Sign in to follow this  
ColtsFan77

Your Investigation Begins

New starter decks announced.  I think this is a good idea.  But it says some new cards are in them.  Will there be enough copies to have a "complete" collection if we want to disassemble them? Or will cards introduced here but seen again in future expansions?

8 minutes ago, ColtsFan77 said:

New starter decks announced.  I think this is a good idea.  But it says some new cards are in them.  Will there be enough copies to have a "complete" collection if we want to disassemble them? Or will cards introduced here but seen again in future expansions?

In the livestream they said that each deck is about 80% new cards.  And that there will be duplicates of all of the new cards.

Looks like they're changing signature items a little.   From the looks of it the signatures are

Nathanial Cho:  ?
Harvey Walters:  Vault of Knowledge
Winnifred Habbamock:  Anything you can do, better
Jaqueline Fine:  Arbiter of Fates
Stella Clark:  ?

Seems to be indicated by the silver semi-circle where the XP should be, and the fact that on Harvey and Jaqueline's cards we can read that it is their deck only.   But they are now colored cards rather than neutral.  Wonder if they will continue that trend going forward.

I see a TON of level 0 cards in these packs that look amazing.

• Guardian gets a bunch of combat events, but I think the real winner is Calvin since they all appear to have the Spirit trait
  • Seeker gets even more Card Draw, "Big Hand" archetype stuff, extra Hand Slots for Tomes, and 0XP versions of Disc of Itzamna and Feed the Mind.
  • Rogue gets a bunch of skill cards, and more support for "Succeed by X" archetype.
  • Mystic gets a bunch of cards which feel like pseudo-duplicates (Azure Flame = Shriveling, Clairvoyance = Rite of Seeking), some more chaos bag manipulation
  • Survivor gets more "Fail to Win" support (and again, more Spirit cards for Calvin)

There's a handful of other new mechanics in here:

• Firearms that magically reload themselves if you miss (.18 Derringer)
  • Firearms that you can only fire once a turn unless you Succeed by X (Rogue)
  • Robe of Endless Night (Mystic) appears to let you ignore an AOO when playing any Spell.
  • Signature cards that actually belong to a class.  This allows cards that are class-bound to work with the signatures (Daredevil, Unearth the Ancients, On Your Own, etc.).

The investigators themselves are all mono-class deckbuilding (Level 0-5 of Primary class, 0-5 Neutral, no other splash cards or Restrictions).  To compensate, they all seem to have additional Health/Sanity and fairly generous Stat lines.

FYI: Nathaniel Cho's signature is Tommy Cho, and Stella Clark gets 3 copies of Neither Rain nor Snow, but I haven't found spoilers for what those cards actually are/do, just that they are listed on the backside of the investigators under their Deckbuilding Requirements.

Posted (edited)

Also I just noticed in the Livestream that they are all mono class.  Completely mono class.  Interesting.  I was wondering when we'd see that.

Edited by phillos

3 hours ago, phillos said:

Harvey!!  Fist pumping in the air as I type this reply!

Also Lonnie!!  I loved Lonnie in Hour Of The Huntress.  She is Rogue so she easily slots into a Jenny deck.

Where’s Lonnie mentioned?

1 hour ago, phillos said:

She is in the Rogue card fan in the article.  Rittner was her last name.  I wonder what she does.

No doubt something that interacts with skill cards or committed cards to tests given Winnie's abilities. Hmm.

Posted (edited)

Better than i hoped it will be. Definitely a buy for me.

Nathanial seems interesting but would probably be resource strapped like most guardians. He probably wouldn't need to invest in another weapon other than his gloves though.

I think Jacqueline might be better off using the good old shrivelling and rite of seeking than the spells that came with her.

While i welcome Harvey and his card drawing prowess i don't think he is any better at it than Daisy or Minh.

Winifred seems good. Finally have a good reason to use opportunist.

Fail to succeed gameplay of Stella doesn't seems quite newbie friendly even if she does have a 8/8.

The card that stands out most for me is this reveal robes of endless night. It perfectly complements most if not all mystics. At 2 xp even sub mystics can use it, uses the body slot which is an unused slot most of the time, have a 2 health soak and allows spell events without aoo all at the price of only 2 resource. What more could a mystic ask for?

Edited by DarkFate

6 hours ago, Faranim said:
  • Guardian gets a bunch of combat events, but I think the real winner is Calvin since they all appear to have the Spirit trait
  • Seeker gets even more Card Draw, "Big Hand" archetype stuff, extra Hand Slots for Tomes, and 0XP versions of Disc of Itzamna and Feed the Mind.
  • Rogue gets a bunch of skill cards, and more support for "Succeed by X" archetype.
  • Mystic gets a bunch of cards which feel like pseudo-duplicates (Azure Flame = Shriveling, Clairvoyance = Rite of Seeking), some more chaos bag manipulation
  • Survivor gets more "Fail to Win" support (and again, more

Calvin is a big winner for sure.

But I almost think Harvey really wins out.  Think of all the cards just released in Dream Eaters that will work with him. Dream Enhancing Serum, Abigail Foreman, Extensive Research, 3XP Old Book of Lore, Surprising Find. Add to that whatever else is in his deck and he could be a useful guy to have around! 

6 hours ago, awp832 said:

Looks like they're changing signature items a little.   From the looks of it the signatures are

Seems to be indicated by the silver semi-circle where the XP should be, and the fact that on Harvey and Jaqueline's cards we can read that it is their deck only.   But they are now colored cards rather than neutral.  Wonder if they will continue that trend going forward.

I feel like they specifically did that so that new players would associate the card with the character, but as Faranim mentioned it creates a super interesting interaction with cards that look for class cards.

I figured it out: it's because these investigators are mono-colored. Their identity is so tied up in their class that their signatures are also that class.

Mystery solved.

7 hours ago, awp832 said:

Nathaniel: Randall Cho

Stella: Neither Rain nor Snow (3 copies)

It’s easy to miss, but the card fan shows there is both a 0XP and 2XP Robes of Endless Night in Jacqueline’s pack.

Also, the livestream showed that there are 0XP and 2XP .18 Derringer, and 0XP and 3XP Granny Orne cards in Stella’s pack.

So, I think a lot of the new cards will have both 0XP and leveled up versions.

i also noticed the highest card number is 30, so I assume every card (besides signatures) come with 2 copies, which means the spread is likely around 10 new 0XP cards, 10 new XP cards, and a few reprints per pack.

I believe there was also mention in the livestream that some of these cards would also be coming out via regular cycle packs eventually (e.g. we can expect to see some of these as part of the Innsmouth cycle)

I’m still excited about more content for this game - it gives new reasons to replay older investigators.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Faranim said:

It’s easy to miss, but the card fan shows there is both a 0XP and 2XP Robes of Endless Night in Jacqueline’s pack.

Also, the livestream showed that there are 0XP and 2XP .18 Derringer, and 0XP and 3XP Granny Orne cards in Stella’s pack.

So, I think a lot of the new cards will have both 0XP and leveled up versions.

i also noticed the highest card number is 30, so I assume every card (besides signatures) come with 2 copies, which means the spread is likely around 10 new 0XP cards, 10 new XP cards, and a few reprints per pack.

I believe there was also mention in the livestream that some of these cards would also be coming out via regular cycle packs eventually (e.g. we can expect to see some of these as part of the Innsmouth cycle)

I’m still excited about more content for this game - it gives new reasons to replay older investigators.

The Necronomicon is card #33 in Harvey's deck and the upgraded M1918 is card #31 in Wini's. 

I assume cards like the Necromicon that are specifically 'Limit 1 per deck' will only have one copy, but everything else will have 2 (as we were promised a 'full play set').

Edited by KBlumhardt

From watching the livestream, they also mentioned that each of these decks also includes 1 new Basic Weakness.

So, the basic pack structure is approximately:

1x Investigator

2-4x Signature Cards

1x Basic Weakness

30x 0XP Cards (not accounting for Bonded/Myriad/Limit-1-per-investigator).  Based on their "80%New cards" statement, that would mean 12 new 0XP cards and 3 reprints, with 2 copies of each.

26x 1+XP Cards.  Also around 12x new XP cards - it seems many of these will be upgrades to their 0XP counterparts in the pre-built deck, with maybe a few new cards that don't have a 0XP version.

46 minutes ago, DarkFate said:

I think they will probably only include singles of the reprints which will complete the singles in the core set. 

A someone getting into this game that would be great. For all people who already bought a second core set 😬, i feel bad for ya, but it is what it is.

Posted (edited)

Exactly! I’m sure that there will have to be some pretty “core” core cards in all the packs, like Emergency cash, unexpected courage, flashlight, Guts, Manuel Dexrerity etc. We will get a windfall of extras! Which is all good. We had actually picked up a third core set for under $4 about a year ago, for this very reason. We play with people who don’t have one and often have 6 decks built. Those extra cards have come in very handy as backs for duplicates and fan made content. 

Edited by Mimi61