Jump to content
Blail Blerg

Discussion: What feeling/things do you get while enjoying Resistance?

Recommended Posts

Ain't no judging here. 

Just getting into some alternate mindsets. I tend to not like Rebel or Resistance as much as Imp or FO. I'm also not interested in the Resistance show (which I'm sure plays a big deal here). So I've got 2 Bombers, 2 Falcons (old Falcon masquerading as new), 3 t-70s, 1 pod-transport, 1 Awing, 0 fireballs. 

What do you like about playing as Resistance? 

What are the Pièce de résistance? Is the faction fun without those (noting I have 1 Awing, and 0 fireballs). 

 

I did enjoy Rey falcon, but found it died pretty quickly. Res bomber seems too niche. I found the one action jousting pinwheel a little boring in theory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kinda have the feeling of a hotshot pilot that may or may not be out of his depths. Sometimes I make the best decision I possibly can, sometimes it goes up in fireballs. I definitely feel like I am the underdog when I play as them but man I got a lot of tricks, whether they are good is another question at times.

The more I fly Poe the more I think he could go down in some points but man he almost always tends to end up in my builds. The Falcon is a tricky ship and definitely not like the other falcons. Rey and Chewie are the stars of it, Chewie wants a bunch of teammates so that usually means a couple pods, As, or Fireballs. Rey hits hard, especially when kitted out with the title, Korr, Finn, Rose, and the such. Of course you need something to help draw the enemy's fire from Rey or someone to finish the fight after Rey dies. The As have been proven good, any of them can be amazing, if only bringing one depending on your preference Zizi, Lulu, Tallie, and Greer are the go-tos. The Bomber has some tricks but man the cost adds up fast if you bring that thing. The pod has some nice pilots, Finn can punch harder than a ship of his type usually can, BB-8 can be a nice blocker, Rose goes well in swarms, and Vi...sounds good on paper but have yet to try. The Transport is okay, Cova is the star and Nodin has some tricks with C3PO and Korr.

Some build ideas is the Falcon, Transport, and a A-wing, particularly Rey, Cova and Zizi/Lulo. Cova, Zizi, Jessika, and Bastian.

Also HEROIC!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite thing about the Resistance is it definitely feels like the 'big **** hero' team. From triumphantly shouting heroic to go from 0 evades to 3, to POEshing the limits while remembering the good parts of 1.0 to teamwork making the Dream work when Jess and/or Rose are flying tight with their buddies.

And who can forget the worlds' battlecry "ITS THE RESISTANCE!!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Poe is really cool and exactly what I want from a 2.0 i6 ace. All the Fireball pilots are cool to and a blast to play. Pods are neat besides VI. I never bring Heroic as a general rule to free up my preferred list options. I find my enjoyment of resistance improves greatly the less I build around RZ2As and Falcons. And the more I build 5-6 ship lists. Favorite by far is Poe + 5 Fire. Its what I want the faction to be about. 

Edited by Boom Owl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Resistance, despite being a tech faction, feels like a motley collection of hotrods and junkers all tuned up to have a fighting chance. Maneuverability is a big aspect with all but the bomber having some sort of movement shenanigans. It's not uncommon to have the entire squad able to boost/slam.

Support is pretty decent with a wild selection of upgrade slots allowing stuff such as Death Rey, InVencible, BO Burners PA Nien, Leia +BB8, etc.

Pricing feels fine now that the 26 pt Fireball and recent price drops. Named T70s could use a drop outside of Jess and Bastian. Bombers could go down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me the whole faction represents a kind of "reckless heroism" and rule breaking. The ships rely on the idea of plot armor - just charge at them, full speed ahead, and you'll be fine because those are the heroes of the story. And if they crash and burn then that, too, is a necessary part of the story. T70s, Rey, Finn and Fireballs represent that most. RZ2s do not entirely fit in with the rest because - for me - they require a bit more careful approaches. I know Ken disagrees, he plays them also very aggressively and it obviously works for him.

The second part, the "rule breaking", is mainly stress-related. And it's not actually breaking any rules of course, but Resistance requires a bit more knowledge. Resistance are heroes and heroes don't care about rules. Actions while stressed, double actions, extra dice everywhere. There are a things like the double coordinate from Nodin, Reygunner and Heroic, and so on. Resistance allows you to do things that are generally not allowed, and most are with stress. Korr Sella removes stress from debris, Leia opens up the dials of a ton of other ships, and so on.

 

The pricing is fine. Bombers are too expensive, but the huge amount of upgrades could also lead to weird combowing. Poe is a bit too expensive, but I think it's rather the other i6s that are too cheap. It would be great if Poe's price was a kind of baseline for the rest. The i5-i4 Awings are too cheap. The rest is at least ok I think, all at least within 1pt of where they probably should be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GreenDragoon said:

To me the whole faction represents a kind of "reckless heroism" and rule breaking. The ships rely on the idea of plot armor - just charge at them, full speed ahead, and you'll be fine because those are the heroes of the story. And if they crash and burn then that, too, is a necessary part of the story. T70s, Rey, Finn and Fireballs represent that most. RZ2s do not entirely fit in with the rest because - for me - they require a bit more careful approaches. I know Ken disagrees, he plays them also very aggressively and it obviously works for him.

The second part, the "rule breaking", is mainly stress-related. And it's not actually breaking any rules of course, but Resistance requires a bit more knowledge. Resistance are heroes and heroes don't care about rules. Actions while stressed, double actions, extra dice everywhere. There are a things like the double coordinate from Nodin, Reygunner and Heroic, and so on. Resistance allows you to do things that are generally not allowed, and most are with stress. Korr Sella removes stress from debris, Leia opens up the dials of a ton of other ships, and so on.

 

The pricing is fine. Bombers are too expensive, but the huge amount of upgrades could also lead to weird combowing. Poe is a bit too expensive, but I think it's rather the other i6s that are too cheap. It would be great if Poe's price was a kind of baseline for the rest. The i5-i4 Awings are too cheap. The rest is at least ok I think, all at least within 1pt of where they probably should be

Perfectly described. 

I would add that to me Resistance are the kings of the 40-50 points range. So many choices for 4 and 5 ship build its almost unfair. As someone who flew 4 ship efficiency before it was a thing with Rebels let alone Resistance, no other faction does it better. 

And on a completely unrelated note I like the gender/race make up of the faction. My primary Hyperspace list is 3 girls, an Asian dude and a black dude. Primary Extended is 3 girls, a black dude, an Asian dude and whatever the **** Lulu is. Not a single human white dude in sight. I know it's small and irrelevant but it's kinda neat compared to pretty much any other game system. 

Edited by Flurpy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, until we all got put into quarantine this was going to be a thing I was going to try:

Resistance Salad

(32) Logistics Division Pilot [Resistance Transport]
(2) R4 Astromech
Points: 34

(29) Finn [Resistance Transport Pod]
(8) Perceptive Copilot
(1) Heroic
Points: 38

(36) Tallissan Lintra [RZ-2 A-wing]
(1) Crack Shot
(1) Heroic
Points: 38

(44) Red Squadron Expert [T-70 X-wing]
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Heroic
Points: 45

(44) Red Squadron Expert [T-70 X-wing]
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Heroic
Points: 45

Total points: 200
 

The idea behind it was to get every small base ship chassis in a list. The t70s and Finn provide the beef in the list, as Finn is deceptively hard to push damage into. Tali was going to flank and be obnoxious, and the transport was going in largely as more hit points and a possible coordinate engine to Tali.

I actually really like the generic Red Squads with Heroic as a staple, though the named pilots offer unique abilities.

My other list was a modern take on “all the 5s” which used to be ridiculously cheap and highly kitted out before points changes. They’re not as bonkers now, but:

Resistance Aces

(36) Tallissan Lintra [RZ-2 A-wing]
(1) Crack Shot
(1) Heroic
Points: 38

(55) Ello Asty [T-70 X-wing]
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Heroic
Points: 56

(55) Nien Nunb [T-70 X-wing]
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Heroic
(5) Pattern Analyzer
Points: 61

(40) Zizi Tlo [RZ-2 A-wing]
(1) Heroic
(1) Crack Shot
Points: 42

Total points: 197
 

Before you jump and say “crack shot isn’t hyper legal!!” I don’t care. Our store championship was played out, I got my First Order punchboard (flying an FO list too), I no longer care about hyperspace. Even before it was cancelled I wasn’t going to Adepticon. My plan was playing for fun until the build up to Worlds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before the change to hyperspace I was enjoying running this (but without black one).

 

Cova Nell (38)    
    Heroic (1)    
    Leia Organa (Resistance) (17)    
    R4 Astromech (2)    
    
Ship total: 58  Half Points: 29  Threshold: 4    
    
Finn (29)    
    Heroic (1)    
    Perceptive Copilot (8)    
    
Ship total: 38  Half Points: 19  Threshold: 2    
    
Greer Sonnel (36)    
    Heroic (1)    
    Advanced Optics (4)    
    
Ship total: 41  Half Points: 21  Threshold: 2    
    
Nien Nunb (55)    
    Heroic (1)    
    Integrated S-Foils (0)    
    Pattern Analyzer (5)    
    Black One (2)    
    
Ship total: 63  Half Points: 32  Threshold: 4    
    
    
Total: 200

 

Loads of cool tricks, mainly revolving around Leia and/or coordinating.

 

Since the change to hyperspace I've been running Beefcake.

4 red squadron vets with heroic and hull upgrade, one of the best all comers lists. 4 ships of the same pilot skill is nice, plus they are surprisingly resilient.

Heroic is without a doubt the best 1 point ept in hyperspace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to be clear, I'm not a professional 'quote maker'. I'm just a Resistance teenager who greatly values his intelligence and scientific fact over any silly Sith fiction book written 3,500 years ago. This being said, I am open to any and all criticism.

'In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony Emperor's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The resistance is all about movement shenanigans + heroic to ward of flub dice. It's as faithful to the core "game part of the game" of xwing as possible, favoring player agency over rng

Therefore, most fun!

 

Examples of movement shenanigans:

Transport dial + crew

Awing "aux arc" opening up manuever possibilities

Pilots such as Wexly, Nien, and Ello

Mf title 

The fireball...in its entirety

Edited by ficklegreendice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

The resistance is all about movement shenanigans + heroic to ward of flub dice. It's as faithful to the core "game part of the game" of xwing as possible, favoring player agency over rng

Haha wow I completely disagree :D

The stress shenanigans and ignoring of core facts removes agency from the opponent if anything and is pretty much unfaithful to the core of the game imo. Interesting how our perception is different

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

Haha wow I completely disagree :D

The stress shenanigans and ignoring of core facts removes agency from the opponent if anything and is pretty much unfaithful to the core of the game imo. Interesting how our perception is different

Another interesting difference in perception is the removal of agency. Unless it’s through the use of an overt control mechanic such as tractor beams, ion, or (to a somewhat lesser extent) bumping, I don’t see much of anything that I consider a loss of agency. Someone who was out maneuvered by an ace had full control over his decisions and actions. That player exercised his agency to position, while the opposing player exercised theirs to avoid the shot. 
Where as you might see an ace as taken something by its mobility, I see an extra layer that I must plan and anticipate for, making the game more interesting. I would way more prefer facing off against Imp or Jedi Aces than the likes of say Rebel Beef in their prime. 
Now, if you perceive those kind of movement and mechanical freedoms as removing a player’s agency, I can understand a poor view of them. I myself am rather against what I view as the killer of agency, control mechanics. I don’t like flying against them and tend to avoid incorporating them into my lists. I just have a different view on what actually removes player agency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feelings? Mostly just a bit of bile in the back of my throat when I remember the sequel movie atrocities.

That aside, 5x Rz2s is real good, got 3rd at the SC with no practice. They're kinda a problem while also being something that holds the rest of the problem children in check to me.

Res bomber is a for-display-only right now.

Everything else just floats in the middle awkwardly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ForceSensitive said:

Feelings? Mostly just a bit of bile in the back of my throat when I remember the sequel movie atrocities.

That aside, 5x Rz2s is real good, got 3rd at the SC with no practice. They're kinda a problem while also being something that holds the rest of the problem children in check to me.

Res bomber is a for-display-only right now.

Everything else just floats in the middle awkwardly. 

I disagree with everything in this post but to each their own 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SabineKey said:

Another interesting difference in perception is the removal of agency.

I'm sorry, I was not very clear, but it looks like you understood me anyway. I didn't think of complete removal, only reduction. The part where I might have misunderstood @ficklegreendice is our understanding of "agency". When I hear agency then I think of the interaction between the two players. I agree that Resistance gives the Resistance player a ton to do. There are plenty choices, and in that sense the agency is increased. My understanding of agency however is from the opponent's perspective. How much can he influence the choices? Resistance does not care too much about the actions of the opponent, and in that sense the agency is reduced. Precisely because of all the extra movement, all those boosts and opened dials, can you often do a great maneuver and your opponent has a harder time to influence these choices. The great movement options are by the way precisely why I love Resistance.

To my understanding, being faithful to that core of the game means to follow the rules, to be affected by stress, to take one action. Resistance is pretty far removed from that, and that's why I said I disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

I'm sorry, I was not very clear, but it looks like you understood me anyway. I didn't think of complete removal, only reduction. The part where I might have misunderstood @ficklegreendice is our understanding of "agency". When I hear agency then I think of the interaction between the two players. I agree that Resistance gives the Resistance player a ton to do. There are plenty choices, and in that sense the agency is increased. My understanding of agency however is from the opponent's perspective. How much can he influence the choices? Resistance does not care too much about the actions of the opponent, and in that sense the agency is reduced. Precisely because of all the extra movement, all those boosts and opened dials, can you often do a great maneuver and your opponent has a harder time to influence these choices. The great movement options are by the way precisely why I love Resistance.

To my understanding, being faithful to that core of the game means to follow the rules, to be affected by stress, to take one action. Resistance is pretty far removed from that, and that's why I said I disagree.

Interesting. When I think of agency, I tend to be more concerned with the individual rather than the complicated relationship between players. To my eyes, the whole point of the game is for my actions and decisions to somehow benefit me more than my opponent’s own actions and decisions. Even when boiled down to just the core, both players must make the best decisions they can conceive, and one (usually) comes out ahead. I don’t see things like added mobility and increased resistance  (heh) to negative tokens as subverting those decisions, but rather adding variables to consider and as an evolution of the core gameplay. In fact, as I have eluded to before, I would much more prefer to play against those kinds of ships because I find it more interesting and more rewarding. True, if I’m using a less mobile list, there is a higher risk to being outflown, but the satisfaction for when I do win against such lists is worth the risk. 
 

I thank you for your explanation of your point of view. It’s given me a better understanding of the wonderfully diverse way this game can be viewed and played. 
 

***
Another good point of this discussion is that it gave me a clearer answer for the main topic of this thread.

What I get when flying Resistance (at least the Resistance lists I fly) is feelings of individuality and self-reliance. It’s a ragtag team of individuals coming together. And even if you remove one, the others are still more than capable of continuing the fight. Even with something homogeneous like 5As give me this as even if I’m down to one blue squadee left, I still feel I have a plucky little pilot who through careful planning, execution, and luck, I can still give my opponent a run for their money.

This is part of the reason I’ve never been that big into support ships or the CIS in general. I’ll dabble, but when push comes to shove, I’ll take a group of heroic misfits over a polished army most days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, KCDodger said:

The Resistance is great for Heroic + Advanced Optics, especially if you like A-Wings.

FFG says, "Screw you if you like anything else though, nerd."

Not at all :)

There are so many cool resistance lists right now, that also do very well at large events. Rey Kaz and Cova/Zizi, Poe and 3Rookies, the jouster list with Cova Jess Bastian and Kaz. They are all amazing lists!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

Not at all :)

There are so many cool resistance lists right now, that also do very well at large events. Rey Kaz and Cova/Zizi, Poe and 3Rookies, the jouster list with Cova Jess Bastian and Kaz. They are all amazing lists!

Maybe I'm just jaded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...