Sign in to follow this  
Santan75

Quantity vs. Quality

I just started playing xwing at the local store. I have only played one game I used Lando in the Falcon with too many upgrade along with Jake and Arvel in A wings against Fo Tie swam and lost pretty easily. It seems to me having more ships is better than having good ships. I am still a novice and more than likely I was not using all my ship abilities to their maximum. I have invested in a few more ships and was thinking about running Sai in the shuttle with Jamming beam, perceptive co pilot, freelance slicer and st-321 along with "Mauler", "Scourge", Gideon and "Howlrunner" no upgrades on the Ties. It's a full 200 point list and I was going to use the shuttle to jam and pass out focus tokens. Looking for thoughts and suggestions.

Posted (edited)

Hi - sorry there's been no response to this - I think everyone's feeling the effects of the shutdown!

I'm a casual player, I've been playing for a few years but there are some more savvy people around who can give you better advice than me.  Here are some thoughts though, for what they're worth.

On 3/21/2020 at 2:09 PM, Santan75 said:

having more ships is better than having good ships

Not necessarily.  There are still competitive two-ship lists (admittedly you're likely to need to be a good player to get them to work).  A recent example of a successful two-ship list was Boba Fett and Koshka Frost.  There's a great thread on it here.

On 3/21/2020 at 2:09 PM, Santan75 said:

too many upgrade

On the whole keeping ships fairly lean in terms of upgrades seems to be the way to go.  But it's not really the number of upgrades.  It's more about making sure you're being as efficient as possible and getting good value out of everything you're doing.  Especially as a newer player, that's not easy to do.

I don't think your proposed list looks too bad.  I'm not sure whether perceptive co-pilot is great value.  I'm assuming you're going to be coordinating a focus, getting the free lock and the double focus for yourself and then spending the lock to jam if you're attacked.  I think there's got to be a risk that the second focus token is going to be left unspent a lot of rounds.

Have you tried it out?  How did it go?

Edited by eljms

2 hours ago, eljms said:

Hi - sorry there's been no response to this - I think everyone's feeling the effects of the shutdown!

This! 😭

One of the great things about this game is that neither quality or quantity are the top trump. You can go with either and have a good game and a good chance.

On top of that, I'd say that neither offer an easier solution for a new player.

With quantity, you have a lot to manage and light ships that will blow up fast. You're generally looking to get an early advantage, before diminishing returns bite. This can be a hard ask when you're starting out.

With quality, you have a longer, more flexible window of opportunity to gain the advantage, but are usually a lot more vulnerable to the perils of blank green dice and are almost certainly facing a swift end should you err.

I don't think either will give you many chances to learn from your mistakes.

This is an easy game to pick up, but a difficult game to be good at. The best list for a new player such as yourself, is going to be fairly simple, with few triggers and a good slice of resiliance. It'll give you the opportunity to see your mistakes, with a chance at riding them out and learning from them.

A relatively tough and lightly equipped 4 ship list is perhaps a decent starting point, giving you a bit of everything against all comers.

Eljms is absolutely spot on about upgrade efficiency. There is no right answer to how many ships, how many cards. Lists can be delicate things, everything you include needs to pull it's weight. A good list carries no passengers.

Your Imperial list there, contains a lumbering cow and some mayflys. It's honestly not bad, and will give you a variety of things to work with, but it won't be easy and doesn't have the flexibility you'll likely need.

The best advice I can offer, apart from a vague list idea, is to read, read and read, watch match videos on YouTube and just fly ships around a table at home. There is too much to come to terms with for one single post, and too many variables to pack in a 'pick up, play and do well' chunk of text.

Don't be in a hurry to find a winning team. You need time to learn the game and understand how to use the various mechanics to your advantage. Above all, you need to soak in how the ships move, the dimensions of travel, and how that relates to what your opponents are looking to do.

Take your time, keep it simple, be a sponge and have fun 🙂

Incorrect premise as "quantity" is a "quality" all its own. Cuz05 has the right of it. Your bigger problem at the moment is learning to fly. 

I would recommend against a lot of interactions and triggers that need remembered and managed. But that Empire list is fairly manageable in that regard.

The trouble is flying a high initiative swarm is susceptible to a block throwing the whole thing out of whack. Also with the shuttle set up to be more offensive and moving before your TIEs you might have some trouble getting mileage out of the coordinate and title and such. Be careful not to get in your own way.

I would drop the slicer or title for a bit of a bid.

I would honestly suggest starting with the Rebelion instead of the Empire. It feels a lot more rookie friendly. The ships have health and usually hit with a solid punch.

The thing to understand in X-Wing, is that every faction has its own nature and quirks. Rebels for example have a lot of mid initiative pilots, that cooperate quite well together. Empire has very agile aces, but also the Tie Swarm, where an officer boosts effectiveness of otherwise weaker generic pilots. Separatists have a huge amount of coordinated ship abilities, hitting that drone hive mind feel. Republic has the Jedi, who are great at helping nearby ships excell at their tasks, while being extremely agile themselves.

Before I started building my own lists, I spent weeks watching Gold Squadron matches, talking with local players and reading everything I could about cards and upgrades. But most of all, this forum has helped correct my ideas, show me options I haven't considered on my own.

So... Read, learn, experiment, develop. And most of all, have fun!

Posted (edited)
On 3/21/2020 at 12:09 PM, Santan75 said:

It seems to me having more ships is better than having good ships.

Your "quality" ships means there is more to learn and more triggers to remember. You are combining 4-8 ships worth of firepower into 2 or 3 ships. That means you better practice with these ships and know every trick in the book. More practice with these ships turns into greater results. In most 2-3 ship ace type of lists, if it comes down to 1 ace vs 2 or 3 generics. Usually the generics have no/little chance vs an experienced player.

"Quantity" lists are more pick up and play friendly. More reps still equals better play, but on a slower curve. "Quantity" lists are more forgiving, cause if you make a mistake and lose a ship, you are only down 20-40pts instead of 50-100pts. One bad dice roll in a "quantity" list does not cost you the game like it can in a "Quality" list. There are also less triggers to remember, which is a big thumbs-up for many players who just want to pew-pew and have fun rolling dice, and not worry about a billion triggers at every phase of the game.

If you are first starting out, you probably want quantity, unless you are masochist and wanna fly trip aces and feel the wrath of dice gods and know how fragile 70pt ships with 4-5hp are.

Edited by wurms

Thank you all for the responses. I did make the mistake of purchasing a bunch of ships along with Rebel and Empire conversions. I really enjoy the game very much and I have been using twin Tie Bombers with Proton Torpedoes, proton bombs and seismic charges Scimitar Squadron Pilots and Quad Black Squadron Aces all with marksmanship. I have have been winning games with it and it is very fun to use. I have used Braylen in the B-wing, Miranda in the K-wing with Han in YT-1300. Braylen is naked with Miranda using Cassian and Veteran Gunner, Han is flying with Lando and the hotshot gunner. Seems like I am always getting blocked with the bigger ships. What is the best defense against blocking?