Hello. I finally opened my box and started playing single player versus AI. 

In the single player rules for buying it states , “The AI player can only buy when it is on a planet.”

On the AI Player Turn cards, the encounter step tells the AI to spend credits to gain fame.  I.e. - “Spend 8000 to gain 1 fame.”

Does AI only spend to get fame when on a planet or does that occur on a nag point also?  I have not been able to find official clarification. 

As you have stated, the "spend to gain fame" instruction is during the Encounter Step.  This is not a Market Action during the Action Step and does not require the AI to be on a planet.  Think of it as the AI player encountering a situation that costed him some credits but also awarded him some fame.

4 hours ago, dwaynedauzat said:

As you have stated, the "spend to gain fame" instruction is during the Encounter Step.  This is not a Market Action during the Action Step and does not require the AI to be on a planet.  Think of it as the AI player encountering a situation that costed him some credits but also awarded him some fame.

Thank you Dwaynedauzat.  My first game had the AI rocket up fame several turns in a row.  Just seemed over powered and when I went back to the rules I wasn't sure about buying versus spending.