Jump to content
Galak Fyyar

The tale of Imperial Assault is not done!

Recommended Posts

As a skirmish player, I'm pretty happy with IA being the golden child and single focus of the IACP right now and would not be excited to see IA going back to being the red-headed step-child of FFG Organized Play, and getting scant updates or communication from them. We have actual release dates and map rotation dates scheduled out over a year in advance, there's no way FFG would be able to commit to something like that. 

I know it's different for campaign players though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i feel like im a bit confused. the app has content for all the expansions?  and has 5 mission or so campaigns based on the content.  

 

is the conclusion, that they are not the same as the campaign books and the same length?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spidey NZ said:

i feel like im a bit confused. the app has content for all the expansions?  and has 5 mission or so campaigns based on the content. 

The app has a tutorial and campaign for the core, another for Return to Hoth, and a third for Jabba's Realm. The other expansions don't add campaigns, you get some heroes, enemies and items.

If you already own Heart of the Empire, cool the minimal inclusion is better than nothing. But if you're buying into Imperial Assault just for app play a $60 expansion for the minimal support it currently gets 🙄

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, El_Lalotreto said:

Yeah like @Bucho said: Minimal Inclusion.

If you had a campaign, HotE would be maximally supported. Remove one thing and it then suddenly becomes minimally supported. Is there only 3 levels of support? (None, minimal, maximum)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After the new Descent box being shown yesterday, I now believe that the reveal on tomorrow's stream will be more Descent, possibly 3.0 (as the box looked huge), so we'll be left wondering for another load of months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

everyone saw the Descent CUBE.  I'll post my thoughts below...

 

evidence backing first ...

"Tale of Imperial Assault Isn't Over" = more physical content eventually 
though, again, sales of IA core box are still strong

IA = Descent 3rd edition (it carried over most of the same gameplay)

however, Descent 2nd was a bit of a departure from 1st.  As 2nd focused primarily on the tactics portion that's the core of IA

 

my conclusion...

Descent CUBE is going to de-emphasize the tactics aspect of the dungeon crawl (tile spaces) probably in favor of room areas.  It'll bring back some of the overworld travel sections of 1st edition (if you've played JiME - that same vibe)

Descent's gameplay shift would then allow IA to reside comfortably by itself in that tactics arena.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, thinkbomb said:

everyone saw the Descent CUBE.  I'll post my thoughts below...

 

evidence backing first ...

"Tale of Imperial Assault Isn't Over" = more physical content eventually 
though, again, sales of IA core box are still strong

IA = Descent 3rd edition (it carried over most of the same gameplay)

however, Descent 2nd was a bit of a departure from 1st.  As 2nd focused primarily on the tactics portion that's the core of IA

 

my conclusion...

Descent CUBE is going to de-emphasize the tactics aspect of the dungeon crawl (tile spaces) probably in favor of room areas.  It'll bring back some of the overworld travel sections of 1st edition (if you've played JiME - that same vibe)

Descent's gameplay shift would then allow IA to reside comfortably by itself in that tactics arena.

I think whatever we get going forward is going to look more like Legends of the Dark, JiME, and Arkham games than IA. That is to say, it'll be app based.

With Descent, Lord of the Rings, and Arkham all having games with pretty robust apps, Star Wars is looking like the odd man out, and FFG seems more willing to make new editions of things than we thought. 

Here's my prediction: By the end of 2021, we get an announcement about either a new app-driven edition of Imperial Assault, or we get an app-driven Clone Wars box, or one product that does both. It'll likely incorporate elements from the original IA and expansions in some capacity. 

The drought is gonna be a long while, but something is coming eventually. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pollux85 said:

I think whatever we get going forward is going to look more like Legends of the Dark, JiME, and Arkham games than IA. That is to say, it'll be app based.

With Descent, Lord of the Rings, and Arkham all having games with pretty robust apps, Star Wars is looking like the odd man out, and FFG seems more willing to make new editions of things than we thought. 

Here's my prediction: By the end of 2021, we get an announcement about either a new app-driven edition of Imperial Assault, or we get an app-driven Clone Wars box, or one product that does both. It'll likely incorporate elements from the original IA and expansions in some capacity. 

The drought is gonna be a long while, but something is coming eventually. 

Sounds reasonable. I also think apps are the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Cavkov said:

Sounds reasonable. I also think apps are the future.

I don't. If I wanted to play a videogame, I'd play a videogame. I want to play a board game.

If the app is what does it for people, I certainly don't want to stop their fun, so carry on with the app as an option, sure; but me, I enjoy playing as the Imperial player, I enjoy playing board games, I enjoy playing with a group of five (which is the size of our group). An app-driven edition of IA would be worthless to me and us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/3/2020 at 10:13 AM, Bitterman said:

I don't. If I wanted to play a videogame, I'd play a videogame. I want to play a board game.

If the app is what does it for people, I certainly don't want to stop their fun, so carry on with the app as an option, sure; but me, I enjoy playing as the Imperial player, I enjoy playing board games, I enjoy playing with a group of five (which is the size of our group). An app-driven edition of IA would be worthless to me and us.

its a little different than playing a video game.  A video game is a self contained gameplay loop with everything you need build into the software. These Apps for boardgames seem to be companion apps, helping enhance your play, you still have to get all the components, miniatures and the tiles out.  I do enjoy playing the App as a Hero player as im usually the imperial player.

I have built a couple of compainion Apps for boards games soley with this purpose.  not to take away.  but enhance.

Edited by Spidey NZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bitterman said:

I don't. If I wanted to play a videogame, I'd play a videogame. I want to play a board game.

If the app is what does it for people, I certainly don't want to stop their fun, so carry on with the app as an option, sure; but me, I enjoy playing as the Imperial player, I enjoy playing board games, I enjoy playing with a group of five (which is the size of our group). An app-driven edition of IA would be worthless to me and us.

I actually think the app is super fun.  It's a guide for co-operative play, and it can add a challenge by making modifications to existing units.  I also enjoy the stories and the non-combat tests that make my characters feel like they are transiting between battlefields in a more organic, story driven way.  I accept your premise, but I must defend, the app is not a video game.  It requires you to have board out in front of you and playing the game as intended.  It's also great when I don't have anyone around who wants to play.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 there will always be a dogmatic hatred of app assisted board games.  That's unavoidable - even if most of the time the person comes across as "Sam I Am" vs Green Eggs and Ham

When done correctly, apps basically just remove up all the upkeep.  Biggest example is Mansions of Madness second edition: is just a digital GM conversion of the first edition ... and there was a MOUNTAIN of tokens it replaced.  I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. 

...

Being said, where IA shines brightest is the amount of control that the imperial player has over the campaign - and the fact that the imp doesn't have to pull punches in order for the game to be fun.  Most other 1vMany games can have the feeling of DickGM when the 1 plays to win.

Unsurprisingly, about the only game I'm aware of where it worked liked this was D2e, which IA is the same blood. 

...

Ergo, back to original guess...

IA can keep the primary emphasis on the head to head campaign since its one of the only games like it.

Descent (it's blood brother) can get pushed into its new form (whatever that may be)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, thinkbomb said:

there will always be a dogmatic hatred of app assisted board games.  That's unavoidable - even if most of the time the person comes across as "Sam I Am" vs Green Eggs and Ham

Where do you see the 'dogmatic' in any critique for the app-based gameplay here in this thread?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2020 at 5:27 AM, thinkbomb said:

 there will always be a dogmatic hatred of app assisted board games.  That's unavoidable - even if most of the time the person comes across as "Sam I Am" vs Green Eggs and Ham

 

I like physical things, thats why I play boardgames in the first place. Apps are ok in my book as long as they are not mandatory since they defeat the purpose in my case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...