Sign in to follow this  
Tokra

Bye bye Worlds (now for all)

Posted (edited)

It'll be interesting, how FFG will cope with this. Will reserved seats and sponsored flights be kept for a later event? Are they simply lost?  Really too bad, @tokra won't get a chance to defend his title.

Edited by NewGandhi

It is big shame but in current situation I'm not surprised. I only regret as it supposed to be my first and perhaps last Worlds, as traveling from Europe is quite significant effort.

Next Worlds in Europe anyone? :)

2 hours ago, Marzaums said:

I will be surpsied if adepticon still runs. I waiting for the news to cancel my trip.  Here is the latest.

Only good they extended the time for the cancellation of the Adepticon. At least i can get back the money from this.

It is not even the procedure what and how it is being done (closing the border). I am way more pissed about this attitude. "We are great" "we are fine" "we do not have this problems (because we are not testing for SARS-CoV-2...".

Especially Trump. Even after being in contact with someone, who has Corona, he refuses to being testet. With the statement: I feel fine, there is no need to being tested.
This is by far the most selfish attitude and most stupid statement he ever made. And this clearly shows the lack of understanding how a virus works. if you are not being tested, there is no way to be positv. Great way to control the numbers.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tokra said:

Only good they extended the time for the cancellation of the Adepticon. At least i can get back the money from this.

It is not even the procedure what and how it is being done (closing the border). I am way more pissed about this attitude. "We are great" "we are fine" "we do not have this problems (because we are not testing for SARS-CoV-2...".

Especially Trump. Even after being in contact with someone, who has Corona, he refuses to being testet. With the statement: I feel fine, there is no need to being tested.
This is by far the most selfish attitude and most stupid statement he ever made. And this clearly shows the lack of understanding how a virus works. if you are not being tested, there is no way to be positv. Great way to control the numbers.

the position of his most stupid is hotly contested...oh Tokra how I would love to discuss this man and his current performance relating to Sars CoV-2, but I force myself to respect this Forum is a US one and about a game.

Edited by NebulonB

This might be a little controversial but I think a world championship where people from many countries are prohibited from enterhing is not really a world championship. It's just a big tournament. I don't think that this tournament should be recognized by us as a world championship and I don't think the winner should be recognized as the new world champion. If the travel ban stays in place and the tournament is not postponed at the very least I will continue to see @Tokra as the current world champion and not whoever wins the upcoming tournament.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LordCola said:

This might be a little controversial but I think a world championship where people from many countries are prohibited from enterhing is not really a world championship. It's just a big tournament. I don't think that this tournament should be recognized by us as a world championship and I don't think the winner should be recognized as the new world champion. If the travel ban stays in place and the tournament is not postponed at the very least I will continue to see @Tokra as the current world champion and not whoever wins the upcoming tournament.

The Armada equivalent of the Year of Three Popes?

whoops. I mean the equivalent of the Western Schism of Armada?

Edited by Church14

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Marzaums said:

I will be surpsied if adepticon still runs. I waiting for the news to cancel my trip.  Here is the latest.

Everything coming out of Adepticon presently is strongly signaling that they'll be canceling the con (side note: we've got Coronavirus confirmed in the western burbs just to the south of Schaumburg so it's not just a matter of "who is coming to the con from far away that might have it" anymore). They just need to get all involved parties lined up before they officially pull the trigger but I'm expecting it will officially be canceled by next week. Maybe even sooner. They've offered a store credit refund to anyone who cancels prior to the 20th, but I'm expecting an outright canceled con will be a direct reimbursement to anyone who hasn't canceled yet. Worst case it would be the same con credit as you'd get for canceling manually, I imagine.

I don't think there will be a Worlds this year. All the alternative venues to hold it have the same risks as Adepticon and the possible hosts are understandably reluctant to assume that kind of liability. Coronavirus is expected to be a problem for 12-18 months at this point so even if it does somehow pan out earlier than expected, it won't pan out before the next Primes season begins. Maybe I'll be wrong on that one.

Edited by Snipafist

5 hours ago, LordCola said:

Eh

That never stopped America in the past...

The World Series, anyone?

Posted (edited)

Very soon everything that is not necessary will be stopping anyway. This covid19 pandemic  is now almost inevitably going to be what us in the trade have always been worried about. It’s not the end of the world, but it’s going to hurt and none of us are going to forget this year.

Most nations will gradually get to a point where a good percent of the population is either off sick, self isolating, looking after their children/elderly relatives, grieving or having to work all hours in support of vital services. 

Its a numbers game that is horrible to contemplate.We are looking at 70%-80%of the population getting this with a mortality rate of 1% and around 10% being hospitalised/ ventilated. In the UK that’s around potentially 50 million people getting it and needing to isolate, 7 ish million needing hospital admission/ventilation and many hundreds of thousands dying. 

we are staring at an event that will compare to the Spanish flu, no one will be going to competitions having holidays or even going to shop evenings..... 

Edited by player3691565
Spelling

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Tokra said:

Thank to your great leader, there are quite a few player who will not be able attend on the worlds this year.

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-11-20-intl-hnk/index.html

I don't expect Adepticon to happen at this point. Even those of us inside the U.S. are increasingly coming to the opinion that canceling is the responsible thing to do, as much as we really don't want to. Many states are announcing bans on gatherings of 250+ people starting today. Illinois was reportedly mulling such a ban yesterday. It's only a matter of time I think.

Edited by Truthiness

19 hours ago, Tokra said:

First of all, that guy can go on NOT getting tested all he wants. Hopefully he declines treatment for too long as well.

Secondly, I’m about 94% certain that was just idiotic tough guy talk. He probably said that ten minutes after the White House doctor tested him for it. Remember: Trump idolizes Vladimir Putin, a guy who posts pictures of himself riding horses bare chested, and claims to have wrestled tigers. It’s just stupid macho posturing.

7 hours ago, shmitty said:

Well @Tokra, since we no longer have free trips to Adepticon should we ask FFGOP to send us somewhere else for an exhibition match?

I hope it will be still be useable for the next worlds. 

2 minutes ago, Tokra said:

I hope it will be still be useable for the next worlds

Imperial Assault won't get another Worlds. This was going to be the last event for them, so hopefully FFG move it to Minnesota later in the year.