Jump to content
Darth evil

Sticker Shock

Recommended Posts

I played X-wing for years and i stopped playing 2 years ago, i ended up buying the conversion kits when 2.0 was released but the love of the game had died for me and i just couldn't enjoy 2.0( FFG screwed the Intercptor with only 4 pilots and it's my fav )anyways i remember small ships being between 15-18$ cdn but i went in a store yesterday and was shocked to see 23.99 for a small ship. When did this hike happen and how does the game still survive on such high prices ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Darth evil said:

When did this hike happen

When they switched to 2.0

3 minutes ago, Darth evil said:

and how does the game still survive on such high prices ?

Because it's worth it. It's essentially the same cost in the US once inflation is accounted for, but the sculpt qualities and paint jobs are much better, by and large, and there's typically much more content in the boxes.

Also it's not common to buy packs just for the upgrades in 2.0 either, so great savings to be had there.

Add on the fact that you know the ship isn't just going to be obsolete after the next wave anyway. Basically everything is actually quite good (even the ones we typically called exceptions before have been buffed and are now just as good as everything else). Just pay attention to what is and isn't Hyperspace legal, if you care about that. I do both.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Darth evil said:

I played X-wing for years and i stopped playing 2 years ago, i ended up buying the conversion kits when 2.0 was released but the love of the game had died for me and i just couldn't enjoy 2.0( FFG screwed the Intercptor with only 4 pilots and it's my fav )anyways i remember small ships being between 15-18$ cdn but i went in a store yesterday and was shocked to see 23.99 for a small ship. 1) When did this hike happen and 2) how does the game still survive on such high prices ?

1) Hike happened with 2.0 release. 

2) Have you seen the forums?  ;)  Obviously, there's a lot of love for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feels much better value to purchase a ship now seeing as; 1) more ships are viable than (certainly when I played) in 1e, and 2) you're generally not having to buy out of faction ships to get your upgrades.

I also think a lot of the sculpts, such as B-Wings, are of a higher quality. Can only speak locally but we went from like 2-4 players in 1e to about 12-15 active players now, with 10ish showing every week for casual games. 

My one big wish for future releases are more card packs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ship quality is up (backwards belbullab and the tantive dial fiasco notwithstanding).

And the ships are all playable.

And you’re actually buying less unless you have to have all the factions because there’s less of the buying for cards like in 1.0

I find the game way better personally. I’m happy to pay $20 US for a new ship when that ship is playable with multiple pilots, looks better than ever, and I don’t have i buy multiples of everything only what I want to play with. Way better than $15/ship but having to buy them all for sure, and multiples at times for some

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Also it's not common to buy packs just for the upgrades in 2.0 either, so great savings to be had there.

*cries in Buzz Droids*

Fortunately, that's been the only instance of it so far, for me. Hotshots and Aces seems like it helped a lot with that too!

 

2 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

backwards belbullab

I thought this was for flavor reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ship quality is actually the same or down on most ships and paintjobs, with a few exceptions(B-wing, Fireball, etc)

Inflation has not been 33% since 2011.  the 33% increase is not because of inflation.

2.0 did some good things and its great that more ships are viable, but it is much more expensive than 1.0...  33% to 50% more in fact

 

Edited by Vontoothskie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

14 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

33% to 50% more in fact

Cursory search says 14% inflation. That makes up for half the change, the difference in quality, content, and increased development cycle for better balance (also rebalancing efforts etc) account for the other half. Also how on earth are you spending 50% more unless you're counting used prices for 1.0 ships, which is absolutely an apples/oranges comparison?

14 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

Ship quality is actually the same or down on most ships and paintjobs.

Now you're clearly trolling. There may have been a couple subpar paintjobs, though the B-Wing is the only one I can think of, and it's more than made up for in sculpt improvements. For the most part everything is somewhere between equal and astonishingly better. I don't think you can name a single example of something that's unequivocally worse than it's initial 1st edition counterpart.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

Ship quality is actually the same or down on most ships and paintjobs, with a few exceptions(B-wing, Fireball, etc)

Such as?

I can't think of any that I would call worse.  X-wings all flap.  Y-wings are super-much better.  A-wings look nicer.  M3-A's are much prettier.  Z-95's are way nicer looking than the old Black Sun ones.  New Silencer is prettier (and less ridonkulously huge but that's a sideways change in my opinion).  

And it's only more expensive if you feel the need to buy everything.  I didn't have to buy any of the re-releases.  They had nothing new in them.  I did not buy into Republic at all.  Could have avoided CIS too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ClassicalMoser said:

 

 

Cursory search says 14% inflation. That makes up for half the change, the difference in quality, content, and increased development cycle for better balance (also rebalancing efforts etc) account for the other half.

Now you're clearly trolling. There may have been a couple subpar paintjobs, though the B-Wing is the only one I can think of, and it's more than made up for in sculpt improvements. For the most part everything is somewhere between equal and astonishingly better. I don't think you can name a single example of something that's unequivocally worse than it's initial 1st edition counterpart.

lol youre clearly trolling.  injection moldin costs went down, as did freight shipping and labor costs(due to automation).  the inflation cost was actually cancelled out by their cost savings.

Second, 2.0 versions of the Slave 1, scyk, and z-95 arent great. color choices are fine and personal taste, but objective errors like windshield paint not covering the whole windshield are bad. I never saw that much in 1.0 outside specific ships, like the Y-wing.  most ships are the same quality with a few being notably worse.  new B-wings and blue ties are nice though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Guys and gals, this is the same guy that said that GW games are cheaper than converting to 2.0 X-wing. Can we just ignore the troll and move on? 

 

The paint jobs and sculpts are objectively better by essentially any metric. 

 

(edit) Also OP. The game is in a better place and as has been said it truly is possible to be single or dual faction so your savings there are also good. Overall, your hobby budget might take a bit of a hit but it really is worth it for what you are getting. 

 

To recap

Ships are better quality

Paint jobs are better

game is better

no need to buy ships from all factions for cards etc 

game is more balanced so pretty much all ships are playable so you WILL use what you buy

 

Edited by Timathius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Though in general I'd say model quality has improved, there is definitely some truth to the paintwork being of lower quality on some ships. From my experiences, the two standout examples are the Republic ARC, for which the painting was so sloppy and poorly defined that I felt compelled to repaint it myself in the existing scheme, and the TIE FO, which by comparison to the original looks cheap and nasty with an oddly glossy black hull and shoddily applied white on the panels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2020 at 12:10 PM, ClassicalMoser said:

Also how on earth are you spending 50% more unless you're counting used prices for 1.0 ships, which is absolutely an apples/oranges comparison?

$20 --> $30 in the case of the Arc-170. Maybe one other ship, excepting huge ships, had the same increase.

Interestingly the silencer went down in cost by 33% now that it is packaged in an appropriately sized box. I'm still a bit annoyed that FFG upsized it to the $30 box in 1.0 when it would have easily fit in the $20 blister.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Other than the initial buy-in, I'm spending FAR less on the game now than I was, because of how they are releasing ships, the number of factions, and the accessibility of the cards - and I play the game more often than I did during 1.0.

Edited by dsul413

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Skitch_ said:

Interestingly the silencer went down in cost by 33% now that it is packaged in an appropriately sized box. I'm still a bit annoyed that FFG upsized it to the $30 box in 1.0 when it would have easily fit in the $20 blister.

The 1.0 Silencer was a victim of Lucasfilm keeping the accurate details of the ship, its dimensions, and its role in TLJ a closely guarded secret, giving FFG only the most basic information to work with.

In this case, I believe that they weren't given accurate dimensions for the size, and the pictures they had didn't show it from behind/above, hence the difference in engine shape.

Edited by AceDogbert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were things that were handled rather poorly in the switch from 1.0 to 2.0 and there were things that were handled okay, and I would argue that there are still issues now even after the transition. Just because I didn't experience a road bump that someone else did doesn't make it any less annoying or valid.

 

I'm relatively new to the forums and I've noticed that there is a segment  of the population that seems to equate any sort of criticism towards FFG to that of having their puppy kicked. Most seem to not fall into this category but for the few that do. Why berate those who had a negative experience? Maybe the grievance of one didn't impact you but it did someone else and jumping all over them and referring to them as a troll accomplishes what? Alienating them from the forums, or at the very least come to the conclusion that there are a bunch of a**h*** playing the game.

 

There have been a few quality control issues, the price hike on some of the models seems reasonable  but not on all. If your used to spending $15 for a model and find that they are $20 I can see an appreciate where that would be annoying.  I may not %100 agree with the  complaint  but I can appreciate  that others find it annoying.  Is that really so hard to do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Freaknut said:

I'm relatively new to the forums and I've noticed that there is a segment of the population that seems to equate any sort of criticism towards FFG to that of having their puppy kicked. Most seem to not fall into this category but for the few that do. Why berate those who had a negative experience? Maybe the grievance of one didn't impact you but it did someone else and jumping all over them and referring to them as a troll accomplishes what? Alienating them from the forums, or at the very least come to the conclusion that there are a bunch of a**h*** playing the game.

There have been a few quality control issues, the price hike on some of the models seems reasonable but not on all. If your used to spending $15 for a model and find that they are $20 I can see an appreciate where that would be annoying.  I may not %100 agree with the  complaint but I can appreciate that others find it annoying.  Is that really so hard to do?

I don't believe anyone was berating OP for saying things went up, but more providing reasons as to why the price increase would exist, and why they think that increase is justifiable. Berating Vontoothskie, however, from what I have noticed is somewhat warranted, as they have expressed some clearly false assertions on several occasions. As @Timathius pointed out, Von asserted converting X-wing is more expensive that Games Workshop games which was provably false.

Von saying model quality is down is downright weird; perhaps there are outliers, but every new model I have bought has been of higher mold quality and a better paint job. As you say, there have been some quality control errors, but those also existed in 1st Edition as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

I don't believe anyone was berating OP for saying things went up, but more providing reasons as to why the price increase would exist, and why they think that increase is justifiable.

I know this was the intent of my comments: explanation of what happened and why I’m still ok with it.

Legion has also seen a sharp price increase lately (and a bigger jump than xwing has), and I’ve been far more critical of that for reasons I laid out in that board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know Runewars was originally going to have $30-35 expansions, but a large group of people were vocal about not buying in because of that. A week later the expansions were all listed on the FFG website as $25, which was a very welcome change.

And then 2.5 years later the game was discontinued. Connection? Maybe.

I think if we want this game to continue we're going to have to accept that maybe the profit margins from 1.0 would not sustain the game from a production standpoint in the current economic environment. (Which is what I fear happened to Runewars, in addition to a very modest fan base).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

I know Runewars was originally going to have $30-35 expansions, but a large group of people were vocal about not buying in because of that. A week later the expansions were all listed on the FFG website as $25, which was a very welcome change.

And then 2.5 years later the game was discontinued. Connection? Maybe.

I think if we want this game to continue we're going to have to accept that maybe the profit margins from 1.0 would not sustain the game from a production standpoint in the current economic environment. (Which is what I fear happened to Runewars, in addition to a very modest fan base).

Exactly. And I would MUCH rather pay a premium price for a wonderfully balanced game where I have total purchase autonomy than pay less for a game that draws you in with cheap prices but then forces you to keep paying over and over through power creep, Pay-To-Win, and predatory tactics.

This goes for all games, tabletop and electronic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2020 at 6:18 PM, Darth evil said:

...how does the game still survive on such high prices ?

Because it's quite literally the single best tabletop miniatures game of all time.  Simple as that, really.

Having the Star Wars license is just the icing on the cake.

On 3/6/2020 at 7:20 PM, Vontoothskie said:

lol youre clearly trolling...

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2020 at 3:37 PM, Timathius said:

Guys and gals, this is the same guy that said that GW games are cheaper than converting to 2.0 X-wing. Can we just ignore the troll and move on? 

 

The paint jobs and sculpts are objectively better by essentially any metric. 

 

(edit) Also OP. The game is in a better place and as has been said it truly is possible to be single or dual faction so your savings there are also good. Overall, your hobby budget might take a bit of a hit but it really is worth it for what you are getting. 

 

To recap

Ships are better quality

Paint jobs are better

game is better

no need to buy ships from all factions for cards etc 

game is more balanced so pretty much all ships are playable so you WILL use what you buy

 

I'll go through the math again if you didnt get it the first time.  But the short of it is that buying the kill team, necromunda, warcry or blood bowl boxed sets (which each contain 2 full factions) is factually is cheaper than converting to 2.0 if you play epic or needed a 2nd conversion set.  math is cool in that its straight facts. your opinion is not relevant to math

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...