Riggswolfe

Will we get Genesys Tannhauser?

It's a Genesys sourcebook I'd love to see. I know the odds are low after the layoffs but my understanding is books are still being done on a freelance basis. The core book sort of hinted at Tannhauser as it did Android (and Twilight Imperium). I'd love to see its weird war brought to Genesys. The closest I have to it currently is probably Achtung Cthulhu which is, admittedly, pretty awesome in its own right.

I have zero interest in Keyforge though I am sure it's next because it's a big seller for them right now. It makes me wonder if we might get some kind of Arkham files sourcebook for Genesys as well. 

Can we? Yes.

Will we? We don't know.

The RPG department at FFG was recently let go (i.e. fired), and there's a rumor that they were going to discontinue all RPG products eventually. However, comments from an official source has contradicted those statements (though not in detail), and they've since announced a few RPG products in the last few weeks.

As I commented elsewhere, I wonder if we can expect new supplements to come in the form of card packs like the one just announced for Keyforge. Essentially an adversary pack with some cards detailing rules expansions, locations, and adventure generator tools.

They could keep this sort of development inside their existing card game department, streamline production costs, more easily print to fill demand, etc.

I'm all for that model, if it keeps the rpg lines alive and kicking, and the Foundry continues to provide community created content.

When it comes to Tannhauser (and Twilight Imperium and Sovereigns of Steam), I hope for the best (supplements at the same quality before the RPG department was gutted) and brace for the worst (Genesys being killed outside of the Foundry).

We’ve got seemingly conflicting information from sources inside FFG. One named source (Kat Ostrander) has said that RPG development is not in FFG’s long-term plans. Another unnamed source (the anonymous chat mod of an FFG Live session) has said that RPGs will stick around. Interesting to note that both can be true: reprints of existing material can continue without development of new material.

While I’d love future development to keep coming, I’m inclined to give a little more weight to the information provided by the person willing to put her name with it, while hoping she was mistaken.

15 hours ago, Riggswolfe said:

My understanding is it'll all be freelance stuff going forward. We'll see I guess.

As @kaosoe mentioned, there is zero reason to believe this is going to happen. There has been no announcements about it nor are there any staff to oversee any freelance work.

8 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

We’ve got seemingly conflicting information from sources inside FFG. One named source (Kat Ostrander) has said that RPG development is not in FFG’s long-term plans. Another unnamed source (the anonymous chat mod of an FFG Live session) has said that RPGs will stick around. Interesting to note that both can be true: reprints of existing material can continue without development of new material.

I don't see it as conflicting information. The unnamed chat mod was very vague: "RPGs will continue." And considering that the Keyforge book is still in the pipeline, they're absolutely correct: from a certain point of view. And the surprise announcement of the cards (which have also been in the works for months at this point).  Which 100% jives with the "no new RPG material will be published, but what's been in the works will still come out" statement we got earlier.

As for @Riggswolfe's initial question: will we see a Tannhäuser Genesys book? Honestly, at this point, I wouldn't bet on it. At present the only new Genesys content we can count on is going to be coming from the community.

1 hour ago, c__beck said:

don't see it as conflicting information. The unnamed chat mod was very vague: "RPGs will continue." And considering that the Keyforge book is still in the pipeline, they're absolutely correct: from a certain point of view. And the surprise announcement of the cards (which have also been in the works for months at this point).  Which 100% jives with the "no new RPG material will be published, but what's been in the works will still come out" statement we got earlier.

Hence “seemingly” and my final sentence. 😏

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, O the Owl said:

As I commented elsewhere, I wonder if we can expect new supplements to come in the form of card packs like the one just announced for Keyforge. Essentially an adversary pack with some cards detailing rules expansions, locations, and adventure generator tools.

They could keep this sort of development inside their existing card game department, streamline production costs, more easily print to fill demand, etc.

I'm all for that model, if it keeps the rpg lines alive and kicking, and the Foundry continues to provide community created content.

I really hope this isn't the only route; cards (for me) have very limited uses.  I vastly prefer a textual document for this info, even if it's PDF and not print.  

I was an early adopter to WFRP v3 and initially loved the cards, but designing sessions and campaigns using the cards was a nightmare; it wasn't until their collected bestiary came out that things got easier.   

Cards work okay if I pre-stage a few of them for that session, but in terms of developing or writing content, it's so much easier to have a textual document.  Even if it's Terrinoth where those stats are scattered everywhere (which I also found frustrating from a design/development POV, but it was still better than thumbing through cards and flipping back and forth). 

That said, I would LOVE to have a Tannhauser sourcebook/material. Stuff on setting, vehicles, gear, and a plethora of thematic minions/rivals/nemesis! 

Edited by HedgeWizard

I  think the Tannhäuser Setting is great, but don't like military campaigns in RPGs. Are there any sources (e. g., books) that can serve as inspiration for other kinds of campaign in this setting?

N. B. I own the board game, but this definitely focuses on the combat side of things.

I actually think the odds of this coming out are a lot better now. Edge Entertainment now owns the FFG RPGs, and I think there's a good chance the former staff is still being retained as freelancers on these projects. It still may be a long while, but if they keep the mindset of developing their own IP sourcebooks, it would seem natural that this would follow the Keyforge setting book for Genesys. I too thought Genesys' days may be numbered, but I have renewed hope with the Edge announcements.

@Colgrevance - I think Tannhauser has a lot of possibilities.  Sure, you could do a military-centric campaign, but I'm thinking more of special ops type scenarios.  Monster of the week, Cthulhu Mythos type investigations, etc. are what I am wanting with Tannhauser.  There probably won't be any adventures, so Tannhauser will be another sandbox to do what we will with it. 🙂  It is a genre I want to see represented in a more official capacity... then a Western one... maybe mixed with some Steampunk for a Wild Wild West type setting.