Cpt ObVus

Will we need kits for these?

My play partner did some online shopping and grabbed us a StarViper, IG-88, a YT-2400, and the pack of Interceptor Aces that has the Royal Guard and Saber Squad Interceptors. I’m pretty sure he wasn’t paying attention to whether these were 1.0 or 2.0... but unless I miss my guess, none of these are 2.0 yet, right? Will the Conversion Kits for Scum, Rebs, and Empire cover what we need to cover? Thanks.

1 hour ago, Cpt ObVus said:

My play partner did some online shopping and grabbed us a StarViper, IG-88, a YT-2400, and the pack of Interceptor Aces that has the Royal Guard and Saber Squad Interceptors. I’m pretty sure he wasn’t paying attention to whether these were 1.0 or 2.0... but unless I miss my guess, none of these are 2.0 yet, right? Will the Conversion Kits for Scum, Rebs, and Empire cover what we need to cover? Thanks.

Yes, though not all of the Starviper and Tie Interceptor pilots were converted to 2.0.

2 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

Get all three.  You’ll save lots of money over time.  1.0 ships are widely available (except the Imperial Alpha class Star Wing) so you can get them for half the price as a 2.0 reprint.  best decision I made in the game was to buy the conversion kits.

Have you actually played a game yet?

You're asking all these questions in multiple threads all over the boards, and buying what at this stage looks to be a metric ****ton of content but do you actually know yet if you even like the game?

Honestly, just slow down a bit. My first recommendation to people looking to get into X-Wing is to just get the core set and play with that until you've exhausted all the options (play as both sides, use generic and named pilots, try with upgrades and without) and learned the rules a little better. Have you even done that?

Then you get just enough ships to get your head around list building and play until you've learned how your lists work on the board. 

You'll find you'll start answering a lot more of these questions for yourself if you actually sit down, play the game a bit and do your own research through the Rules Reference and FAQ when issues come up. You'll also find you start to get an idea of play styles you like, what elements of a list you like and what sort of ship you like - that will help you make your own decisions about where to go when you want something new. 

6 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

Have you actually played a game yet?

You're asking all these questions in multiple threads all over the boards, and buying what at this stage looks to be a metric ****ton of content but do you actually know yet if you even like the game?

Honestly, just slow down a bit. My first recommendation to people looking to get into X-Wing is to just get the core set and play with that until you've exhausted all the options (play as both sides, use generic and named pilots, try with upgrades and without) and learned the rules a little better. Have you even done that?

Then you get just enough ships to get your head around list building and play until you've learned how your lists work on the board. 

You'll find you'll start answering a lot more of these questions for yourself if you actually sit down, play the game a bit and do your own research through the Rules Reference and FAQ when issues come up. You'll also find you start to get an idea of play styles you like, what elements of a list you like and what sort of ship you like - that will help you make your own decisions about where to go when you want something new. 

Um, no, thank you? I prefer my method.

Yes, we played. Yes, we like it. It’s pretty much what we expected. The questions I asked helped immensely; the community guided us very well, and the questions that arose during the game had mostly been answered in advance, or I’d gotten a good idea of how to solve them. 

The questions I’ve asked regarding ships and versions and conversions and upgrades are helping me create a more cohesive buying strategy for our group. We pool resources, to an extent. Everyone has different factions that interest them, so I’m trying to dig in a bit and help get them enough of the right kinds of ships to make a decent list from. Plus they’re grabbing stuff here and there on their own, and I’m trying to figure out how to make it relevant.

Also, we’re veteran gamers. We don’t really do Core Sets, particularly after experiencing the poor balance present in the Armada Core (oh, all I have to do is get behind the VSD and I win? Interesting.).

So... you do you? :)

22 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

If you havn't already, I do suggest getting the Second Edition core set. Aside from the 3 fighters (2x /Ln and 1 T-65) there are a couple of pilots and upgrades you cannot get otherwise unless you hit up Ebay.

Oh, we bought the Core. We just weren’t going to waste time kicking an X-Wing and two TIEs around the board. We played a full 200 point game, and it went very well!

12 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

If you havn't already, I do suggest getting the Second Edition core set. Aside from the 3 fighters (2x /Ln and 1 T-65) there are a couple of pilots and upgrades you cannot get otherwise unless you hit up Ebay.

Among the many reasons to buy the Core set, cards are not one of them in a world of mandatory online squad builders... Especially in a group of friendship context. 

On 3/16/2020 at 11:42 PM, NilsTillander said:

Among the many reasons to buy the Core set, cards are not one of them in a world of mandatory online squad builders... Especially in a group of friendship context. 

very true core would be fore damage deck asteroids dice and movement templates