Sign in to follow this  
Darth Meanie

The Imperial Response to Alphabet Squadron

Posted (edited)

For fun I decided to see if you could fly a Vari-A-Ball list for real, and it actually fits together! Sadly not the actual pilots you have therethough. The generics for the 6 add up to 190 points total, which left me a little bit of room for upgrades, and went with Passive Sensors on the x1 and Proximity Mines on the /sa. It actually looks passable as a list and fun to boot, I think I'll take it to my next game. Thanks for inspiring a new list for me to fly!

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v8ZsZ200Z202XWWY178X240WWY208XWWWW70WWY182XWY213XWWY229X&sn=Vari-A-Ball Squadron&obs=

Edited by Enigami

I think I'd rather fly a V1 rather than the Phantom.  Mostly because I thought Rebel Assault games were crap (Give me a true flight Sim like TIE Fighter or give me death) and really enjoyed the Rebels Cartoon.  Unfortunately you can't fit all the film/TV cannon ships in one squad cuz the Defender is too chonky.

A TIE Salad vs Alphabet Squad game sounds like a lot of fun.

***Tangent:  I remember saying when details of the conversion kits leaked that the Defender and YT-2400 were both mistakes.  Too strong.  They were either going to be terrifying meta monsters or priced out of viability.  I'm very afraid that at some point, FFG is going to drop their prices past some tipping point where unkillable Defenders and four dice turrets become a thing and everyone is going to hate life for 6 months.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Vari-A-Ball Squadron:

vsSDbq2.jpg

This is brilliant!

Where did you get that image? (I wish it had the TIE Brute in there too - could use some numpler puns)

Edited by Odanan

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Odanan said:

Where did you get that image? (I wish it had the TIE Brute in there too - could use some numpler puns)

The internet.  I bumped into it randomly while trying to find images for my Imperial Remnant card ideas.  But I have no idea what I was looking for at the time, so now I can't find it again!!

Edited by Darth Meanie

One of each of all the TIE variants in the Empire faction is 388 points for 11 ships!  All the Rebel __-wings only adds up to seven ships for 270 points.  Even if you give them a Starwing, the Rebels are sitting at 302 points...

3 hours ago, gamblertuba said:

One of each of all the TIE variants in the Empire faction is 388 points for 11 ships!  All the Rebel __-wings only adds up to seven ships for 270 points.  Even if you give them a Starwing, the Rebels are sitting at 302 points...

Looks like the Rebels need more _-wings...

623e4cc87ee6ccd7f5980625926462d4.jpg

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Odanan said:

Looks like the Rebels need more _-wings...

623e4cc87ee6ccd7f5980625926462d4.jpg

What is this sorcery? I've been on these boards for 3 years and I don't think I've ever seen it.

It looks like the illegitimate child of an X-Wing and a Torrent, and not in a good way.

Also where the nonsense does it keep its guns?

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ClassicalMoser said:

What is this sorcery? I've been on these boards for 3 years and I don't think I've ever seen it.

It looks like the illegitimate child of an X-Wing and a Torrent, and not in a good way.

Also where the nonsense does it keep its guns?

This is a re-imagined T-Wing*. It's guns (2 lasers) are just below the cockpit. There are torpedo launchers in the nose too.

* unfortunately, not canon anymore.

Edited by Odanan

On 3/5/2020 at 12:45 AM, Managarmr said:

The °Dad-joke" squad? Nice ones.

What about a Fearless like ability, and the name

"U got Balls?"

these arent new pilots or custom cards, he just changed the names as a joke. its Vader, Whisper, etc.

Posted (edited)
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 10:44 AM, ClassicalMoser said:

R60 T-Wing Interceptor

As it turns out, it's the illegitimate child of a Z-95 and an A-wing.  I thought I would give this design a spin, and it essentially shows why not every design is going to make it into the game.  The T-Wing is basically a bad A-Wing or a better Z-95, but not really much more than either in terms of lore.  I mean, I guess I could invent a way to make it special, but if you just go by what's available, it really should just be a design that squishes the stats of the other ships together.  Mind you, that does mean it is unique, but probably not unique enough.  But it's Star Wars, and I'm all about options. . .

Also, I would use the old A-wing dial for this model, with all straight maneuvers being Blue.  Which would be a fun way to get some mileage out of dead 1.0 components!

tyrHby6.jpg

FPRfRJe.jpgxzfyYZX.jpg

uXmPJxG.jpgFR6DVJS.jpg

xpRmUO8.jpgIPzzDi3.jpg

Edited by Darth Meanie