jalrin

Un-hijackable assistance request source

I have been asked by our regular GM to help build a new setting for our L5R group that will expand the options for our players.  My copy of Path of Waves should be arriving on Wednesday and I was hoping for a place I could ask some questions at that time to help me get going.  Sadly, it seems difficult to do that here since all of our threads get derailed by a few people reciting the same complaints they have had for at least the past year.  Is there somewhere I can go to get insights that will not be hijacked by rants about the conflicts chapter?  Thank you so much.

4 hours ago, jalrin said:

I have been asked by our regular GM to help build a new setting for our L5R group that will expand the options for our players.  My copy of Path of Waves should be arriving on Wednesday and I was hoping for a place I could ask some questions at that time to help me get going.  Sadly, it seems difficult to do that here since all of our threads get derailed by a few people reciting the same complaints they have had for at least the past year.  Is there somewhere I can go to get insights that will not be hijacked by rants about the conflicts chapter?  Thank you so much.

Start by asking your questions. If they are setting/lore questions, I am pretty sure it'll be a pretty awesome discussion.

If it is rules questions, then it is probably bound to be very heated because most of the time there are no "right" answers and it is strictly depending on how your group plays the game. And most of the time, it all goes back to the same answer; the rules are finicky and depend on interpretation.

The subforum about "Lore Discussion" is where you want to have your cool discussions about Rokugan. It seems the right place for the questions you are about to ask.

On 3/23/2020 at 5:10 PM, jalrin said:

I have been asked by our regular GM to help build a new setting for our L5R group that will expand the options for our players...

There is loads of material published under the earlier editions that would be useful for building different settings. Several of the editions take on different times in Rokugan's history, which provides for very different antagonists and focus (e.g. external threat vs internal one, material threat vs supernatural, and so on) and puts different clans in the 'center of the action.' If you want a different geographical setting, there's also material on both the Scorpion's time in the Burning Sands (Arabia, sort of) and how Rokugan set up an embassy area in the Ivory Kingdoms (India, sort of). And there is loads of minor clan material out there. There are even additional playable races - Naga, Kenku, some others - though they've never, in any edition, been a major focus of the game.

So there's a lot of setting directions you can go, depending on what your group wants and how much they want to spend on old edition material for plots.  And even if your answer is "I want to spend none", there's always the L5R wiki.