Blail Blerg

Discussion: What feeling/things do you get while enjoying Resistance?

4 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

Okay so what are the awing lists that are really good? 

Awing lists?

5A has several variations, and all have their pros and cons. Currently, a favorite is 54321 with intimidationZari. Others are 55411 or 55421, and some even go 54211. It's really up to taste.

Awing lists with fewer Awings are a bit tougher. XAAA is still played by some, but seems to do relatively bad. Some experiment with As and Fireballs. Personally I don't see it, but that's just me. And finally Rey with 2A works quite well, too, or ReyKaz Zizi if you go down to 1A. Apparently some try Vennie (or other bombers) with 1-2 Awings as well.

The TLDR is: it depends. What do you like, what are you good with, what do you want to avoid, etc.

Rey: oh ****, the nukes.  That's a rush.  I love the feeling of cheating.  Blanks?  Finn-Rose-Lock and reroll.  Stress?  Title and Korr Sella take care of that.  Yeah, she's fragile for what she is, but that's why I tend to run with....

T-70s: Absolute tanks.  With Heroic and either Optics or Hull, they just last, and keep getting shots, and wear stuff down.

Also a great pilot for that feeling of cheating: Cova Leia.  Oh, I'll just keep doing White Reverse every turn and have 8 health behind 2 Geroic Greens and Focus.

//

Dash and Corran and Wedge kind of do some nukes in Rebels; Luke and Han and Miranda do some tanks and quagmire.

4 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Okay so what are the awing lists that are really good? 

This one is the one I threw together for the SC. I didn't even have the 4th and 5th ships until the night before lol 😂. I liked it because of the 3i steps. I just don't think in hind sight it was the best. Especially because my final round was against another 5A list down by someone with a lot of practice. I won barely, 79-77, but it was my favorite game of the day. I didn't like this list because two of the three times I actually would have triggered Heroic ALL DAY, it was on my non hero generics lol 😅🤣 Ironically, despite his utter disagreement with my last post, @Flurpy was the one who pointed me in this direction a few days before that event. Guess I owe you a beer 😝

META THUG (199/200)
==================
RZ-2 A-Wing: Zizi Tlo (40 + 5)
    + Heroic (1)
    + Advanced Optics (4)
RZ-2 A-Wing: Tallissan Lintra (36 + 5)
    + Heroic (1)
    + Advanced Optics (4)
RZ-2 A-Wing: Greer Sonnel (36 + 5)
    + Heroic (1)
    + Advanced Optics (4)
RZ-2 A-Wing: Blue Squadron Recruit (32 + 4)
    + Advanced Optics (4)
RZ-2 A-Wing: Blue Squadron Recruit (32 + 4)
    + Advanced Optics (4)

The mirror match was only slightly different, swapping a Blue for Ronith, and dropping a Advanced Optics off the last Blue to get Heroic on everything. After the event he and I discussed the lists and realized we could have just done this:

META THUG EVOLVED (199/200)
==========================
RZ-2 A-Wing: Zizi Tlo (40 + 5)
    + Heroic (1)
    + Advanced Optics (4)
RZ-2 A-Wing: Greer Sonnel (36 + 5)
    + Heroic (1)
    + Advanced Optics (4)
RZ-2 A-Wing: Ronith Blario (34 + 5)
    + Heroic (1)
    + Advanced Optics (4)
RZ-2 A-Wing: Blue Squadron Recruit (32 + 5)
    + Heroic (1)
    + Advanced Optics (4)
RZ-2 A-Wing: Blue Squadron Recruit (32 + 5)
    + Heroic (1)
    + Advanced Optics (4)

This version got you all five with Heroic and Optics. Arguably a better pilot pool, but you are down an i5. He had missed having the last Optic, I had missed having the least two Heroic. So this was seen as a sorta median.

Hope it helps.

51 minutes ago, ForceSensitive said:

This version got you all five with Heroic and Optics. Arguably a better pilot pool, but you are down an i5. He had missed having the last Optic, I had missed having the least two Heroic. So this was seen as a sorta median.

Hmm. How important is the i5? 

Also does it matter which pilot abilities you use? or are they all about the same? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Blail Blerg said:

Also does it matter which pilot abilities you use? or are they all about the same? 

I would always fly Zizi and Greer with their cost to performance ratio right now. The rest are your preference/flavor. I don’t think the I5 on Tallie is worth that much, as her pilot ability doesn’t trigger as often as Ronith or Zari which are value adds. Or another BSR, which gives you two very effective blockers. The caveat to this is I’ve played against the archetype a few times and played a few variants, but I havent invested a lot of time into it. 

Edited by dsul413

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

I have to answer that partially overlapping both questions. The i5 itself is about the only good thing you get out of Talli. Her ability is subpar in any list, and the way a 5a list works by nature, it's next to useless, and risks being counter productive even with heroic. If it happens to proc, well, neat. But just getting a die isn't as good as other effects that just give you a result obviously. 

In HS meta, i5 is a really good spot to be. Many of the power players are a 5 or a 4. So you at least tie up the simul fire. Also why Greer is nice. Extended, can't say as much. For the list to have TWO ships at 5 is kinda nice because they only have that 2d prime. So getting two shots together at or close to the top of the order is great. Since you can't alpha well, you kinda have to group shot well.

The list doesn't really need or greatly benefit from the low I like some others do. Like, playing 5a is not as much of looking for a block as the list would suggest. It's more like a last ditch. Usually it's better to break away and turn the gun with focus into optics. It's why I initially didn't use Ronith and went for Talli. I really wanted to get a few init kills to keep my fragile butt in the game where I could.

On abilities, kinda. If your in extended then of course Lulo is great, but pricey. Zizi is one of my favorite strategy pieces in the whole game actually. He works great wherever he goes in initiative and it's fun to play with them on both sides of the bid. Ronith proved better in efficiency than I had imagined and caught me off guard. But once you've seen it, he almost becomes a two way pretrial trap. I fell for him in the first round and wasted a few shots, but then used him to tease a token off another target he didn't think I had a shot on for profit. Greer is just bonus actions and i4 so, money.

Generic wise, Between blues and greens, well, personally if I'm likely moving first, I just want to move first and be done with it. And if things get crazy and I do have a block, I want to make sure I got it. So I say the generics will always be better as a Blue.

Tldr: it's partly based on your meta, and preference. I'd wager the math and stats say the I is more important than the ability.

Edited by ForceSensitive
Spelling of my gawd my auto type hates me kill me now.

For the people interested in 5A there's this wonderful topic here. 

As this is a more general subject, I suggest we steer clear of specific list discussions. 

As for @ForceSensitive I once again disagree with most of what he said about the list and the game. I now eagerly await his multi paragraph response which I will joyful ignore. 

It seems so odd to have someone declare they will ignore you, and yet see them take the time to react-to all your posts, and also be first to tag you to initiate discussion out of the blue🤨🤔 It's very illogical and perplexing. I'm not sure what to make of this one really. And here I was offering a thank you brew. Well this is  awkward. 😐 But shhhhh. Don't tell them the thread author was the one who asked for specific lists. 😬🤫

55 minutes ago, ForceSensitive said:

Don't tell them the thread author was the one who asked for specific lists

I just want to point out the lists you mention were both also already in my post (55411 and 54211). I also disagree with your reasoning on many if not most points, but I don't want to derail the thread.

Posted (edited)

I think there's a big difference between ignoring game mechanics and simply shunting them

Resistance cannot really ignore stress indefinitely without shilling hard for Leia crew. Second edition made sure to hard cap everything, or to preserve Nien's stringent stress shedding conditions. Stuff like Black One can only be used once and the fireball has built-in risk 

Opening up the resistance player's options without turning into something like Dash or a first edition pwt while downplaying dice spikes is what makes player agency and interactions matter

The only time I'd say you remove player agency is when they either can't do stuff or the stuff they do doesn't matter. Even with movement shenanigans, I don't feel Resistance is any more obnoxious in the high I arcdodging department than stuff like Jedi or Soon-tier (heh) interceptor types 

Edited by ficklegreendice

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

I just want to point out the lists you mention were both also already in my post (55411 and 54211). I also disagree with your reasoning on many if not most points, but I don't want to derail the thread.

Quite right you did and cheers to that. I answered my own way by sharing two example lists that had gotten to a final round and fought over a top 4 spot with some notes as to the construction and experience, per the thread OP guidelines, and question at hand. Anyone can answer a question on a forum with their own thoughts. And in this case it was a reinforcement of your point. Evidence of the times we do agree.😁 If we all agreed on everything it would be a boring forum anyway. Hecken, we wouldn't even need a forum at that point lol. Then it wouldn't be a called a forum, but a group-think-tank! lol 😂

Edited by ForceSensitive

On 3/21/2020 at 7:04 PM, GreenDragoon said:

Apparently some try Vennie (or other bombers) with 1-2 Awings as well.

That dude is me.

Vennie Vidi Vici

(56) Vennie [MG-100 StarFortress]
(8) Perceptive Copilot
(7) Paige Tico
(10) Veteran Turret Gunner

(32) Blue Squadron Recruit [RZ-2 A-wing]

(29) Finn [Resistance Transport Pod]
(8) Perceptive Copilot
(1) Heroic
(4) Advanced Optics

(40) Zizi Tlo [RZ-2 A-wing]
(1) Heroic
(4) Advanced Optics

Total points: 200

If you invest in cutting through Vennie's ability, I die.

If you don't and go for the smaller ships first, you die.

I don't believe in I2 81pts PC + VTG Bomber. 
In fact I hardly believe in I1 70pts VTG bomber. Its expensive and the side arcs hit like wet noodles if you're not R1, which is hard to control. I like Paige though that's just neat. 

It's not going to win any tournaments, but let's face it, who's going to tournaments at the moment? It's been a lot of fun playing with against my son with, and mainly because of the high arc coverage between Vennie and the two A-Wings actually took apart his arc-dodging three Jedi list in a way my usual Resistance Salad list really struggled to do.

If you own the models it's nice to put them on the table.

We're not all trying to win Worlds ;).