bllaw

New Painter

Like the title says I am a completely new painter. I've never done any miniature painting before but with a lot of time on my hands I thought I'd give it a go. I have a fairly wide collection of Legion minis between all four factions and I had a few questions about the painting sets FFG released a while back. Do the sets come with enough paint and the right paints for an army for both Rebels and Imperials? Also, I know they don't come with everything I'd need to get started so what other products would you guys advise I purchase? Or are the paint sets useless and I should get paints from another place and if so where would y'all advise i look? Thanks so much in advance!

On 3/20/2020 at 3:26 PM, bllaw said:

Like the title says I am a completely new painter. I've never done any miniature painting before but with a lot of time on my hands I thought I'd give it a go. I have a fairly wide collection of Legion minis between all four factions and I had a few questions about the painting sets FFG released a while back. Do the sets come with enough paint and the right paints for an army for both Rebels and Imperials? Also, I know they don't come with everything I'd need to get started so what other products would you guys advise I purchase? Or are the paint sets useless and I should get paints from another place and if so where would y'all advise i look? Thanks so much in advance!

The paint sets are definitely not useless, especially if you are new.  I don’t have them myself but it’s a nice selection of colors and at the very least will help you avoid “paralysis of analysis” staring at a huge wall of paint colors and trying to figure out what you should get.

YouTube is a tremendous resource for new painters.  There are lots that address what you need to get started so I won’t try to replicate them here.  But really you need miniature paint, brushes and water.  If I could give you one piece of advice it would be use specialized miniature paints, thin them, and then make sure you don’t overload your brush.