Jump to content
DangerShine Designs

What would you like to see from Edge Studios?

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Yepesnopes said:

and one more thing. Release the pdf files for sale please!!!

Convince Lucasfilm, Asmodee/Edge, and EA to all sit down and alter the terms of the tabletop gaming and electronic/video gaming contracts to allow it.

Should be a breeze to convince EA to do something that holds absolutely no benefit for them, but potential to hurt them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Yepesnopes said:

It holds benefit for the customers, plus they will gain some cash selling the pdfs.

Any way, this thread is a wishlist, isn’t it 🙂

EA won't gain anything by Asmodee selling the PDFs.

The terms of the respective licenses remain largely unchanged since they were first drafted. In the case of the RPG/tabletop game contract, that dates back to West End Games in the late 80s. Not only was electronic delivery to the average person not a thing at that time, the PDF format didn't exist. As the various licenses are written, PDFs fall under EA's electronic/video game license because it's "electronic distribution." (There are a few loopholes that allow the supplemental PDFs and dice rollers, because they are effectively useless without owning the physical game books.)

EA has nothing to gain by renegotiating their contract terms to allow Asmodee to sell the game through PDF format. They do, however, stand to lose; with that term being altered, Lucasfilm could take the opportunity to change other terms that could result in less profit for EA, or other changes that would be perceived as less favorable for EA. (There's precedent for this happening when the toy license was renegotiated many years ago; Kenner/Hasbro took a big hit in the percentage they retained from the toys.) And that's not accounting for a simple matter of logistics: It's more likely for Asmodee to request these changes, so it would most likely be during the course of EA's contract, not at its renewal time. EA has no incentive to incur the legal costs of renegotiating the terms of their contract off-cycle for an outcome that won't add any value to them.

"Well, then...why doesn't Asmodee just have EA sell the PDFs?" The margin on licensed RPGs is slim already. Contracting EA to sell the PDFs would cut into that margin.

Sure, it's a wishlist. Sure, PDFs would be convenient. But, I'm just lookin' at the realistic expectation for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

EA won't gain anything by Asmodee selling the PDFs.

The terms of the respective licenses remain largely unchanged since they were first drafted. In the case of the RPG/tabletop game contract, that dates back to West End Games in the late 80s. Not only was electronic delivery to the average person not a thing at that time, the PDF format didn't exist. As the various licenses are written, PDFs fall under EA's electronic/video game license because it's "electronic distribution." (There are a few loopholes that allow the supplemental PDFs and dice rollers, because they are effectively useless without owning the physical game books.)

EA has nothing to gain by renegotiating their contract terms to allow Asmodee to sell the game through PDF format. They do, however, stand to lose; with that term being altered, Lucasfilm could take the opportunity to change other terms that could result in less profit for EA, or other changes that would be perceived as less favorable for EA. (There's precedent for this happening when the toy license was renegotiated many years ago; Kenner/Hasbro took a big hit in the percentage they retained from the toys.) And that's not accounting for a simple matter of logistics: It's more likely for Asmodee to request these changes, so it would most likely be during the course of EA's contract, not at its renewal time. EA has no incentive to incur the legal costs of renegotiating the terms of their contract off-cycle for an outcome that won't add any value to them.

"Well, then...why doesn't Asmodee just have EA sell the PDFs?" The margin on licensed RPGs is slim already. Contracting EA to sell the PDFs would cut into that margin.

Sure, it's a wishlist. Sure, PDFs would be convenient. But, I'm just lookin' at the realistic expectation for that.

Really the only way to get those terms changed is for LFL to decide they want them changed

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2020 at 12:53 PM, Yepesnopes said:

A compendium of all the equipment published so far and a compendium of all the vehicles published so far.

In some ways I'd like to see an on-line index. Something to let me know that race is in what book and stuff like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We could probably start a letter Writing campaign to LFL telling them out desires in a respectful way with what we know of the license. Maybe that might be an impetous to get them to at least reword it with EA renews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

We could probably start a letter Writing campaign to LFL telling them out desires in a respectful way with what we know of the license. Maybe that might be an impetous to get them to at least reword it with EA renews.

Maybe.

But consider this: would they find it worth the time, money, and effort to alter the terms of a large market contract at the request of a subset of what is (in the grand licensing scheme) a niche market rather than rubber-stamping a renewal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Maybe.

But consider this: would they find it worth the time, money, and effort to alter the terms of a large market contract at the request of a subset of what is (in the grand licensing scheme) a niche market rather than rubber-stamping a renewal?

Like i said maybe. On the other hand itnis in the top 5 Rpgs and grown that market share might be worth it. It is also possible they are not aware of our desire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

Like i said maybe. On the other hand itnis in the top 5 Rpgs and grown that market share might be worth it. It is also possible they are not aware of our desire.

I said maybe, too, remember. 😁

Just keeping in mind that despite RPGs having a high profile right now, it’s really only the “big dog” that sees much distribution outside of specialty outlets (I worked at a Barnes & Noble for a while last year for some extra cash. Although we technically carried the Star Wars RPG, we never had any in the store, and I was unable even to special order new releases as an employee.), so it’s still a niche market, and those who’d definitely purchase the PDFs are a subset of that market.

Even without that cynicism of mine, there’s this to consider: Based on the products, LFL, Hasbro, and Funko all apparently agree that rather than rewriting the terms of the toy contract, it was preferable for Funko to add bases and a small spring to the heads of the Star Wars Pops so they could be classified as “bobble heads” instead of “action figures,” leaving Hasbro’s contract alone.

Edited by Nytwyng

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nytwyng said:

I said maybe, too, remember. 😁

Just keeping in mind that despite RPGs having a high profile right now, it’s really only the “big dog” that sees much distribution outside of specialty outlets (I worked at a Barnes & Noble for a while last year for some extra cash. Although we technically carried the Star Wars RPG, we never had any in the store, and I was unable even to special order new releases as an employee.), so it’s still a niche market, and those who’d definitely purchase the PDFs are a subset of that market.

Even without that cynicism of mine, there’s this to consider: Based on the products, LFL, Hasbro, and Funko all apparently agree that rather than rewriting the terms of the toy contract, it was preferable for Funko to add bases and a small spring to the heads of the Star Wars Pops so they could be classified as “bobble heads” instead of “action figures,” leaving Hasbro’s contract alone.

that is because of the snafu when the forgot to renew the license and got a much worse deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

that is because of the snafu when the forgot to renew the license and got a much worse deal.

My point being, LFL could have made that small alteration when Hasbro’s contract was up for renewal, just as you suggest they could with EA’s contract to free up PDFs. But they didn’t. So Star Wars Pops are “bobble heads” while the vast majority aren’t. (I’ve seen a few from other lines that have the same design...and the Zoe from the Firefly Pops could use a base...her hairstyle makes her top heavy, and she doesn’t stand on her own.) Just observing available information on what can be seen as a similar circumstance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a quick skim through the 9 pages I missed out on. TBH I think we have enough d6 (and d20) stuff to use as splat and enough official FFG stats and fan made stuff  - like Heroes on Both Sides that do we really need FFG splat on the Corporate Sector? Not a criticism or swipe who ever asked for that more of a rhetorical question. I've taken many FFG and fan made stuff and just changed names. Thank You Very Much to those who made HoBS... twas VERY useful..... cheers!

I've bought some stuff outside FFG as 'in game official' stuff like the Del Ray Official Guide to (splat) and the Chronology (from the late 90s?) to set stuff in place.

I would like stuff on places not covered in either d6, as that came across as being in the Rebellion early on until they got their heads in the game with the Tramp Freighters and Platt's Starport guide.. and well... d20.. the splat's decent enough I spose...

FFG SW is the only game that I continually pick up and read even when playing other systems.. was flicking through when playing PFRPG, D&D 5E, CoC but I was only reading those systems when playing them... I wasn't flicking through the D&D stuff when playing CoC a few months back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I really hope there is some LFL content sharing going on behind the scenes for High Republic stuff. I will buy a Star Wars: High Republic version of the game so quickly! 😄

Edited by angelman2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, angelman2 said:

I really hope there is some LFL content sharing going on behind the scenes for High Republic stuff. I will buy a Star Wars: High Republic version of the game so quickly! 😄

Sadly, if prior history with regards to prior FFG products, no such thing is happening, at least not where FFG/Edge Studios is concerned.

If there were to be a High Republic sourcebook, it'd probably only show up a few years after the books start being published, since Edge Studios would have to wait for details to be released, decide they have enough to work with to warrant a supplement, then get the book written and developed (most sourcebooks for Star Wars take roughly at year from conception to completion, longer if there's issues with getting said books printed & shipped to distributors).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dash Crossfield said:

I want a source book based on the Old Republic. That would make me so happy Next to them releasing a vehicle and weapons card set. Like Those are my three wishes

It's still a WIP, but someone in the FaD forum is/was putting together a fan-made supplement, if you're interested: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Setting some more realistic expectations--

I'm not expecting any announcements anytime soon.

A new episode of the Order 66 Podcast dropped today. When discussing everything that's happened regarding FFG/Asmodee/Edge since their last episode in December, Chris said that, as soon as Edge was announced, he (and Hooly) reached out to Edge to introduce themselves/the podcasts (Order 66 and The Forge), and say that they'd like to continue the good working relationship that they've had with FFG. The response was that Edge knew who they were, were glad to continue the working relationship, but to "give them the year," because they'd prefer to wait until they had something concrete to announce.

So, it sounds like - pandemic aside - they're looking at this year as their ramp-up year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Setting some more realistic expectations--

I'm not expecting any announcements anytime soon.

A new episode of the Order 66 Podcast dropped today. When discussing everything that's happened regarding FFG/Asmodee/Edge since their last episode in December, Chris said that, as soon as Edge was announced, he (and Hooly) reached out to Edge to introduce themselves/the podcasts (Order 66 and The Forge), and say that they'd like to continue the good working relationship that they've had with FFG. The response was that Edge knew who they were, were glad to continue the working relationship, but to "give them the year," because they'd prefer to wait until they had something concrete to announce.

So, it sounds like - pandemic aside - they're looking at this year as their ramp-up year.

I'd say gives some of us ('specially me) time to catch up, but... I can't find the books. <_<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A year also means better and less rushed (gotta-catch-up!!!!) production, which is nice. This gives me confidence that the Edge version could turn out a really cool and solid thing. Color me optimistic! 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A species book would be top of the list for me.

Just compile all the playable species that already exist, chuck in some unexplored ones from the ST and other places, maybe a couple more Universal Specialisation just to add somerhing else, and job's a good un.

That'd be straight in my pre-order basket the second it's announced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2020 at 7:56 AM, Nytwyng said:

Setting some more realistic expectations--

I'm not expecting any announcements anytime soon.

A new episode of the Order 66 Podcast dropped today. When discussing everything that's happened regarding FFG/Asmodee/Edge since their last episode in December, Chris said that, as soon as Edge was announced, he (and Hooly) reached out to Edge to introduce themselves/the podcasts (Order 66 and The Forge), and say that they'd like to continue the good working relationship that they've had with FFG. The response was that Edge knew who they were, were glad to continue the working relationship, but to "give them the year," because they'd prefer to wait until they had something concrete to announce.

So, it sounds like - pandemic aside - they're looking at this year as their ramp-up year.

I’m still working through the Order 66 Podcasts, but boy was I glad to see it pop up on my feed yesterday. I’d feared the worst.

Edited by Fandabidozi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...