Jump to content
Nytwyng

Rey’s father was...what? (Rise of Skywalker novelization spoilers)

Recommended Posts

Just now, HappyDaze said:

You give me too much credit. I am but one rando among billions. 

you're literally the "rando" on this thread that started to nitpick on his use of the word "meanwhile" instead of his points and derailed the topic...

you're not responsible for the internet as a whole, duh, but you're definitely the culprit in this particular case...

can we move along now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MB -Fr- said:

you're literally the "rando" on this thread that started to nitpick on his use of the word "meanwhile" instead of his points and derailed the topic...

you're not responsible for the internet as a whole, duh, but you're definitely the culprit in this particular case...

can we move along now?

You keep on dancing to the tune.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

And, when it comes to "making up excuses," it doesn't get much more textbook than ascribing insult and malice to someone who simply made a film that you didn't enjoy.

How would you explain that mess then?

As for the part about Luke's training that I can see happening making what Rian did even more ridiculous.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, Palpatine is basically her father? Good to know because that's literally how cloning works.

The main issue I found with TLJ is having too many main characters, honestly just largely cut Poe out and you have a lot more time to build up on the character's that should matter. That and I really wanted Rey to go off with Kylo due to being lonely and ultimately abandoned by whom they cared about and ultimately forcing Finn to pick up a duty as a main character and do something other then being the second guy in the cop bro's dynamic. I loved it as a critic of expectations; I loved Luke being a washout who made a impulsive decision which lead to a tragic misunderstanding which was very much apart of his nature. I loved that Snoke jobbed it like a punk and Kylo finally became the bad man we knew he could. The only thing I would've loved more is if Rey had gone off with Kylo (given that she has no attachment to resistance, was disappointed greatly by her father figure.) forcing Finn to pick up duty as the main character instead of being one half of a buddy cop duo to another character. I liked him much more when he was alone and capable to make decisions and was actually allowed to have agency. Instead he's just Poe's best friend, pining for Rey like a side character in an anime story. XD

Instead we got Rise of Skywalker. Yeah. I don't recall being this dissatisfied with a movie aside from maybe Green Lantern. Throwaway anything interesting about the setting and dig out old shrivelled palpie for one last outing. XD Then again, I'm the kind of guy who found Rogue 1 a pretty terrible movie with great moments, and Solo a fantastic movie based on a throwaway line in a new Hope. I like it more when it leans into characterisation and less when it's just "getting the death star plans with our cast of expendable tropes.".


Funny thing is, I enjoyed both Force Awakens and The Last Jedi individually for various reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, LordBritish said:

So, Palpatine is basically her father? Good to know because that's literally how cloning works.

The main issue I found with TLJ is having too many main characters, honestly just largely cut Poe out and you have a lot more time to build up on the character's that should matter. That and I really wanted Rey to go off with Kylo due to being lonely and ultimately abandoned by whom they cared about and ultimately forcing Finn to pick up a duty as a main character and do something other then being the second guy in the cop bro's dynamic. I loved it as a critic of expectations; I loved Luke being a washout who made a impulsive decision which lead to a tragic misunderstanding which was very much apart of his nature. I loved that Snoke jobbed it like a punk and Kylo finally became the bad man we knew he could. The only thing I would've loved more is if Rey had gone off with Kylo (given that she has no attachment to resistance, was disappointed greatly by her father figure.) forcing Finn to pick up duty as the main character instead of being one half of a buddy cop duo to another character. I liked him much more when he was alone and capable to make decisions and was actually allowed to have agency. Instead he's just Poe's best friend, pining for Rey like a side character in an anime story. XD

Instead we got Rise of Skywalker. Yeah. I don't recall being this dissatisfied with a movie aside from maybe Green Lantern. Throwaway anything interesting about the setting and dig out old shrivelled palpie for one last outing. XD Then again, I'm the kind of guy who found Rogue 1 a pretty terrible movie with great moments, and Solo a fantastic movie based on a throwaway line in a new Hope. I like it more when it leans into characterisation and less when it's just "getting the death star plans with our cast of expendable tropes.".


Funny thing is, I enjoyed both Force Awakens and The Last Jedi individually for various reasons.

It probably would have worked better if they just didnt have Holdo in the story at all.  Have Poe struggling with what to do as he becomes the person in charge and is ill equipped to do it. Then have him send Finn and Rose to get the hacker. The whole Holdo storyline just detracts from the story...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

It probably would have worked better if they just didnt have Holdo in the story at all.  Have Poe struggling with what to do as he becomes the person in charge and is ill equipped to do it. Then have him send Finn and Rose to get the hacker. The whole Holdo storyline just detracts from the story...

I can kind of agree with that. Just yeah, there's a reason why the cut away to the commanders are usually fairly brief, usually the interesting conflict doesn't really happen there aside from the escalation of drama, it's the people doing the reckless rescue/on the front line. Much as I didn't like Rogue 1 very much, I have to admit that it sure knew how to run a dynamic running battle on many fronts space battle, those scenes were incredible.

In contrast; I can't even remember the space battle from Rise of Skywalker. All I remember is space horses and erupting into laughter when I saw them. XD Mainly because it didn't actually matter what those characters did; since the Emperor was clearly enough to solo the entire rebel fleet himself. That absolute madman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LordBritish said:

I can kind of agree with that. Just yeah, there's a reason why the cut away to the commanders are usually fairly brief, usually the interesting conflict doesn't really happen there aside from the escalation of drama, it's the people doing the reckless rescue/on the front line. Much as I didn't like Rogue 1 very much, I have to admit that it sure knew how to run a dynamic running battle on many fronts space battle, those scenes were incredible.

It's definitely a solid argument. I liked her introduction as it emphasised some of the same things as Rogue One- no, the Rebellion/Resistance is not just half a dozen heroes who do everything, there's a proper military with experienced commanders and everything behind the scenes. But yeah, as @Daeglan says, killing her off early and having Poe be completely out of his depth would've done the same thing. Then Leia could've dragged herself out of sick bay to pull the Holdo Maneuver, which would've been a great send-off for the character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LordBritish said:

I can kind of agree with that. Just yeah, there's a reason why the cut away to the commanders are usually fairly brief, usually the interesting conflict doesn't really happen there aside from the escalation of drama, it's the people doing the reckless rescue/on the front line. Much as I didn't like Rogue 1 very much, I have to admit that it sure knew how to run a dynamic running battle on many fronts space battle, those scenes were incredible.

In contrast; I can't even remember the space battle from Rise of Skywalker. All I remember is space horses and erupting into laughter when I saw them. XD Mainly because it didn't actually matter what those characters did; since the Emperor was clearly enough to solo the entire rebel fleet himself. That absolute madman.

The movie suffered from bad choices made in TLJ that made it hard to do Ep9. I mean they had to bring in Palpatine and shoehorn them in because they killed Snoke in the last film and then had Kylo choose evil....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Talkie Toaster said:

Then Leia could've dragged herself out of sick bay to pull the Holdo Maneuver, which would've been a great send-off for the character.

The problem being that, as far as the OT’s “big three” went, TLJ was planned as Luke’s spotlight and exit, with 9 to be Leia’s. Real life, sadly, complicated the latter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

The problem being that, as far as the OT’s “big three” went, TLJ was planned as Luke’s spotlight and exit, with 9 to be Leia’s. Real life, sadly, complicated the latter.

more like, just rian johnson happened

this isn't basic disney/rj hate before anyone accused me, he recently admitted in a hollywood reporter interview he didn't give a F about the established universe and previous and next movies, he just wanted to make his story

here's the interview link:

https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/03/03/star-wars-the-last-jedi-director-rian-johnson-admits-he-didnt-care-about-star-wars-canon-and-history/

no wonder the 3rd movie was a mess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nytwyng said:

The problem being that, as far as the OT’s “big three” went, TLJ was planned as Luke’s spotlight and exit, with 9 to be Leia’s. Real life, sadly, complicated the latter.

Yeah, I feel like planning should've taken a back seat there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MB -Fr- said:

more like, just rian johnson happened

Sorry, but I disagree.

The idea of spotlighting one of them per movie was put out there during production of TFA, which was Han’s. TLJ was Luke’s, and I recall a variety of comments from various involved during the production of both that 9 would be Leia’s. Like or dislike what Johnson did with TLJ, he had no control over the passing of Carrie Fisher throwing a wrench in that plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Talkie Toaster said:

Yeah, I feel like planning should've taken a back seat there.

Well, there wasn’t much else to do. The only other viable option would be recutting so Leia didn’t survive the attack on the Raddus, which then requires rewrites and reshoots of much of the final act (at least).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Sorry, but I disagree.

The idea of spotlighting one of them per movie was put out there during production of TFA, which was Han’s. TLJ was Luke’s, and I recall a variety of comments from various involved during the production of both that 9 would be Leia’s. Like or dislike what Johnson did with TLJ, he had no control over the passing of Carrie Fisher throwing a wrench in that plan.

Sure the passing of Fischer threw a wrench, but I remember tros as being a lot of retconning tlj, it wouldn't be such a mess if it didn't have to, so if rj had thought more of the established universe while making his own thing. but he didn't

and like or dislike rj, if you read the link: he admits what he has done. he literally didn't care about the other movies, his own words make it quite clear

Edited by MB -Fr-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

The problem being that, as far as the OT’s “big three” went, TLJ was planned as Luke’s spotlight and exit, with 9 to be Leia’s. Real life, sadly, complicated the latter.

Which if they had been smart in the year before TLJ came out they should have swapped them.  so that 8 was Leia's exit and 9 was Lukes exit. But then TLJ poorly handled things. It also left nowhere for Ep 9 to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, MB -Fr- said:

more like, just rian johnson happened

this isn't basic disney/rj hate before anyone accused me, he recently admitted in a hollywood reporter interview he didn't give a F about the established universe and previous and next movies, he just wanted to make his story

here's the interview link:

https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/03/03/star-wars-the-last-jedi-director-rian-johnson-admits-he-didnt-care-about-star-wars-canon-and-history/

no wonder the 3rd movie was a mess

Well... that's certainly a very... creative reading of what he actually said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...