Murilo_Brog

Two ships stuck in front of each other

Hello Guys, I have participated of a game where my opponent used his huge hull value of his Millennium Falcon to simply bump my empire ships forcing me to roll damage dices on all movements until my ships explodes. The rules related to bump avoided me to perform any action, as barrel rolls or impulses neutralizing my ships. I wasn't in a very good dice day and he repeated that on and on until destroy my Tie Advanced and Tie Phantom.

I couldn't read anywhere a rule for this kind of situation. It didn't seem to be something planned, but as long as it worked my opponent took that as an Strategy. Despite of this been dirty play, is that any suggestion to avoid these situations?

Every ship, has some kind of maneuver that can get them out of this. Why did you not plan a speed 3+ maneuver and just fly past him? Also, how are you getting damaged if you are bumping his falcon? Unless he has Zeb on it, ships at range 0 (touching) cant attack each other.

Im alittle confused by this, if im honest.

How was your opponent putting damage into your ships? Did he have other ships firing at your TIE Advanced and TIE Phantom? And @Lyianx is correct, most of the time a 3-speed maneuver should clear a large base ship, and both the Advanced and the Phantom have a full selection of 3's and some faster maneuvers, too.

On 3/24/2020 at 10:38 AM, Murilo_Brog said:

forcing me to roll damage dices on all movements

There is no damage from "ramming" or bumping in X-Wing Second Edition, wasn't any in first edition either if I'm recalling correctly, outside of Huge ships (which the Millennium Falcon isn't one of). Your opponent was not playing the game properly.

Before it is brought up, the Rebel Modified YT-1300 does not have the slot for Feedback Array in the current rules so that should not be in effect either.

First Edition did have Anti-Pursuit Lasers which would force a ship to roll for damage after bumping the upgraded ship.  Though that still doesn't explain either of those ships being unable to get away, unless the player was unaware that a ship could fly through another ship.

One assumption that we all tend to have, upon reading posted questions, is that we're talking about Second Edition.  In First Edition, a ship with the Stunned Pilot damage card would take damage any time it impacts another ship.  Similarly, we don't know if the Falcon was blocking a ship that was stuck on an obstacle, or if the Falcon player was just expertly "kiting" their opponent with Anti-Pursuit Lasers.

Largely, though, I'm going to add to the chorus of, "most likely, it's unfamiliarity with the rules that led to this situation."

When one ship overlaps another, there are things that happen - you described skipping your perform action step, for example - but rolling for damage is (almost) never one of those things.  I'm loathe to just shout "READ THE RULES" at someone, but it may help to refer to the Rules Reference, and go over the specific steps involved with executing maneuvers, just to make sure you're not adding extra details into the mix.  I'd also consider laying out some ship bases in the situation you described, and seeing what you might be able to do with your maneuver templates to escape the situation, in a practice scenario.

pic2653328.jpg

Thanks Guys, damage was get as everytime I tried to move I bump at his millennium and had to roll a damage dice, always getting a hit (my bad lucky). I didn't know that a 3+ move could get me through the ship (fly pass), I was only considering the rule that gets me returning over the movement rule until clear the other ships base. I guess I realize the error now, I shouldn't be stuck in the end. I was playing version 1 indeed, but not entirely knowing the movement rules. Thank you guys for your complete responses on my question.

17 hours ago, Murilo_Brog said:

... I was playing version 1 indeed, but not entirely knowing the movement rules. Thank you guys for your complete responses on my question.

For future reference I suggest putting a [1e] tag on the topic title if you have a question about First Edition rules; most responses will assume the current second edition standard rules and upgrades are in play unless you specify otherwise. There are definitely plenty of old vets who will be happy to clarify 1e rules for you 🙂