Sturn

Geneys moving to Edge

In case you are only a Genesys fan and don't visit the other forums, there was an announcement that FFG's RPGs will be transitioned to Edge Studio (aka Edge Entertainment?). It looks like Edge was absorbed by Asmodee in 2017, so not an actual sale just a re-structure?

https://imgur.com/DAK3m3X

What are the names, who are the developers?

Couldn't care less about the "studio" at this point.

Other than it's not good that it's very hard to tell if EDGE-whatever (Studio, or Entertainment) has ever actually created their own RPG or content before...

A little hard to get too excited about what's happened.

Ok, the brands continue on. What about the original vision, spirit, and quality?

Hope to continue seeing more good news, but this is a completely lateral development from where things were, IMO, based on debacles elsewhere in the industry as licensees get shuffled (looking at you CGL)...

It still raises alot of questions honestly.  Though it's nice to see there is some plan for continuation, and if GeneSYS is going to continue that means there's probably no scare of the Foundry going away.  I'm concerned about L5R where the roster of writers working the fictions and RPG materials have been well established and are liked by the community.  I hope they still get tapped to contribute to the RPG materials.

1 hour ago, c__beck said:

The English website is now up for Edge Studios.

They talk about continuing all the FFG RPGs, so this is indeed good new. But why the frick couldn't they have said anything earlier? I mean, c'mon, I know they suck at communication but this is next-level keep-em-in-the-dark BS.

For better or for worse (we all know that, in this case, it’s worse), it was most likely that they were absolutely intent on the announcement being at GAMA, and proverbial chips falling in the meantime be d@mned.

15 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

For better or for worse (we all know that, in this case, it’s worse), it was most likely that they were absolutely intent on the announcement being at GAMA, and proverbial chips falling in the meantime be d@mned.

Said insistence is weird, given that some really nasty rumors (end of 3 RPG lines) were flying around unchallenged for weeks. I don't see the logic in it.

Posted (edited)

This is good news I think from a consumer standpoint. We'll still get new stuff, maybe I'll see Tannhauser after all! I hope they hire some of the people who were laid off, even if it is only as freelancers.

I have found that a lot of my favorite RPG work is being done by Europeans lately so hopefully there's some talent sharing going on. (Free League and Modiphius in particular has yet to make a game I dislike.)

Edited by Riggswolfe

2 hours ago, emsquared said:

Other than it's not good that it's very hard to tell if EDGE-whatever (Studio, or Entertainment) has ever actually created their own RPG or content before...

EDGE published the original Spanish language versions of The End of the World RPGs that FFG reworked into English, AFAIK.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, sfRattan said:

EDGE published the original Spanish language versions of The End of the World RPGs that FFG reworked into English, AFAIK.

I looked into the original system that EotW was based off of when the line was first announced (if I recall it was called "El Fin del Mundo"), and I may be remembering incorrectly here, but what I recall is that it was created/developed by basically a single person in or from Mexico.

I don't doubt that Edge published/printed it, but again I don't think they developed it.

Could be wrong, as that was years ago. But I may have a PDF of it somewhere in a HD of the PC I was using at the time...

EDIT: In googling around for info, found this:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/11/12/the-task-before-you/

Sounds like it was "their Spanish partners", after all.

Edited by emsquared

Additionally I notice that the upcoming Zombicide RPG is also listed on the Temp site, which of course is an IP owned by CMoN/ GG, which is also a subsidiary of Asmodee... So it may be a simple consolidation of various RPG lines from differing companies under the Asmodee umbrella? Not unlike the consolidation of accessory manufacturing that was announced last year?

Curious, but this does give me some hope for the future of Genesys.

There is some possibly telling wording at the new English website for EDGE. https://edge-studio.net/

Since then, it seemed logical to entrust this activity within the group to a single studio, a group of experienced people all over the globe that will be completely and exclusively devoted to role-playing games publishing.

It mentions entrusting RPG's to a single studio, then says what I bolded. Does this mean freelancers?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Swordbreaker said:

Beat me to it.

Seems already-planned books will be published as they are now (quite probably still through FFG) with Edge taking over gradually in future.

Reddit thread its: https://www.reddit.com/r/genesysrpg/comments/fgnvik/gama_asmodee_keynote/

and

https://www.reddit.com/r/genesysrpg/comments/fgzscc/edge_studio_now_has_an_english_website_featuring/

And is there a future release teaser to be discovered on Edge's website? Interesting wording... https://edge-studio.net/

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
Discovery?

I saw Twilight Imperium art on their site.

I do think the former writers are doing freelance work for Edge. Can't confirm it, but reading between the lines during some communications with them, this could be true. Still no official confirmation though.

I honestly hope its the case.