Archangelspiv

Train Thoughts: Will FFG let Fenn/Boba run its course? Or do an Upsilon fix?

I have no opinion for or against this, but because I’m a nerd and had time on my side I checked out list fortress. I was surprised at the amount of tournaments that had heavy Fenn/Boba showings. 
This list comes in between 182-187 mostly, which got me thinking, how much does FFG want a hyper efficient list with a 13-18 point bid?

The list is greatly dependent on play skill, it’s by no means an auto win, but it just means for the better players, here’s a no brainer list that you can stomp face with. 

So my question... well it’s in the thread, I hate click bait, but will FFG respond to this before the next points change, or give Scum 6 months of fun in the sun?

2 minutes ago, Archangelspiv said:

The list is greatly dependent on play skill, it’s by no means an auto win, but it just means for the better players, here’s a no brainer list that you can stomp face with. 

If it's dependant on skill then what happens when you match up against an even better player?

FFG aren't going to do anything about it. It's a fun list and it's not throwing the spirit of the game out the window like triple upsilons were.

2 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Something something audacious balance

Kidding, of course. But seriously though, same team. 50 would be plain silly.

When you realise Bail wasnt joking about his point suggestion 😲. I was playing around with 50 of course. 12 HP's, 4 attack.... it's a decent chassis.... 

49 minutes ago, Archangelspiv said:

When you realise Bail wasnt joking about his point suggestion 😲. I was playing around with 50 of course. 12 HP's, 4 attack.... it's a decent chassis.... 

Who wait what? 

I suggested 56-57. 

They won’t do anything about it. They’ll do something at the next normal points update. I’m just worried they’ll go overboard on it. The components are really only a problem together.

My main thought is make Slave 1 a variable cost based on initiative. Leave the rest alone. Boba Fenn loses some bid but still playable.

1 hour ago, ScummyRebel said:

They won’t do anything about it. They’ll do something at the next normal points update. I’m just worried they’ll go overboard on it. The components are really only a problem together.

My main thought is make Slave 1 a variable cost based on initiative. Leave the rest alone. Boba Fenn loses some bid but still playable.

I'd be sad to lose the thematics of Boba and Slave-1 being the perfect synergy that they are now (a dial-change ability on the highest-initiative pilot who can take it) but that does make sense.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Dasharr said:

I'd be sad to lose the thematics of Boba and Slave-1 being the perfect synergy that they are now (a dial-change ability on the highest-initiative pilot who can take it) but that does make sense.

No one's talking about losing the synergy.

We're just talking about making people pay a more appropriate price for it.

Edited by DR4CO

3 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Also why am I always bail organa. I don’t wanna die by exploding planet. Way too mundane. 

The good news would be you would go out with a bang lol.

1 hour ago, Dasharr said:

You’re not losing it: you’re paying an appropriate price point for it if the price for title goes up.

You won’t be able to fly those two ships and have a massive bid, but the list would probably still be legal. Or you could fly it and have lesser allies flying with Boba if he’s loaded out like he typically is in these builds.

I really don’t want to see Boba base cost go up even more, and I’d hate to see Maul clobbered because he’s not super powerful on any other pilot’s ship (he’s strong but suitably so, should stay as is)

Boba Fenn is fine, points wise. Is it a problem in Extended? Too little data, but I'd be surprised.

If it dominates HS, (not convinced it does, though very convinced it's popular), then rotate Slave 1 out. 

I'm a long way off believing 2 ship Fenn Boba is the best version of Boba plus tbh.

4 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Also why am I always bail organa. I don’t wanna die by exploding planet. Way too mundane. 

So here's the animated Star Wars movie I want to see:

Sometime shortly after RotJ, Leia and the rest receive intelligence of... dubious quality... that Bail Organa wasn't killed on Alderaan, but was captured while off-world shortly before the planet was destroyed, and has been secretly held in the Imperial Prison on Stygeon Prime.  It's probably a trap, Leia knows this.  But what if it isn't?  So she contacts the only folks known to have breached the prison and escaped: Hera Syndulla and the remaining Ghost crew.  Hera tells Leia it's probably a trap, since it was a trap last time.  Never the less...

Result: Leia and Hera lead a combined team of the OT characters and Rebels characters in an attempted prison break.

Would it mostly be fan service?  Sure.  But I'm fine with that in an animated movie clearly designed to be fan service.

And who knows, maybe Bail Organa is still alive.

Bail and Breha Organa were confirmed to be on Alderaan in the 40 short stories book that came out a while back.  Although I personally wouldn't mind this being removed from the canon for some of the other stories involved...

But Bail should stay dead.  Death should have permanence, and good characters need to eat it from time to time.  

8 hours ago, Archangelspiv said:

I have no opinion for or against this, but because I’m a nerd and had time on my side I checked out list fortress. I was surprised at the amount of tournaments that had heavy Fenn/Boba showings. 
This list comes in between 182-187 mostly, which got me thinking, how much does FFG want a hyper efficient list with a 13-18 point bid?

So my question... well it’s in the thread, I hate click bait, but will FFG respond to this before the next points change, or give Scum 6 months of fun in the sun?

Anyhow, no.

Triple Upsilon was a particularly annoying list that didn't really let an actual game take place.  It was kiboshed with very targeted nerfs to one pilot and one upgrade which saw no other play.

Boba/Fenn isn't like that.  It's an overperforming list, to be sure, but it doesn't hinge on a gimmick mechanic, allows an actual game to unfold, and couldn't be addressed with a narrow points adjustment.

Posted (edited)

There really isn't any problem with Boba/Fenn, and plenty of reasons why;

1) People need to learn how to play against 2 ship lists again in second edition. A lot of people got rusty. 

2) If it weren't for Boba/Fenn, swarms would run roughshod. The fact that Boba/Fenn gets knocked out at high level OP events by CIS Swarm is evidence of that. As a friend of mine says; Learn to beat Boba/Fenn if you want to make cut---learn to beat CIS Swarm if you want to win in the cut. 

3) Ordnance tools to beat Boba/Fenn are there; Plasma Torps, Mag Pulses and Discord Missiles for example. Proton Torps isn't being played alot right now, but perhaps it should be? 

4) Three words on the best types of ships to beat Boba/Fenn; Secondary Firing Arcs. 

5) Remember what makes both Fenn and Boba so strong; Range 1.

Boba is already the most expensive ship in Hyperspace. The only switch perhaps is Slave 1 costed by initiative, direct value to pilot skill. (Slave 1 would be 4 on Kath, 5 on Boba.) 

Players need to quit gripping over Boba/Fenn and just git gud at creating range 2 kill boxes. I suspect most of the complaints are from Ace players who hate seeing their favorite pilots get blown up due to not properly accounting for S1. We just need to let this whole "Boba/Fenn is so OP OMG!" mindset die off. It's barely been 8 weeks of the Hyperspace season, we've got alot of time left. 

Edited by Cloaker