Sign in to follow this  
Arcanis161

212th only and other purchase questions

I'm collecting a Clone Army that I'm painting as the 212th Battalion, and I've got a couple of questions on some of the latest expansions:

-Virtually every list I'm seeing has Rex included. At this point, is he absolutely necessary? I kinda don't want him at this point as I am doing 212th exclusively (may get him later to do paint him alongside Echo, Fives, Jesse, and the rest of the 501st characters), and I don't yet have the freehand skills to do his armor.

-How many sets of Mk II Clones would you all recommend? I've got 4 squads of Mk I Clones already (5 once I get an upgrade pack ;) ).

-Since I will be getting a Mk I Upgrade pack, does the captain have a good use? I feel like he's a bit expensive for what he does.

Rex is cheap. Cheap commanders are good because you can use more...stuff in your army. Kenobi is good as well, but isn't cheap.

If you have 5 P1s, then probably not more than 1 P2 squad. You can do more, but that's really only if you want to run all P2s.

Action economy is extremely important for clones. The captain lets you keep both your actions. Access to training upgrade is also very nice. It gets expensive though, and points are tight if you want Kenobi as well.

The Republic faction struggles with lack of points. We have really good units, but they’re all expensive in points. Rex is a cheap commander that will probably be replaced by the generic Commander in many lists when it comes out. The problem is that FFG can’t put stuff out fast enough. 😁

As for P2s, I think the normally recommended number is 1-3, though getting that free surge token is soooo useful, but it always comes down to points.

As far as the upgrade pack goes, it does have a lot of good stuff, but I think most people are recommending up to 2.

As for making thematic units, whatever you can paint or add on, is pretty much legal (to a point), so go nuts.😁

Don’t worry too much about Rex being 501st but appearing alongside your 212th troops. 

Go read Cody’s entry on any database. While he was the second-in-command of the 212th, half of his entries are going to start with “Cody, alongside Kenobi, Skywalker, and Rex...”. You’ll just have Rex ready once Cody releases. 😉

A fellow man of culture I see.  You have a few options.  Like FSD said, Rex accompanied the 212th all the time, so it's not too big of a stretch.  I plan on making my own Cody, which will be really simple.  Take the visor helmet from the phase 2 box and put it on a plain body.  Then all you have to do is find some wire or model the floodlight and antennae, and model the small box and antennae on his shoulder.  The ARC troopers have jetpacks that can fit on anyone.  Wait until they come out and slap one onto the model and there's your Cody.  Then it's up to you to either run him as a Rex proxy or just use him as a clone captain.

2 hours ago, Ralgon said:

Alternatively, buy rex and make a Cody conversion to represent him till you have an actual model and rules

This is what I did with Bly but then the phase 2s didn't have shoulder pads or kamas so you know

12 hours ago, Tirion said:

This is what I did with Bly but then the phase 2s didn't have shoulder pads or kamas so you know

Green stuff. Green stuff is the modelers duct tape!!!