

Does the Irish Mobster count?¬† (speeeaking of stereotypes)¬†ūüôā

Edited by KBlumhardt