TauntaunScout

It is the eternal struggle

Stuff like tgis always bring nostalgia for me. Me and my brothers huddled over a worn out catalog imagining what could be...them realizing i would never be able to afford any of it or find it in the store. It was always in the catalog at Christmas, but not always in the store. For all the complaints about distribution on this forum, its 1000 times better than what it used to be in the 80s

3 hours ago, Vector Strike said:

The difference for dewbacks in snow is that they have ice cream instead of drinks when they lick each other's back in the morning!

Where does the cream part come from? (Sorry, science teacher here)

1 hour ago, smickletz said:

Where does the cream part come from? (Sorry, science teacher here)

Dewbacks' hide normally collect moisture from the desert's night and then they lick each other's back in the morning to get some water.

I used the same principle to make my joke, but with the winter's moisture at night - making liquid water into snow; hence, ice cream!

---

If we follow practical science, dewbacks would freeze to death in a planet like Hoth and their backs would collect ice, not snow... but SW is everything but practical 😉

At the start I really thought it would be illusion shattering to have mixes of units on the "wrong" planet, or with bases of different terrain. TBH now having played endor based units, tauntauns and snowtroopers on Tatooine it really doesn't matter one bit. 

PS I love when people paint minis with the action figure pallettes

13 hours ago, buckero0 said:

Stuff like tgis always bring nostalgia for me. Me and my brothers huddled over a worn out catalog imagining what could be...them realizing i would never be able to afford any of it or find it in the store. It was always in the catalog at Christmas, but not always in the store. For all the complaints about distribution on this forum, its 1000 times better than what it used to be in the 80s

Yeah. I used to ask for pretty humble SW things and not get them because they simply couldn't be found.

52 minutes ago, Alan Noir said:

At the start I really thought it would be illusion shattering to have mixes of units on the "wrong" planet, or with bases of different terrain. TBH now having played endor based units, tauntauns and snowtroopers on Tatooine it really doesn't matter one bit. 

PS I love when people paint minis with the action figure pallettes

I base all my Legion armies for Tatooine. Because it's the most comprehensive (and nostalgic) terrain system I own.

Back in WEG days, the very limited poses and such, meant that we used basing as a means of distinguishing squads. So you'd have a squad of stormtroopers on green bases, a squad on grey bases, and a squad on yellow bases, for example.

14 hours ago, buckero0 said:

Yeah, I mostly had the basic Star Wars stuff: an x-wing, Vader's tie, landspeeder, dewback. I had the Hoth playset, but the absolute best Star Wars toy I had was the Death Star play set. That thing was seriously cool. 

9 minutes ago, Djaskim609 said:

Yeah, I mostly had the basic Star Wars stuff: an x-wing, Vader's tie, landspeeder, dewback. I had the Hoth playset, but the absolute best Star Wars toy I had was the Death Star play set. That thing was seriously cool. 

My brother and I loaded up on Endor. To this day he still has two Ewok villages and the Battle Wagon.

4 hours ago, Djaskim609 said:

One of these days I wanna get an engineer friend to help me build this.

btMh34G.jpg

7 hours ago, Vector Strike said:

Dewbacks' hide normally collect moisture from the desert's night and then they lick each other's back in the morning to get some water.

I used the same principle to make my joke, but with the winter's moisture at night - making liquid water into snow; hence, ice cream!

---

If we follow practical science, dewbacks would freeze to death in a planet like Hoth and their backs would collect ice, not snow... but SW is everything but practical 😉

Oh, I get the ice and snow, just not the cream part. 

11 hours ago, Vector Strike said:

The original ice cream was snow + fruit stuff 

It wasn't called ice cream, though. Because there was no cream involved.

And for a sorbet (or whatever you want to call it) there'd be the question of where the "fruit stuff" comes from on the dewbacks' backs. Is their dew always flavored? Does it taste like human sweat?

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, twincast said:

And for a sorbet (or whatever you want to call it) there'd be the question of where the "fruit stuff" comes from on the dewbacks' backs. Is their dew always flavored? Does it taste like human sweat?

You must be fun at parties...

6 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

There’s probably no dew forming in the morning on Hoth.

Frostbacks. 

That's the spirit!

Edited by Vector Strike

13 hours ago, twincast said:

Where do you think the fruit honeydew got its crazy name?

It's the flavor most similar to the flavor produced when moisture settles on a dewback's back. Duh.

That flavor should remain fairly constant no matter which planet, as long as the moisture collecting is actual water vapor and not some sort of toxic atmosphere like some planets I could name (looking at you, Venus).

Whether it's liquid or solid, honeydew is the flavor for you.

So cut @Vector Strike a little slack. In some neighborhoods if you don't call sorbet "ice cream", people might think you're high-falutin and thrash ya.

...How did I get stuck arguing a point somebody else made?

6 hours ago, Sekac said:

Where do you think the fruit honeydew got its crazy name?

It's the flavor most similar to the flavor produced when moisture settles on a dewback's back. Duh.

That flavor should remain fairly constant no matter which planet, as long as the moisture collecting is actual water vapor and not some sort of toxic atmosphere like some planets I could name (looking at you, Venus).

Whether it's liquid or solid, honeydew is the flavor for you.

I'm happy to take this as an in-universe explanation. But just for the record, real world honeydew is insect poo. (So naming a melon after it is really strange.)

On 3/15/2020 at 2:36 PM, TauntaunScout said:

One of these days I wanna get an engineer friend to help me build this.

btMh34G.jpg

What is this?!? Have the Jawa's entered outer space and invaded this poor trading station?

5 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

What is this?!? Have the Jawa's entered outer space and invaded this poor trading station?

And just think. There’s probably about a dozen vinyl caped jawas there. Somebody at Woman’s Day coulda struck it rich if they kept them.