Ved Foslo: “While you execute a maneuver, you may execute a maneuver of the same bearing and difficulty of a speed 1 higher or lower instead.“

Does the replacement maneuver need to be present on Ved’s maneuver dial? For example, let’s say I reveal a white speed 3 left bank, but that no longer looks like a great idea, because my opponent now has that area covered by several arcs. Can I replace that maneuver with a white speed 4 hard left turn, despite the fact that Ved can’t normally turn hard at speed 4?

(I’m guessing no, but it doesn’t hurt to ask!)

Thanks!

54 minutes ago, Cpt ObVus said:

Does the replacement maneuver need to be present on Ved’s maneuver dial?

No, since it is not written as a rule of the ability.

But there must be an existing template for the resulting maneuver: e.g. a 4 hard turn or bank is not possible.

If there's a template, Ved can do it.  He could do 2 speed Talon Rolls, 1-hard turns, or 3 or 5 speed K-Turns, even though those aren't on his dial.  But the templates exist.

He can't reduce anything to a 0-speed (since there aren't 0-speed templates for small-base ships, and the 0-stall is a different bearing than 1-straight), and he can't go 4-speed turn/bank/Tallon Roll, or 6 speed Straight.

1 hour ago, theBitterFig said:

If there's a template, Ved can do it.  He could do 2 speed Talon Rolls, 1-hard turns, or 3 or 5 speed K-Turns, even though those aren't on his dial.  But the templates exist.

He can't reduce anything to a 0-speed (since there aren't 0-speed templates for small-base ships, and the 0-stall is a different bearing than 1-straight), and he can't go 4-speed turn/bank/Tallon Roll, or 6 speed Straight.

That seems incredibly powerful. Doesn’t that, practically speaking, prevent him from getting stressed almost ever? And being by far the most maneuverable ship in the game, with the flexibility to pick just about anything at will?

46 minutes ago, Cpt ObVus said:

That seems incredibly powerful. Doesn’t that, practically speaking, prevent him from getting stressed almost ever? And being by far the most maneuverable ship in the game, with the flexibility to pick just about anything at will?

It's flexible, but his init is relatively low, so it doesn't come with a lot of information, and he relies on getting locks to be effective, so his linked action isn't great, and he still only clears stress from it on banks and straights.  And you can still block basically his entire dial with a single large base.

It's good, but it's not great.

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Cpt ObVus said:

No it doesn't prevent him from getting stressed if he needs to turn around quickly, K-turn and Tallon are still red maneuvers. Yes his "theoric dial" is cool. But no blue turns and the chassis he's on is not so great.

Edited by Ximatique

2 minutes ago, Ximatique said:

No it doesn't prevent him from getting stressed if he needs to turn around quickly, K-turn and Tallon are still red maneuvers. But yes his "theoric dial" is insane.

“...same bearing and difficulty,” says Ved. So if I reveal a speed 3 left bank, that’s a white maneuver for Ved, meaning that I could choose to speed 4 left Tallon Roll instead. Since it’s the same bearing and difficulty, that means it’s a white maneuver for him.

Right?

45 minutes ago, Cpt ObVus said:

“...same bearing and difficulty,” says Ved. So if I reveal a speed 3 left bank, that’s a white maneuver for Ved, meaning that I could choose to speed 4 left Tallon Roll instead. Since it’s the same bearing and difficulty, that means it’s a white maneuver for him.

Right?

No.

Bearing refers to the symbol, not just the direction.

A turn is a different bearing from a bank, and from a segnor's loop or tallon roll.

You can only increase or decrease speed, not change symbol.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

No.

Bearing refers to the symbol, not just the direction.

A turn is a different bearing from a bank, and from a segnor's loop or tallon roll.

You can only increase or decrease speed, not change symbol.

I really wish FFG would hire some people who were better at writing clearly. I reread the RRG entry on “bearing,” and I see what you’re saying, but that isn’t at at all clear in the rules.

Anyway, I understand how Foslo works now. Thank you!

Edited by Cpt ObVus

Continuing the conversation...  This ability is very reminiscent of (the same actually) 1.0 Juno Eclipse.  I wanted to make her work so bad as I loved her back story and squadded her up with 2 Black Eight Sqd Pilots (Tie Punishers) to complete the lore.

Unfortunately, even at PS 8 (1.0 terms) I didn't find myself using her ability that much, except for situation of losing some stress.

Its a cool concept, but outside of being on an initiative of 5 or 6 pilot, it doesn't have the consistency of usefulness.   Adding to that is Vader is just so good, if you are going to field an X-1, Vader is the one you want to field.

PS.  I am kind of sad they didn't carry Juno Eclipse or the Black 8 Sqd Tie Punishers over.  Her backstory is so good, if you have not read about the bombardment of Callos that she led and the effect it took on her... its is a great story, an honestly would have made an excellent "Star Wars Story" stand alone movie.

The other issue with Ved is that absent moves you simply couldn't do without his ability...

You're better off paying less (or more, and getting better initiative and a better ability), and just learning to dial the right move in the first place.  Better players will be doing that.

Choosing the right move is a key skill of the game, and (absent a few very specific cases which usually come with significant other upsides) paying to get some flexibility in it is not typically something people bother with.

Ved also doesn't offer *that* much differentiation, because he onyl affects speed, which in te end typically only makes a small base or so's worth of different in final position - it doesn't change your facing.

All of which conspires to mean that he can feel incredible as a new play, and can be a helpful learning tool, but he'll tend to be more in the vein of training wheels than a racing bike.

Posted (edited)

@Cpt ObVus

Don’t listen to the haters!!! LONG LIVE THE FORGOTTEN X1s!!!

The Other Guys

(45) Maarek Stele [TIE Advanced x1]
(2) Fire-Control System
(1) Crack Shot

(44) Ved Foslo [TIE Advanced x1]
(2) Fire-Control System
(1) Crack Shot

(41) Zertik Strom [TIE Advanced x1]
(2) Fire-Control System

(48) Colonel Jendon [Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle]
(10) Advanced Sensors
(4) ST-321

Total points: 200

This is actually a fairly potent list. AND it’s super fun to play! 😜😜

Edited by JBFancourt

31 minutes ago, JBFancourt said:

@CptObvious

Don’t listen to the haters!!! LONG LIVE THE FORGOTTEN X1s!!!

The Other Guys

(45) Maarek Stele [TIE Advanced x1]
(2) Fire-Control System
(1) Crack Shot

(44) Ved Foslo [TIE Advanced x1]
(2) Fire-Control System
(1) Crack Shot

(41) Zertik Strom [TIE Advanced x1]
(2) Fire-Control System

(48) Colonel Jendon [Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle]
(10) Advanced Sensors
(4) ST-321

Total points: 200

This is actually a fairly potent list. AND it’s super fun to play! 😜😜

Oh, excellent. Yes, I’m looking for ALL the Lambda & TIE Reaper builds right now, too, so this is great!

On 3/20/2020 at 1:02 PM, Cpt ObVus said:

I really wish FFG would hire some people who were better at writing clearly. I reread the RRG entry on “bearing,” and I see what you’re saying, but that isn’t at at all clear in the rules.

Anyway, I understand how Foslo works now. Thank you!

Rule Reference pg 6?

Each maneuver has three components: speed (a number 0–5), difficulty (red,white, or blue), and bearing (an arrow or other symbol). Each bearing is also defined with a direction, including straight, left, or right.

Its specifically referring to the symbol itself.